• United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

This isn’t another show me all your monitors thread, I’m interested in how productive people are with less machines and screens…

I currently have a 17” MBP and a more powerful desktop with 3×22” screens. Since I work away a fair bit it’s frustrating to have to get home and “commit” my latest source or remember to “pull” before I leave…

I’ve noticed in the showoff your workspace threads that alot of you just use a laptop with an external display… do you find you have enough screen estate for running multiple applications and not ctrl-tabbing all day and enough va va voom for 3d packages or photoshop etc?

I’m considering selling my MBP and my rig and getting a new high end MBP (I need OSX) to replace both…

Thoughts?

1402 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

I have a beasty i7 desktop computer in my office with dual 24” monitors. I use remote desktop to remote in when I am away. This is working very well for me.

322 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Italy
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
mothinkers says

In the office i work with a dual 24” monitors, at home i have just a single 24”. I was thinking about a triple monitor setup but i’m afraid that it could be more distractive that productive!

939 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

I’m interested in why choosing multiple monitors? I can do alt+tab and ctrl+tab to where I want in less time than moving an eye. The only reason for me would be if I had some live changes and/or heavy duty programs that are slow when alt tabbed. But refreshing a page surely must be done and it isn’t live so it’s ok for me to have a single monitor.

1990 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Switzerland
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
matsteiner Reviewer says

I use i7-3930K, 32GB, Win8, 5×24” and 1×17” (the 17” is only for prompting lyrics to record). Of course I run two graphic cards to feed that many monitors :)
(here is how it looks: My workspace the 17” is not visible on that picture since it’s in another location of course)

2441 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
digitalimpact says

^ Hey Mr. Air Traffic Control, you have a blue spot on the top left; you should cover it up with another monitor :P (awesome setup!)

Me, I use the 15 MBPr on a Griffin Elevator + a 24” HP monitor (1920×1200).

1466 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

I currently have only one 23” screen and was thinking about getting one more, but I am not sure if it’s because I really need it or because it’s a cool thing to have :)

I mean, I write code in Notepad++ and then I need to switch to Chrome to check out how it looks, and I am not sure what is the faster way, using the mouse to get on the second screen and click refresh, or just alt+tab and then refresh.

Maybe if there would be a way to set up a shortcode on the keyboard to refresh Chrome even when it’s not an active screen, but I am not sure that can be done.

1990 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Switzerland
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
matsteiner Reviewer says

^ Hey Mr. Air Traffic Control, you have a blue spot on the top left; you should cover it up with another monitor :P (awesome setup!) Me, I use the 15 MBPr on a Griffin Elevator + a 24” HP monitor (1920×1200).
:P If you believe it or not, I wouldn’t use a 6th up there at the moment, otherwise for sure there would be another one. But since it’s too high for really working and just usable for monitoring values etc (in audio production), one monitor high up like this is enough :)
3446 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

I mean, I write code in Notepad++ and then I need to switch to Chrome to check out how it looks, and I am not sure what is the faster way, using the mouse to get on the second screen and click refresh, or just alt+tab and then refresh.

this is the faster way, and that’s why i guess many people like multiple monitors..

1466 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

this is the faster way, and that’s why i guess many people like multiple monitors..

Yeah I guess, it’s very nice.

To the online store :)

by
by
by
by
by
by