78 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
kubawolanin says

Hey fellas! :D

Currently I have 16 scheduled tracks that just wait for my inspiration to come.

I’m wondering how many unfinished song ideas are in your hard drives?

Also, what’s your way to find inspiration?

I somtimes have a writer’s block – you all know what I’m talking about, right? :)

Looped 8 bars of some catchy idea and… completely don’t know how to make a song from this.

Cheers!

310 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
GroovingGecko says

I have about 50 unfinished at various stages right now I think. Maybe about 15-20 that are almost complete songs and just need touching up. I work a little bit on about 5-10 every day, depending on the level of inspiration. :)

606 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
TortoiseTree says

When I was starting as a composer/producer I had lots of “sketches” which I’d start then throw away. I think this is an inevitable step for any artist in any field. I recently took up painting again (something I haven’t done since high school) and I’m finding that expressing ideas is a lot harder and find myself starting and scrapping a lot of ideas.

When I started at this I did it all the time with music too. I would start and leave tons of projects, but as I got more practise and began learning how to express what I wanted musically better I found that projects finished themselves more and I grew happier and happier with results. It’s all about practise really.

I have had the odd occasion where an 8 bar loop couldn’t spawn into a finished work and my recommendation there is just spruce it up as much as possible then just submit it as a loop. It will be valued at 4-6 dollars but someone may find it useful,

As for inspiration, working in public places really does it for me when I’m suffering writer’s block. I always get my best ideas when I’m flying, which is ironic as that is exactly when it’s hardest to compose (very hard to bring a midi keyboard onboard LOL) but I often am able to sort out arrangements and sketch out ideas in the air.

Best of luck!!

310 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+2 more
GroovingGecko says

...very hard to bring a midi keyboard onboard LOL…

Not hard at all when you have this: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/KeystationMini32.html

It’s actually a very inspirational little keyboard that lets me capture all of those great ideas when I’m away from my home.

450 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Depard says

I have 158 unfinished projects on my hard drive:D Some of them are really good, so when I don’t have any inspiration to start something new I just select one of the unfinished works and finish it. BTW 6 months ago I had more than 200 unfinished projects, so I guess after few years I’ll finish everything I started:D

450 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Depard says
Or maybe this little thing:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDe3yHB1HY

...very hard to bring a midi keyboard onboard LOL…

Not hard at all when you have this: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/KeystationMini32.html

It’s actually a very inspirational little keyboard that lets me capture all of those great ideas when I’m away from my home.
262 posts
+4 more
W3llm4n says

I got right now just 3 unfinished projects. 2 of them in my HD and one of them in a Yamaha XS. It is kind of hard to compose in those old “workstations” but last Sunday I was fooling around with that keyboard and something nice started to come out and i started the project in the Yamaha’s 16 track sequencer. Hope I can finish it!

513 posts Epic Trailer Music
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
MartijndeBont says

At this moment, 7 :)

Stuck_in_the_Basement
Stuck_in_the_Basement Recent Posts Threads Started
467 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Stuck_in_the_Basement Envato team says

I have 158 unfinished projects on my hard drive:D Some of them are really good, so when I don’t have any inspiration to start something new I just select one of the unfinished works and finish it. BTW 6 months ago I had more than 200 unfinished projects, so I guess after few years I’ll finish everything I started:D

Same here, I have hundreds of ideas on external HDs that I have accumulated over the years. As you can tell, I am pretty selective (only 17 items on my portfolio). That might sound extreme but I try to keep the quality as high as possible, and frankly, I wish some authors would do the same, instead of releasing whatever is on their HD all at once, but that’s another debate…

78 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
kubawolanin says

Wow, thanks for your valuable replies guys!

I also have hundreds of song ideas and drafts of melodies on a various devices (laptop, mobile phone, notebook etc) but 16 of them are nearly finished as stock music.

BTW. Portable keyboard controller is nice, but recently I’ve been looking for some android apps that allows you to save midi files in the cloud storage (like dropbox etc).

by
by
by
by
by
by