18 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Croatia
+2 more
dodimir says

Hello guys,

I’m doing B2 format poster design which will be printed in 1000 copies, I have to do it with only 2 of CMYK basic colors (yellow, cyan, magenta, black) because that print technique will result with cheaper price of printing service.

My design will be pretty simple, only fonts and shapes used (I’m working in Photoshop) and it should be done in next 24 hours.

I tried to google it but it’s still pretty unclear to me. Can you guys help, is someon familiar with it and can someone write me short tutorial how to do it? I would be very thankful!

Dom

1253 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Demorfoza says

I don’t know if this is the help you need, but in this case you have to pick a color that uses only two of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow or BlacK. Two out of four available colors must be set to 0%, it’s up to you which will be used.

3701 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

Two out of four available colors must be set to 0%, it’s up to you which will be used.

If I understand correctly, that still leaves a very large ranges of colours available, right? You could have 0% 20% 0% 0% but also 0, 40, 0, 0 and 0, 30, 10, 0? As long as you keep two of them at zero?

Offtopic: What’s a convenient notation for CMYK colours? RGB is easily expressed using a string of six hexadecimals – is there a similar convention for CMYK?

1253 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Demorfoza says

If I understand correctly, that still leaves a very large ranges of colours available, right? You could have 0% 20% 0% 0% but also 0, 40, 0, 0 and 0, 30, 10, 0? As long as you keep two of them at zero?
Well, not that large. You can produce 3 colors only + any shade of it. The more color percentage you use, the more saturated is your color. You can take a quick look at photoshop color picker, but you’re right already.

Offtopic: What’s a convenient notation for CMYK colours? RGB is easily expressed using a string of six hexadecimals – is there a similar convention for CMYK?
As far as I’m concerned there isn’t. However if you write a color with string of four numbers separated by commas, any person familiar with this color palette will understand you. Colors have their own sequence, cyan will always be first, then magenta, yellow and black.
by
by
by
by
by
by