• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+3 more
OhmLab says

It’s a bit cliquish here, I think, in more ways than one. But one such element of it is that I notice people being featured on the “weekly features” repeatedly while others are never featured. Seems kind of lopsided to me.
+5

+1!

1148 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

But one such element of it is that I notice people being featured on the “weekly features” repeatedly while others are never featured. Seems kind of lopsided to me.

That’s quite the statement given that there have been 45 consecutively different artists with the Weekly Feature.

Incidentally, the one after that 45th artist is me again, and that file was featured because it won a marketplace competition.

So, the facts would suggest that the weekly feature seems to be handled pretty fairly, but maybe I’m missing something.

139 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
SERFmusic says

But one such element of it is that I notice people being featured on the “weekly features” repeatedly while others are never featured. Seems kind of lopsided to me.

That’s quite the statement given that there have been 45 consecutively different artists with the Weekly Feature.

Incidentally, the one after that 45th artist is me again, and that file was featured because it won a marketplace competition.

So, the facts would suggest that the weekly feature seems to be handled pretty fairly, but maybe I’m missing something.

Great Response Gareth.

To the defense of some of these “Big Sellers” and some of those that have been here a while, they all have worked hard and have put in time here on AudioJungle. Besides, I’m sure we would all love to be there someday anyway ;)

I’m sure there’s more to selling music than just having a featured file as well. If your focus is quality & consistency, then buyers will sooner or later find you. This is what I have found to be true with my short time here so far.

eXodus, strive to upload consistently and make sure what you upload is not only great quality, but it’s commercially usable. I wish you the best.

43 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
sebastian6 says

Gareth and SERF -

It’s more than just you, Gareth, that has been repeated in the weekly features. And SERF , I don’t think anywhere in my original post I posited that being featured was the key to success.

You guys don’t need to get defensive.

The fact remains, there are those that are featured more than once and then there are those that are never featured. And if you submit that this is because of the quality of music, I’ll have to call bs on that. There are many, many talented people on here that have not gotten any attention in feature or even from people in this forum.

So, nope, still biased.

139 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
SERFmusic says

Gareth and SERF -

It’s more than just you, Gareth, that has been repeated in the weekly features. And SERF , I don’t think anywhere in my original post I posited that being featured was the key to success.

You guys don’t need to get defensive.

The fact remains, there are those that are featured more than once and then there are those that are never featured. And if you submit that this is because of the quality of music, I’ll have to call bs on that. There are many, many talented people on here that have not gotten any attention in feature or even from people in this forum.

So, nope, still biased.

Sebastian, my intention wasn’t to rub you the wrong way. I was only stating my opinion. That was the basis of this thread. I never accused you of saying that YOU said being featured was the key. I was stating my opinion that being featured isn’t the only way to getting sales. Also I’ve noticed on the forums these days that there’s negative talk about some of the top sellers but I wanted to defend that. They worked hard, that’s all.

I never said YOU were wrong…I actually agree with you to a certain extent. But I also agreed with Gareth, who had a valid point. No harm :) Nothing but love.

1148 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
garethcoker Reviewer says

Don’t think either of us are being defensive. As for me, I’m just countering your statement because I don’t agree with it, and all I’m doing is clicking through the weekly features tab through the homepage and looking at the facts.

I don’t think that almost a year between repeated weekly features warrants saying the site has a ‘bias’. Maybe in other areas, but if we’re talking solely about the weekly features (which I am), there’s just very little evidence to support it I’m afraid.

The fact is, the only artist to have a repeated feature in the last year is me.

Additionally, since you joined (according to your profile in January 2012), no artist has ever had a weekly feature twice.

Since you joined, over two-thirds of the weekly features have been from artists who started selling in the last 12 months. That hardly warrants the ‘clique’ statement (in my opinion).

There is also nothing on Audiojungle (or other Envato sites) that says a different (or new) artist has to be featured every week.

Finally, there’s only 52 weeks in the year! It’s impossible to feature everyone.

711 posts Plastic it's fantastic:))
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+4 more
plastic3 says

Maybe the best option will be automatically featured items, which already have 100 sales (for example)..it will remove all the questions..sometimes it’s really seems to be a little subjective, especially when after a month on a main page and a few months after some tracks have just a few sales or even zero (i remember such a case)..

156 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
benjijackson says

Not luck at all. Talent, Savvy, Hard work, and PERSISTENCE . If you post kick ass music week after week it WILL sell. I mean, some people might think their song is kick ass, but then when you play it side by side with the top sellers, is it REALLY that great? I think the luck aspect is replaced by savvy at a certain point, and what i mean by savvy is the ability to think in other peoples shoes, to anticipate what people want to hear and put your own original spin on it. Luck is for people that don’t know what they are doing. It might be luck whether any ONE of your tracks hits or misses, but as a whole the luck fades into the background. Someone with talent, savvy, hardwork, and persistence will outsell others generally.

+1 very well said

657 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
ZtarrZound says

Maybe the best option will be automatically featured items, which already have 100 sales (for example)..it will remove all the questions..sometimes it’s really seems to be a little subjective, especially when after a month on a main page and a few months after some tracks have just a few sales or even zero (i remember such a case)..
Some type of process would eliminate the accusations for sure. But a solution such as yours would only increase the “problem” some have of sales being a large determining factor of what items get the most exposure.

IMO there is no real best option as one can find issue with pretty much anything that can be proposed. But I do think it should be taken into account the amount of times a single author should be allowed to have an item featured within a certain timeframe.

I’d also like to see the featured file feature expanded per category so as to have feature files for each genre represented.

763 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
StudioEtude says

I think there are ways to address this issue, for example to show 4 or 5 authors of the week . To such a question would be to increase home page … and then in the year will be 52 weeks * 4 = 220 authors a year, because we are more and more …

by
by
by
by
by
by