• Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
pinkzebra says

A popular Comicon video uses my “Larger Than Life” song and gives my YouTube track lots of new views. A new video on YouTube has popped up titled “Pinkzebra Larger Than Life” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlUOJ2RGpMY with a sexy photo. It is stealing my traffic.

I believe the song has been licensed because there is no watermark, but it sounds oddly compressed so it could have been lifted from the Comicon video. Is there a problem here?

The song is being used to attract people based on the song, not a project the song is used for. Can I request that it be taken down? Do I have the right to do that if they bought the license?

I just changed my title to just my name and song title like this other person did. Hopefully mine will become the popular one. Very weird situation…

EDIT: Just listened again and it has the same edit as the Comicon video. I think it is a lift.

471 posts Think pink.
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
pinkzebra says

Another one just popped up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs9O0N4PnEI

Haven’t had to deal with this before. Any advice?

I renamed mine to “Official Version”.

Perhaps it is all good exposure and I should just let it go?

891 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
Kurlykovs says

Try contacting youtube and ask them if it is licensed? The guy with the video will have to provide them with a proof of purchase? Or how does it work? And as well if it is, you can post a comment in their videos, such is Hey here is where you can buy this track if you are interested :D

245 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • France
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
PurpleFogSound says

Though one on you PinkZebra! To me, it looks like the channel owner heard your song in that comicon video, got really excited with it and wanted to share it, for pure listening enjoyment.

It looks pretty harmless at first. But still, he is using music for which he has no license. If you let this one slide, with your huge popularity and portfolio, you’re heading for trouble. If videos like this keep on popping up, it’s gonna be a real mess.

In my opinion, you should set things straight with your “fan”, who probably doesn’t know better.

729 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Elite Author
  • Canada
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
TimMcMorris says

Hey PZ, I gotta deal with this all the time. A quick search will reveal many I’ve yet to get on top of. :|

What I do (for the sake of sanity), is limit action to the ones with higher views. Usually anything over 1,000 views. There are rare cases where I believe it’s actually benefiting me and I will leave it for a while.

If something is a lift from a legitimate work, I file a DMCA with YouTube and the content is removed immediately. Out of all the times I have got content removed not a single one ever came back as legitimate. If there is any remote chance that their work is legit, contact them, but in most cases it’s pretty apparent what is going on… especially when there are download links in the description :)

In the very rare and extreme case that someone purchases a license to play the song in it’s entirety on YouTube, it is debatable whether that falls into the category of “a separate / unique work” when they have a static picture for the duration of the song. I say it does not and would challenge anyone doing so. Again however, I believe those cases are almost non-existent.

Sorry to hear about the YouTube pain, it can be SO annoying.

160 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Zineb_Chraibi says

Hey Pink Zebra, wow…things get really wacky really fast on Audio Jungle. 3 days into this site and I just don’t know what to think. First it’s a national Suzuki spot for $17 in France, now it’s your song just getting up-loaded to Youtube twice now but unknown entities…hmmm…I just don’t what to think, but I am thinking that things can spin out of control quite fast around here when it comes to protecting one’s copyrights and getting paid properly for it or proper permissions granted.

Out of principle , I do believe you should demand that the individual give full credit to you on YOUTUBE and simply ask what their motivation is with your song.

33 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
Lmz says

Get in touch with the uploader of the video and ask that they add a link to the beginning of their description where they can purchase the song. That’ll give you another video out there with the potential to lead to a sale.

If they decide not to, then ask for the video to be removed if you feel that it is harmful to your business. Not sure if youtube would do that but you could always mention the threat. Although, I imagine that the person(s) who posted the video would be more than happy to help promote the artist they like so much.

Side-note, it would help if there were a ‘personal’ license option for AJ so those wanting to get the track could do so without paying for a license that won’t ever fully use. Otherwise, those who like the music on AJ will continue to find other ways of obtaining it.

471 posts Think pink.
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
pinkzebra says

Thanks for the responses, guys. I think I’ll follow Tim’s advice on this. I don’t want to rush in with too big of a stick in case this is just an innocent misunderstanding by some folks who simply like the song. I’ll sleep on it tonight and either contact them directly tomorrow or proceed with the DMCA thing.

It is especially frustrating that all the new ways to listen to my song on YouTube do not have the AJ watermark. Only my video does, making it perhaps the least desirable way to listen to the song.

471 posts Think pink.
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
pinkzebra says

Well, I didn’t sleep on it.

I just sent out very kind emails that expressed appreciation towards them for wanting to share my music, but requested that their videos be taken down due to the AJ licensing rules requiring the music to be a part of another stand-alone project, not one that exists simply to promote the music itself.

811 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+2 more
PhilLarson says

Good luck, PZ. Sorry to hear that.

I did the search on YT and if it makes you feel any better, my eyes immediately went to your video first. It looks the most official with your picture of the earth and the more official-looking title. Also, I see immediately in the results that your video is the oldest video and has the most views. Upon the search results, even without knowing anything, I’m drawn to your video first.

Still… it’s frustrating…

Glad you are gaining a lot of popularity for that song on YT, though. That’s fun!

Good luck.

by
by
by
by
by
by