179 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+2 more
Pianojungle says

Hey guys, I was wondering how you make your drums. I ask this because most of the time I get frustrated trying to make my drum grooves. I use a drum vst and a midicontroller to play the drums but it just takes so much time and a lot of creativity gets lost while working so long on those drums. Also, how do you guys stay original with your grooves. A lot of times i recognize my groove from another project and once that happens I can’t stop thinking about the song I used it in and then my inspiration is totally gone. Any ideas for a better workflow?

48 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
MagnetStudios says

I also use a drum VST , well several in fact. Addictive drums, superior drummer, and Studio drummer. I don’t use the midi sequences that ship with these because they’re not original and sometimes very mechanical. Sometimes it can be something as simple as me sitting reading, tapping my fingers, I’ll immediately jump up and whack into Cubase, then mess around until I feel it has the right groove. Or sometimes I take inspiration from,(and this is going to sound a bit whacky) things in the street, like workmen hitting things or cars driving over manholes, all these things have a certain rhythm, that stick in my head until I get home and get chance to get it into Cubase. Over time I’ve learnt the more I mess around and probe the parts I’m creating, the better they become, so if it takes me two days just to figure out a solid drum part then I’m happy with that.

395 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
BigBouncyBright says

Any way it’s not real to be original totally in groove creation. There are a numerous basic rhythmical lines for each music style. And you can just vary them a little, and vary the fills, breaks, ends or vary samples, but all the drum lines, suitable for (non-experimental) music are already exist. May be I don’t understand something but, think this is right according to “well” arranged “traditional” music. I think nothing wrong if you’ll take drum rhythm from “Smells like teen spirit” and play it with the samples you have.

by
by
by
by
by
by