2201 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ArikB says

We’ve drifted off the subject ladies and gentlemen.

988 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
thomas07 says

In addition to what others have already suggested, there is one more small detail that can be really considered. I suggested this maybe 3-4 times already on other similar threads, but here is it again:

We have also item thumbnails on the footer of the marketplaces under “Recent Items” and they display 9 thumbnails. We all can see that there is enough space available to place another row and increase the item thumbnails to 12.

922 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says
We’ve drifted off the subject ladies and gentlemen.

Agreed, although there were a few funny comments somewhere along on our rabbit trail.

Summary so far: Consensus seems to be with the “updates” tab idea (strongly in some cases); less so for the “extras” tab idea – which isn’t to say that people don’t want the issue of the “nano-stock” files addressed in the larger picture, just that a new tab isn’t the right course of action.

I’ve been taking a tally of the ThemeForest homepage the past few days on the ratio of “Nano Stock” vs “Core Stock” elements (Nano representing the “extras” feature that was brought up in the OP, Core representing the core files that the site opened with including HTML , PSD, WP, etc.) – at the moment the ratio is 12/9 – that’s 12 nanostock files and only 9 core files. That just feels odd to me.

It’s still pretty early to tell – and perhaps the library of code snippets is just under-saturated at the moment (meaning that it will quickly level off once the obvious ideas for code snippets are covered) – but if a ratio of 50/50 holds true for the next month or two, I personally wouldn’t mind seeing some real discussion over whether or not a new site should be considered.

I’m sure there’s a whole mess of legal, logistical, financial, and developmental issues surrounding it (you don’t just flip a switch and open a new site – especially when most of the files already exist on another marketplace), but the strong supply AND demand for these files may just warrant such a move. It’d be like GraphicRiver, just for code instead of graphics.

Anyways, good discussion so far everyone (minus page 4 for the most part, hehe). Keep it going.

426 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
vasilios says

I have to agree that the number of PHP /JS script submissions will start to go down and level off. There’s only so many things you can do with a language that isn’t available online for free. ;)

922 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says
I have to agree that the number of PHP /JS script submissions will start to go down and level off. There’s only so many things you can do with a language that isn’t available online for free. ;)

Yep – that’s my guess as well… only time will tell. I should also probably re-iterate that the suggestion of opening up a new site, while it seems like a convenient solution, IS NOT a trivial move at all. I don’t speak for Envato or any of the admins, but a new marketplace introduces a host of new issues that I didn’t even list yet, so even though it seems like an awesome way of segregating content, the cons may outweigh any short term benefits.

4335 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+11 more
Reaper-Media Volunteer moderator says

Yep – that’s my guess as well… only time will tell. I should also probably re-iterate that the suggestion of opening up a new site, while it seems like a convenient solution, IS NOT a trivial move at all. I don’t speak for Envato or any of the admins, but a new marketplace introduces a host of new issues that I didn’t even list yet, so even though it seems like an awesome way of segregating content, the cons may outweigh any short term benefits.

I doubt that the cons will be long term, and the pros will definately be long term ;) a new marketplace is the way to go! :)
2715 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Won a competition
+7 more
DanielKeller says

I might be wrong… but you can’t start a new marketplace with not even 100 items… let’s just splitt all MP… SfxGarage, PreloaderDungeon, WordpressRollercoaster, PsdtemplateHelterSkelter :P

426 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
vasilios says

I doubt that the cons will be long term, and the pros will definately be long term ;) a new marketplace is the way to go! :)

I don’t think it’s a good idea. Like danielku said, there’s not even 100 script files, heck not even 75! TF currently has 1,265 templates/themes on it, not including the scripts. If a new script marketplace opens, it wouldn’t thrive like the other marketplaces are currently. You can’t sell 74 files and expect the site to grow quickly.

2715 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Won a competition
+7 more
DanielKeller says

the hard work you made, anyway what type of work, if its an good work you put in all your talent… it will find its way and will sell well as hell, even if it was not so long showed on the homepage

btw to make a new marketplace means another concept, another reviewers, another site manager, another blogwriter… and more

111 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Sandi says

so, back to subject “1. “Updates” tab: .....” 100% agree! no…. 1000% agree :)

by
by
by
by
by
by