228 posts
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Alisiya says

Melody can be born in a few minutes, and the processing is dependent on the availability of free time. :)

53 posts
Jay-P says

Thank you all for your replies :-). Sometimes I see myself in what you describe hehe.

In all the cases I would say, the most important thing when you’re composing, is to always put a part of your soul in your music. I think that if you do like this, you’ll make all the tracks more naturally.

PatrickAThompson
PatrickAThompson Recent Posts Threads Started
144 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+2 more
PatrickAThompson says

It’s very interesting to see the different approaches we’re all taking.

Like inspiration, the time it takes varies. My best-selling track was done in about 2-3 hours. But my favorite tracks have taken days… (And I do this full-time).

My take on it is that I MUST assume a balance between time spent on a track, and what I think the track will earn me in the long-haul. It’s the age-old battle and balance of quality vs. quantity. I’ve only been on AJ for about 2 months, so I’m still getting tuned in to what sells, and what doesn’t.

Fortunately, for me, what I’ve found is that the simple tracks sell. The ones I pour sweat over don’t seem to find very many homes. This is good – in that (roughly), I can spend less time on a track and continue to build and diversify my portfolio… Cause, to be honest, spending an entire week on a track, hoping to make $5 a sale (or whatever your rate is), just isn’t worth it. I write quickly, and upload often.

Again.. it varies.. But I also must note that I’ve not always been this fast. It’s taken me years of practice – writing – getting to know the ins and outs of my DAW – learning shortcuts – learning the FULL capabilities of my sample libraries… and studying in school (so I can compose/arrange/orchestrate properly the first time, instead of trying 20 different things first).

All of that said, if it takes you 2 weeks to put out a 2:00 track - so what? In the end, the result is the same. As you continue with your music, your production proficiency will explode – as long as you keep at it. Like learning an instrument – it takes time. Be patient but diligent.

There’s not a single artist in the world who has completed a speedy, exceptional, sell-able masterpiece on their first go… It is my firm belief that we, as musicians, continually get better as we work. So… Keep working!

379 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
Yuar says

Minimum 1 day, maximum about a week depending on complexity of the track and of course inspiration. Mostly it takes 2-3 days for arranging, mixing and mastering.

38 posts
Noise-n-Music says

Always different in my case even though i have not so many tracks in my portfolio:

1. Idea, artistic image, mood, melody: several minutes
2. Recording material: few hours – few days
3. Mixing, mastering: few hours – few days

But in my opinion, this is important to divide a work process on several stages. :)

166 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
BeyondTheVeil says

everything ive submitted so far in this area of duration etc, takes approx 2-3 hours from writing till exporting audio all in. then as long as it takes to run off the AJ watermark and post it up.

1557 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
SoundFix says

everything ive submitted so far in this area of duration etc, takes approx 2-3 hours from writing till exporting audio all in. then as long as it takes to run off the AJ watermark and post it up.

Russell, that is ridiculously quick, I can be playing around perfecting a simple melody for 2-3 hours, I don’t know how you do it, but I want to be able to do it. Even when I finish I track I sometimes spend many hours listening and changing little bits until I’m 100%.

One day I will get there, one day… :)

53 posts
Jay-P says

All of your replies are very interesting and sometimes, I’m surprised to see how an artist can become fast on composing an entire piece! Like Russell or Patrick. Days after days I learn a lot about composing and I hope that this will continue for a long time! Thank you all :-)

166 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+5 more
BeyondTheVeil says

All of your replies are very interesting and sometimes, I’m surprised to see how an artist can become fast on composing an entire piece! Like Russell or Patrick. Days after days I learn a lot about composing and I hope that this will continue for a long time! Thank you all :-)

hi Jay,

i do find it easy now than i did when i begun this journey.i have written music in one shape or another for 24 years now.i had a stint of gigging for ten years with various instruments and some production work etc, but i never stopped writing and tried to write a certain volume per week year after year.

i strongly believe that writing large volumes of music is also a skill much like practising an instrument.where you would learn your techniques and chops, its very much the same imo, you hone all those years worth of ideas and chops and implement them into the market you are working for.

i also write mainly in the TV sector.a lot of library work, agency and scored work for tv, so this diversity alone, keeps me inspired to write new ideas.

i also spend a lot of time researching my market.i listen to all the tv cues for whatever territory, whatever genre, and de construct them to better understand how they perform, why they make a scene come together. i have to say i havent been writing for TV for 24 years! far from it, but i know that collectively, all my experiences and my honing have made it much easier to pick up a brief or a theme and run with it. in the last 12 months i have been veyr lucky to achieve placements spanning around 15 shows, approx 5-600 placements,some bigger scored shows for the US and promotional,advertising work etc. so basically i just brought all my toys into one big basket and hit it as hard as i possibly can. i write around 10 cues per week on a average week, and sometimes more so if projects overlap.

it is hard to stay on form but i know im using ALL the tools and techniques ive learned in these 24 years to aid me through the process.

so mixing and mastering are much more fluid, quicker and refined processes as i can recall what instance to use on a given track.having tried every style i can get my teeth into, i lost the “fear” of ne diverse genres a long time ago but having said all of the above, i learn new things about music and how i react to it, every single day.

its a lifelong journey.i also envy those who have found their voice very early on and make amazing music. AJ plays host to a wealth of amazing composers and im extremely proud to be among you guys

854 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
PhilLarson says

Jay-P,
I’ve been fortunate to talk face-to-face with a top 10 AudioJungle author and he said to me that he never spends more than a day on a song anymore. He told me that he used to but then he’d see songs that he spent less than a day on sell better than ones he’s spent multiple days on.

I’m rather new at this myself, but, in the little experience I’ve had, I’ve experienced the same phenomenon. I would encourage you to try to keep a song’s production under a day and work at this as a full-time job (8 hours a day), IF you have the time to do so.

Currently I’m working on another library getting ready to launch, which is why I’ve been unable to contribute as much to AudioJungle, but I’m still working 8 hours a day honing and perfecting my craft. It gets easier every week!

Good luck and welcome to the jungle!
Phil

by
by
by
by
by
by