43 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
nmusic says

Hey I’m new to AJ and this is my first post, I don’t understand how some people could compose – orchestrate – mix – master in a few hours…. let’s be honest :) I’m not talking about logos or 20 seconds loops obviously… I for example can finish a 2 minute decent not to complicate track in at list an entire intense day, but more probably 2 or maybe more. But then again there are indeed times when music…just “comes” to you and flows so easily…until you get again to the technical mixing etc. part…and those 20 joyful minutes of composing become hours of adjustments… Discipline is the key anyway ;)

Believe me if I tell you I’ve seen musicians hanging all day around in the studio not making music and then in one hour a national tv advert music is done starting from zero…and not a bad result. It really depends on your experience, inspiration, if you are familiar or not with what you are doing.

In my case the easier and faster part is mixing and mastering, so I guess everyone walks a different path when doing things. Hopefuly the most important thing is to have the better possible result. I really don’t care too much about time vs money as many people do, so really how fast or slow we are is not relevant to me but very relevant when you work with deadlines. So people working as real pros in the industry develop an amazing speed doing “anything”.

409 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
joesacco says

Hey I’m new to AJ and this is my first post, I don’t understand how some people could compose – orchestrate – mix – master in a few hours…. let’s be honest :) I’m not talking about logos or 20 seconds loops obviously… I for example can finish a 2 minute decent not to complicate track in at list an entire intense day, but more probably 2 or maybe more. But then again there are indeed times when music…just “comes” to you and flows so easily…until you get again to the technical mixing etc. part…and those 20 joyful minutes of composing become hours of adjustments… Discipline is the key anyway ;)

I think you have to treat mixing and editing as part of creating the track. When you look at it as a chore it won’t be fun. Also take breaks when you need to. Most simple tracks I can complete within a few hours. When I first started it took me weeks to finish one track!

11 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Spain
DJTMusic says

Hey GoldenHeart! It is possible to make music at one time brief and with quality… but it depends on that music’s structural complexity. A logo becomes relatively quick. A track of 2 or more minutes, it is necessary to invest time, and they can be days, or perhaps one week. I prefer tranquility and to have the enough time to compose well and to be more meticulous building an orchestration that if I have to make the work to the speed of the light… lol

5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
SonicLetters says

Sometimes it takes an hour or two, sometimes 2-3 days. Depends on free time availible and complexity.

79 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
RFPML says

15 minutes or several days

12 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
GoldenHeart says

thank you!!!

143 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+1 more
nahkaorava says

Like many said, it depends on the complexity of the track.

Also, when you write music in a style you are really familiar with and use the plugins you know well, writing music can be really fast. But if you try out new plugins and new composing/mixing techniques it’s much more time consuming.

147 posts
+2 more
JasonGraham says

The Ukelele was a fun little instrument. : ) seems to be required here…

:) Good one…yes, if your track doesn’t have ukulele in it, IT’S CRAP!

I was curious about this myself, so good topic. I probably put in way more time than I should, but for me, it’s fun and it’s my hobby. So if I end up making a nickel per minute or nothing at all, I guess it’s OK. I probably put in anywhere between 4-24 hrs (1/2 day to 3 days) per track for composition, production, arrangement, mixing and mastering (and of course prepping for AudioJungle).

515 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
JonBuice says

The Ukelele was a fun little instrument. : ) seems to be required here…

:) Good one…yes, if your track doesn’t have ukulele in it, IT’S CRAP!

I was curious about this myself, so good topic. I probably put in way more time than I should, but for me, it’s fun and it’s my hobby. So if I end up making a nickel per minute or nothing at all, I guess it’s OK. I probably put in anywhere between 4-24 hrs (1/2 day to 3 days) per track for composition, production, arrangement, mixing and mastering (and of course prepping for AudioJungle).

I still don’t have a ukulele track yet…

Yeah I’d say i’m on the longer end of production time. But it’s mainly because I’m picky and try to meet a certain standard for myself before releasing anything. Also if you come back to a track after some time, you may have different opinions about it, i.e. for mixing/mastering purposed.

147 posts
+2 more
JasonGraham says

I still don’t have a ukulele track yet…

Me either. I do have an Ukulele, and have been resisting the temptation to put it in a track on AJ. But I will. If it’s what people want, then it’s up to us to give it to them! Anyway, my wife would be pleased if I came out with a happy ukulele tune, as I got the uke’ on our honeymoon in Hawaii.

But anyway, that’s off topic.

But it’s mainly because I’m picky and try to meet a certain standard for myself before releasing anything. Also if you come back to a track after some time, you may have different opinions about it, i.e. for mixing/mastering purposed.

Me too, I’m a perfectionist to a fault! And good point, it’s definitely good to get away from a song for a while, then come back to it, rather than sitting for 16 straight hours and releasing it right away.

by
by
by
by
by
by