144 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United States
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
PatrickAThompson says

Here’s my thought.

If you want it to sound real… You have to compose as you would for an orchestra… Not by playing it like you would a keyboard.

For instance.. If you’ve got a nice violin sustain patch loaded, playing chords will not be ‘real’. In real orchestration, the more notes you have in the strings, the thinner your sound will be… Say you’ve got 16 violins, and you’ve got a 4-note chord… That makes 4 violins per note… But if you play it on a keyboard with the same patch, you’ll end up with 64 violins playing - which isn’t likely.

Start with proper orchestration, THEN use the techniques listen in previous posts.

My 2.3 cents. :)

curtisschweitzer
curtisschweitzer Recent Posts Threads Started
67 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
curtisschweitzer says

It is hard to make EWQLSO sound truly great when attempting fast legato passages with strings, but you can get very close by mixing and matching staccato/spicatto patches with their legato counterparts.

EWQLSO legato patches don’t respond fast enough for intricate, quick passages, resulting in a very odd sound. At the same time, there needs to be some sustain on the notes to make it sound truly legato. By mixing staccato passages with legato passages, and carefully balancing the volumes, you can usually achieve a great sound by using the short passages for their attack and the legato passages for their sustain. It is a tricky balancing act, but it is possible.

I eventually got tired of it and just forked over a large chunk of money for Hollywood Strings, which works perfectly on these kinds of passages out of the box.

1455 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Norway
Mihai_Sorohan says
One more thing, as a good news, KVR Challenge is going on right now and there are several developers competing (and offering for free) some really good pieces of software. From one of my favorite VST effects developers (Variety Of Sound) who offers a really cool exciter which can bring that “air” in the strings section, to several orchestral plugins, some modeling and some sample based Kontakt instruments.
You all should take a look there:
http://www.kvraudio.com/kvr-developer-challenge/2012/
806 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Art-of-Sound says
by
by
by