77 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
AdamAldo says

Genelecs, NS10s, some people will hate me for this but I love the KRK Rokits!

30 posts
  • Germany
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
SimonDaum says

My experience is that the mix will turn out best if you listen to it with as many different speakers, headsets e.t.c. as possible. I always start with monitors, then use three different headsets, if possible even other mediums. With one headset I hear when there is too much bass in it, and so it helps me make my mix perfect. The headsets are especially good for placing instruments in the room, like how far do you want your strings left or right, e.t.c. .. In the end I always go back to my monitors and if sounds good than, I am a happy musician ;)

37 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Italy
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
jontom says

Both, Genelec speakers and AKG K271 headphone. I mainly use headphones for checking eventual noises and panning.

I always do the final mix at incredible low volume… If I can perceive the instruments at that level, I’m sure it’ll be clean enough. Also a good trick might be to check the mix behind a wall or simply in a different room. Just to have another point of view of how it sounds :)

80 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
JMScherfMusic says

I use both. Many times I will work on rough mixes or arrangement on my laptop while using headphones. When it comes time for the final mix, I will use my studio monitors. I have become so comfortable with my headphones that often only minor tweaks are needed when I hit the studio to finalize.

Experiment and see what works best for you.

36 posts
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
frequencity says

Why not both?

That’s my answer to most “this or that” questions :)

57 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Nepal
Beekirawa says

I use both. Well for my case when I’m recording I use my Sennehiser HD280PRO and during my mixing and mastering stages I use my Yamaha HS80M. But personally for me I think a good acoustically treated room is what you should focus on. Doesn’t matter if you own a high-end monitors if your room is not treated. :)

Cheers!

396 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
SiliconWorldAD says

I usually do fine with using only headphones, I can always hear details, even faint noise and blips. I don’t use computer speakers because the way Windows sound drivers interface with speakers is poor, but I suppose if I bought some high-end speakers it would be just as fine. Speakers can get better to get the sense of surround sound and overall pan which is why it’s a good idea to get a rough estimate of musical tracks from speakers first.

3 posts
xarlin says

I use Headphones, Heads Up! Just make sure that you don’t let the volume get too loud, otherwise you will SERIOUSLY distort the “mix” and make it difficult to maintain an accurate view of your track.

Controlling Your Volume = Better Beats

Article: http://www.beatmakershq.com/how-to-make-beats/

2 posts
  • Exclusive Author
akattack says

Interesting question.

I solely use monitor headphones as I have just started doing this and joined AJ. But, I am looking to purchase some monitors as well. I think having both allows you to listen and work anytime.

In my presumed opinion, having both professional level headphone monitors(KRK etc) and pro Monitors will ensure that your tracks sounds the same on both. Though I am mulling getting a normal pair of medium to high end speakers to just hear how it would sound on other system, which I think can be important.

Great Thread!

657 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
ZtarrZound says

I used to use headphones exclusively. Now I combo them with monitors. Since you’re going to listen to your mixes on different types of speakers anyway (right?!), having headphones on deck isnt bad at all.

Regardless of which you use, it’s more about getting your ears used to what your weapon of choice can do and/or does rather than what exactly that weapon of choice is. IMO.

by
by
by
by
by
by