68 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
EnchantedStudios says

For you motion graphics producers out there, who don’t include AE files, are you getting disgruntled purchasers complaining that they thought they were buying editable AE files when in fact they were buying ‘motion graphics elements’ (ie. Quicktime animations)?

I’ve had several buyers, in recent months, misconstrue what they are purchasing even though the descriptions are clear (I hope!). So a bad rating for a file purely because the customer didn’t fully comprehend the description – doesn’t sound fair.

The last item I uploaded has one purchase and one disgruntled buyer complaining of a lack of AE file, when the item description included ‘These are motion graphics footage elements, not editable After Effects files.’ Is there more I need to do in the description or is this a fundamental issue with the site’s clarity?

When using the VH search box, I wonder if the resulting list of files requires better indication between file ‘types’. The current ‘categories’ filtering process (on the right hand side) seems to be ignored by people in a rush and who maybe come to expect the files to be AE projects.

Is there an additional ‘something’ we need to differentiate an editable AE file from a flat motion graphic, when viewing a selection of files.

Maybe an icon? Colour tint change?

You may suggest “Why not just add the After Effects file to the download” but this opens a can of worms relating to AE versions, plugins etc – and it shouldn’t be an issue when you are trying to provide a, relatively, universal animated element or set of elements. Plus, it isn’t always After Effects which has been used to create them (I’ve had similar requests for an AE file when the animation is clearly a 3D render).

Any thoughts, or ways of constructing the item description text to avoid confusion, gladly appreciated. Perhaps large, bold red text at the top ‘NOT AN AFTER EFFECTS FILE’!

A bigger discussion point may be the site’s search system itself. Do most people use the primary navigation bar to search for files? I always use the main search box FIRST, so should the search be filtered at ‘this point’ (ie. AE, Apple, Motion Graphics, C4D Footage check boxes), before you see the results? As opposed to having to manually filter out the redundant categories afterwards.

1548 posts AEdorde.com - After Effects Projects
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
dorde says

Sorry to hear that you had a disgruntled buyers. It’s not a problem with you, it’s a problem with them. If your item is in motion graphics category isn’t obvious that category contains motion graphics, not ae projects? Example from real life: If you are selling cakes, you are not selling recipes. But if you want you can share recipes if you want, but you do not have to.
To avoid same situations maybe will be the best if motion graphic authors put quicktime icon on thumbnail and/or preview image, to make item clear 200%.

EnchantedStudios
EnchantedStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
68 posts
  • United Kingdom
EnchantedStudios says

I wouldn’t want to lay the blame solely at the buyer’s door, if they are up against a tight deadline to find certain file types and inadvertently use a search method which shows them ‘everything’ – I can imagine the frustration.

The Quicktime icon suggestion would certainly go towards solving the potential issue, but we’ll all end up peppering our thumbs and preview files with icons to make sure the file usage is obvious. This would be a shame though, and open to all manner of variation unless there were a template for position and scale of the icon.

It’s a tricky one to empathize with on here (the forum), as a community who know the difference between file types, but surely there is a way of making sure the buyer knows what type of file he is buying – before he even views the item description page, without relying on manual filtering.

Presently, if you search for ‘strawberry shortcake’ you are given both ‘cakes’ AND ‘recipes’ all mixed up and on the same page!

404 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
GhosTeam says

Not long ago someone posted about clients downloading AE-Templates without having After-Effects on their computer. Another case of misunderstanding the website…I think Videohive needs an upgrade!

A better search system for sure.

EnchantedStudios
68 posts
  • United Kingdom
EnchantedStudios says

Maybe it’s as simple as a reminder (disclaimer) screen, just before the buyer hits the DOWNLOAD button, re-iterating the neccesary programs/plugins required and confirming what type of file they are downloading – all simply repeated from the existing file information but made more prominent. “I understand that, by downloading this file…I know what I’m doing with it!”

64 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United States
MographMark says

What I eventually plan on doing is adding a “what’s included” first thing right in the product description. This would probably make it much clearer to buyers.

I love the way InlifeThrill does his product pages, it’s a great model to follow. I wish what he does was built into the submission process.

EnchantedStudios
68 posts
  • United Kingdom
EnchantedStudios says

Another motion graphics file purchased by mistake today “I thought this would come with an AE file… I wanted to edit this file…”

Confused buyer? Confused marketplace?

Definitely a bemused Author!

1265 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

Maybe it’s as simple as a reminder (disclaimer) screen, just before the buyer hits the DOWNLOAD button, re-iterating the neccesary programs/plugins required and confirming what type of file they are downloading – all simply repeated from the existing file information but made more prominent. “I understand that, by downloading this file…I know what I’m doing with it!”

that’s a good idea, right before buying screen is “I understand the following is included/required to use this file”... or some way to make it clear for newbs…

on the lighter side, that would be funny if someone who bought stock footage of a dancing girl emailed saying “hey where’s the girl, I bought the video of?”... same kind of thing

39 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Moldova', Republic of
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Nullifier says

I had many troubles with those who can’t read the description and understand that this is Cinema 4D template category (even if it is mentioned). And then they rate my projects with 1 star. Great. I assume that many byuers don’t even read the description.

5069 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Funny… this hasn’t happened to me once. I wonder if it’s to do with the fact that I put a little icon in the thumbnails and images…

http://1.s3.envato.com/files/5912335/vortex_590.jpg
by
by
by
by
by
by