1179 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

Honestly, it takes as long as it takes until it sounds right and I’m happy to release it into the wild. This is often dictated by deadlines.

There is never enough time, but there always comes a point when one has to say enough is enough.

To quote Leonard Bernstein:

“To achieve great things, two things are needed. 1) A plan, and 2) Not quite enough time.”

:)

3682 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Located in United Kingdom
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

Good quote. I always remember a quote from my art teacher which for me applies to music or anything creative I’m doing -

“art is never finished, only abandoned.”

The trick is getting it to the point where you are happy with what you’ve made.

1122 posts
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Located in Switzerland
+8 more
SonicCube says

I’m often finding myself deleting the major part of a composition just when it seemed to be finished. This way, i spend sometimes about up two 2 weeks on a track ( or even more ). Sure not 8hours per day, but maybe 10 hours a week approx.

There are also tracks, which just “flow” out of me in 4-5 hours, but these are then more like intros and openers etc.

1179 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

One of the main problems I have is cramming too many ideas into one track and not developing the original ideas I had. What then ends up happening is you get a load of blocks which all sound really cool on their own, but in context don’t flow.

Musical structure is the hardest thing to nail (for me). I got a lot better at it in the last year, just dealing with the flow / contour / shape of tracks. Once the structure is sorted, I can orchestrate / engineer, etc… in no time at all. But damn, nailing that structure in the first place is hard. It’s easy to create ideas, much harder to develop them.

262 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
W3llm4n says

I agree with garethcoker ..to structure the song is one of the most difficult things for me. I think that If I have a 8 tracks DAW or something like that I would be more productive, because sometimes to have “endless” possibilities makes you wonder: what if I add an extra pad, or something in the bridge or whatever..

For me it takes usually a week, cause I just can work on my songs like five hours a week and sometimes less than that.

773 posts
    Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+1 more
StudioEtude says

For me the important thing is to come up with the theme, or rather the original arrangement of the track … It is always a resource of my brain, so I believe that writing music around the clock ))... But the record itself takes about 4 – 8 hours, if I know what I want:)

by
by
by
by
by
by