5069 posts
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+11 more
felt_tips Envato team says

Yeah.. if Videohive is losing sales, then the search facilities have to be the number one culprit. These are far behind some other sites, and considering the amount of content that Videohive has, are …. how can I put this politely…. less than optimal.

Part of the problem with the search engine is that it only reacts to key words. The search engine in its current state can only be as good as the 15 key words that are entered (and the title / description, I guess). How do you describe an aesthetic, genre and possible uses in 15 key words?

So more key words would be very useful. I think that limiting to 15 is daft and probably driven by the paranoid fear that people will start key word stuffing. Sure, you want to drive maximum sales to your files, but you also want people to know the content / style and that needs more than 15 keywords. 50 would be a good start.

Another very useful thing to be able to search on would be the genre of music used. Genres of music are much better understood and have much more standard names than do genres of motion graphics. If I were looking for something youthful for a club, I might for instance search on “electro” in the music genre. A drop down list with music genre (picking up the categories from Audio Jungle) might be very useful.

I also think the categories cause much confusion to both authors and buyers. They were designed at a time when Videohive had but a handful of files on it, and haven’t changed since. I think that Videohive should design completely new categories, based on the files that exist and on consultation with authors. These categories could be illustrated with several images, so you know the kind of thing you might be getting, aesthetically speaking.

Finally, it might be useful to have the videos analysed by predominant color. (or have a drop down for this).

But for heaven’s sake… get video rollovers finally! (and ones that actually do something useful like show a selected highlight of the video)

OK. Rant over. :)

58 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
dfranz1 says

Yeah.. if Videohive is losing sales, then the search facilities have to be the number one culprit. These are far behind some other sites, and considering the amount of content that Videohive has, are …. how can I put this politely…. less than optimal.

Part of the problem with the search engine is that it only reacts to key words. The search engine in its current state can only be as good as the 15 key words that are entered (and the title / description, I guess). How do you describe an aesthetic, genre and possible uses in 15 key words?

So more key words would be very useful. I think that limiting to 15 is daft and probably driven by the paranoid fear that people will start key word stuffing. Sure, you want to drive maximum sales to your files, but you also want people to know the content / style and that needs more than 15 keywords. 50 would be a good start.

Another very useful thing to be able to search on would be the genre of music used. Genres of music are much better understood and have much more standard names than do genres of motion graphics. If I were looking for something youthful for a club, I might for instance search on “electro” in the music genre. A drop down list with music genre (picking up the categories from Audio Jungle) might be very useful.

I also think the categories cause much confusion to both authors and buyers. They were designed at a time when Videohive had but a handful of files on it, and haven’t changed since. I think that Videohive should design completely new categories, based on the files that exist and on consultation with authors. These categories could be illustrated with several images, so you know the kind of thing you might be getting, aesthetically speaking.

Finally, it might be useful to have the videos analysed by predominant color. (or have a drop down for this).

But for heaven’s sake… get video rollovers finally! (and ones that actually do something useful like show a selected highlight of the video)

OK. Rant over. :)

Pretty much this, until we get a better search engine then the problem will continue to compound on itself. The iStock one is a perfect example of what we need for customers to narrow their search results progressively. That plus video rollovers would go a long way to helping people find what they need. I was doing a little testing where I took the role of a customer coming here and looking for a file. It came back with 213 search results and I had no way to narrow it further. That is as Felt says is, ‘less than optimal.’

127 posts
    Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Bogz says

in my opinion this upgrade to better filters search engine is needed in all envato sites. Just with different parameters for each one of them.

I don’t think they didn’t already thought about it. I guess some problem is holding them back otherwise it makes no sense to me.

+100 for rollover highlight video

1265 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

right re rollover preview video, I’d asked about that for years on the forum, it would be good to have since all vh’s competitors have had that for oh I don’t know like TWO Years already, lol.

Mark, got a date on eta for video thumbnail rollover preview functions here? I’d asked a year or two ago. Maybe outsource the coding if time’s tight?

Agree about all felt’s comments, and the search functionality.

