94 posts
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Europe
Inspoir says

There is this website Freebiesbug made by a guy named Pasquale; he hand-picks free PSDs, code stuff, fonts and other resources for web designers. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great and all, but generally when you click the Download button you will notice that all the download links are direct download links to other servers like Dribbble, etc. In each post you can find a description with the name of the author and a link where the author can be found.

So, my question goes like this, is he allowed to post a direct download link from i.e. Dribbble on his website (like click on the button and instantly downloads)? The only thing he needs to do is mention the author?

I’m just curios, I’m not judging the guy or something like that. I’m just curios, how allowed are we in such cases. Sorry for my ignorance. Thank you!

[link removed by staff]

1192 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
Pricop says

If the license of that PSD requires a back-link to the original source of the file and the author name then there’s nothing wrong with it. :)

94 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
Inspoir says

What? Flagged as inappropriate and will be reviewed by one of our staff… What was so inappropriate about that, OMG. What the hell are forums for? What is this? GOD!

94 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
Inspoir says

Don’t tell me that posting a website with free PSDs is against GraphicRiver’s sellers in any way, but posting 1000 websites with free images it’s not against PhotoDune’s sellers… no, that’s allowed. Delete the thread or whatever, this is stupid. I was just looking for an honest answer in “Global Off Topic”...

3365 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

I don’t think there’s any reason to get upset – one random user on the forums flagged your topic, it’s not like the community or Envato has condemned your post. I’m not sure what reason the user who flagged your topic had, but in general if you’re linking to a site that offers competing products to authors within these marketplaces, that is not allowed.

I think that Pricop already answered your question appropriately – this totally depends on the terms set forth by the creators of those works.

94 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
Inspoir says

I think that Pricop already answered your question appropriately – this totally depends on the terms set forth by the creators of those works.

Okay, thank you, Spark.

897 posts Community Officer
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Community Ambassador
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+4 more
Carmen Staff says

Hi Radu3329, As Sevenspark has answered your question and as you now know, linking to a place that offers competing products is against the community guidelines, I’m going to remove the link from your post. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. :)

94 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
Inspoir says

Hi Radu3329, As Sevenspark has answered your question and as you now know, linking to a place that offers competing products is against the community guidelines, I’m going to remove the link from your post. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. :)

Sure, no problem, I got my answer. I thought if this http://graphicriver.net/forums/thread/free-images/112385 is allowed, the link from my thread would be too. Anyway, no problem, I’m new around here so it’s good to know how things work. Thanks, Carmen.

3699 posts Community Moderator
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

IMO, ethically, I think it’s wrong to hotlink.

But on the other hand, protecting against hotlinking is easy. Sites like Dribbble et al, if they cared about it, they’d have dynamic download links which changed every hour or so.

It’s not hard to implement.

738 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

Something is fishy here. How do you have a moustache badge… :P

by
by
by
by
by
by