Maybe a good related idea to this, is, how to REWARD /INCENTIVIZE top authors who make the greatest $25-$35 projects to keep releasing new ones? My concern in making this thread, is that with all the new authors and quick times on exposure, it would demotivate great authors from making a lot of great new projects… (is that true, or not?), since they’d get lost in the shuffle faster, compared to a year or two or three ago.

How can envato motivate, incentivize the most talented oldtimers here to create new higher-priced premium top quality projects? that’s my question to everyone… since I’m looking to buy those as always

5069 posts
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+11 more

Problem’s a practical one. Unless a template sells 200-300 times, freelancing’s much more lucrative. I’ve had some good sellers, but so far, my personal average is well below that. So VH remains a kind of hobby for pocket money, if and when I have time and inclination.

31 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years Has referred 1+ members Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Located in United States
sambotta says

I must admit it’s very hard for me without any suggestions from you buyers. We can produce tons of After Effects Templates,Stock video, Motion graphics etc… but sales are too low these days and it’s just waste of time without any suggestions. It would be great if we can have something like “Most wanted projects” just to know what to produce…
We have spent a lot here through other account. You’ve got a great idea! I’ll post a most wanted. We like the site, but we use time freedom to do what we do – we do not have a lot of extra time to search here.

We need work that’s so good that people here in “Hollywood” will take notice of the work. We have audience, but we need work and yet we do not have the budget to pay for full licenses of everything we want.

Personally, as someone that does not know Adobe CS4 , CS5 etc. we need more work that can be used on Final Cut Pro X without having to mess with Apple Motion or any other software. We need templates for Final Cut Pro X that do not require the use of ANYTHING from Adobe or anything else that requires sitting in front of a computer for hours tweaking 50 different levels of this and that.

We also need custom work at low fees in exchange for what we have to offer: The potential for a lot of exposure of your amazing work to a much larger audience. A lot of people now have the gear like the Canon 5D Mark II and Mark III and Canon 7D – I know hundreds of them, and they are in a similar situation of needing to utilize your work, all this Adobe editing that’s required… we don’t want to outsource all that Adobe editing on per hour projects. We want to live in present day (as a reminder, it’s 2012). This means that the complications of all the adjusting of levels in Adobe platforms, it’s fun for engineers and some artists, but what’s more important is realizing that a big part of the limitation is the fact that you’re working in Adobe instead of making what can be pulled into Apple Final Cut Pro X without having to hire someone that likes to tinker in Adobe.

Adobe authors around the globe that can do the work, but the paradigm of us having to hire someone to do all this Adobe (which has continued to need A LOT of time invested into editing the videohive projects) ... it’s a limitation. Until Adobe decides to create software that’s user friendly for the rest of us, it’s easier to purchase videohive ‘alpha channel’ projects. If I were you, I’d focus less on creating work on Adobe programs in a world where the content creators are migrating to more efficient ways of getting the best work done. Adobe is common and yes Adobe artists are everywhere, but the software requires us to hire more people to do repetitive editing tasks that more intuitive (present day) software designs can do more quickly.

If we’re forced to hire editors that primarily require us to hire Adobe editors, then we’ll have to opt out of videohive.

31 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years Has referred 1+ members Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Located in United States
sambotta says

Problem’s a practical one. Unless a template sells 200-300 times, freelancing’s much more lucrative. I’ve had some good sellers, but so far, my personal average is well below that. So VH remains a kind of hobby for pocket money, if and when I have time and inclination.
Your work is really good. VideoHive should be an amazing place for ‘syndication’ – the main issue is not VideoHive, it’s Adobe. We’re not alone in this dilemma. Specifically, the issues are 1. Finding Adobe Artists that can handle editing the level of work you’ve created, and 2. Hiring Adobe artists that can ‘complete’ what you’ve started within budget, and 3. On time. Generally we’ve found that they would rather do freelance work they created since they’re have the thinking of an Engineer instead of an Artist. I respected both types, it’s just that we need beautiful art that affects human emotions in a positive way that connects with real people. Projects done on Adobe indeed are the standard, but what you’re missing out on are the majority of your customers that need to buy ‘stuff’ that is ready to use on YouTube, Vimeo, on Television, for Radio Shows, for new Fashion Brands, Intros/Outros that are not just for NEWS – for shows, movies, fashion brands, short pieces that LOOK professional.

The advance of technology has brought changes in ‘who’ is using the product. I could refer a lot of people here IF the limitation of hiring Talented Adobe Editors was removed or simplified. I miss the days when an industry I was in needed more people like me… but with technology, that changed, so I had to learn how to use my talent for something that was at first intimidating to me.

Stuff that Adobe After Effects (example) is being used for is changing right now. The iPhone, Smart Phone, etc – it’s the new TV, the new Movie Theatre, the new Stereo and soon will be the source of so much more. Budgets for AE Projects are smaller now, but the number of customers has increased. Whatever you do, please think about us, the customers, we want to buy… but we don’t want to buy something that’s causing us to hire people that would rather work on their own Adobe creations. We’d rather have stuff we can drag and drop into Final Cut Pro X that looks better than TV, Movies etc. When a logo or text or photo needs to be changed, it should be simple to change in Final Cut Pro X.

Someone has the opportunity to stop competing with the overwhelming number of items in the Adobe After Effects section (8577 at this moment) and take the LEAD in the Motion Graphics section. Lead how? Create stuff that most of us need and want. If someone that’s reading this wants to know what we want, I’ll share it. It’s obvious to me. None of it is easy to find in the VideoHive search.

Note that at this moment more than 600 people have ‘bought’ the “24 Videos Data & Infographic Elements” http://bit.ly/OQR1tm ... The work of this Artist is amazing, and it’s a genius concept… stuff we could use right now without hiring more people. 600 sales at $12 each. You can do freelance all day every day, and get your hourly pay. But that 600 sales is automatic income for the Artist.

Why is it selling so well??? Well, it’s great work. But MORE IMPORTANTLY : Someone was thinking about the buyer… and also about what people actually are getting accustomed to seeing. It’s appealing because it’s becoming popular. Sometimes, to make the kind of money you say you want to make from VideoHive, you have to create what will become popular. These trends are simple to spot.

5069 posts
+11 more

So in short, more motion graphics. Make suggestions. I’m sure there’ll be a ton of authors jumping on your every word.

The downside to pre-rendered motion graphic elements of course is that they can’t be customized with new text content etc. At the moment, there is no simpler or more mainstream alternative to After Effects for this.

700 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
3dbacks says

How are you competing with all the new files lately? – Thread

very well:)

78 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
thepainterman says

As a buyer I appreciate the work you guys do,I can’t do it and the truth is even if I could it is cheaper buying a ready made template than creating my own.I’d suggest you set up your own sites,some themes on themeforest email me with new themes so clearly you have the means to contact purchasers so you could aim to sell direct.If you do this obviously the price would have to be the same on your site as videohive(I have noticed some charge more on their own site which clearly sin’t going to work out if the template is here!). I do marketing,seo stuff like that and alot more besides.Envato cares about Envato,the most wanted section is a great idea,will it be acted on,not quick enough I’d say.If you set up your own site offer decent affiliate rates min 30% per sale.This gets other people working for you and produces additional income you would not have got by any other means so it has to be attractive enough for people to invest time and some money in.Envato’s affiliate program is a one off on the first deposit,not going to attract many takers.Most buyers will simply edit the file and sell on,so logically buyers won’t want too many people knowing about videohive(e.g they edit a file for a client and say to the client go to videohive we will edit the file,lol you can bet the client will learn to do it themselves very fast). If you set up your site you can use adwords campaigns(if you have enough files for sale),buy 10 files get one free,loyalty discount there are literally hundreds of ways of increasing your sales.I’m not talking via videohive I’m talking setting your own site up and making it work for you.

Regarding the search engine it needs a few additonal filters added such as fuzzy(which uses related terms as well).I genuinely wish you guys and gals all the best with sales and the very least envato should implement is the most wanted section.

by
by
by
by
by
by