470 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
NeuronFX says

Hi guys, we’re doing a short film in which we’ll be needing a shot where there’s a person hanging from a cliff edge and an other person holding him. We are doing this with no or very limited budget.

Do you have some ideas, tips and tricks on how we can replicate this in a safe way?

Cliff location is not a problem but don’t have the money to hire a stunt team that use safety equipment, etc… so most probably this have to be done in post.

We’ll mainly be using after effects.

Thank you for your help guys.

Here’s a sketch showing what we’re trying to achieve.

http://flic.kr/p/cEA57J

7287 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

film the scene in a place where there is no void under the actor then, use some mattepainting or similar to delete the ground and replace it with a shot similar with what you need.

470 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
NeuronFX says

film the scene in a place where there is no void under the actor then, use some mattepainting or similar to delete the ground and replace it with a shot similar with what you need.

That was what I was thinking as well, the thing is, by doing that his feet wont be suspended freely in air and it would feel a bit unnatural. But that’s a strategy I can use. I was also thinking of building the characters inside maya and use CG characters for wide shots, this way the characters can react well to physics, etc… Maybe there’s some other techniques I can do using green screen, but can’t get a clear idea…

7287 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

he can stay couple of cm above the ground he doesn’t need to touch the ground.

5069 posts
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+11 more
felt_tips Envato team says

Shoot it all in close up.

Fallers POV , over faller’s shoulder, rescuer’s POV , over rescuer’s shoulder, faller’s dangling feet trying to find a foothold and dislodging stones.

You can tell the whole story without the money shot. You could consider posting a 2-3 second wide shot and that should fill in the gap.

Also consider cheating something on rocky ground and turning it on its side. You gotta be a bit careful with that, but it might offer something up.

The camera always lies.

470 posts
+3 more
NeuronFX says

Shoot it all in close up.

Fallers POV , over faller’s shoulder, rescuer’s POV , over rescuer’s shoulder, faller’s dangling feet trying to find a foothold and dislodging stones.

You can tell the whole story without the money shot. You could consider posting a 2-3 second wide shot and that should fill in the gap.

Also consider cheating something on rocky ground and turning it on its side. You gotta be a bit careful with that, but it might offer something up.

The camera always lies.

Really like the idea on rocky ground. It’s very possible as you say it, and it shouldn’t be that hard. My other problem is that I need to show him falling off the cliff… I’m thinking of filming the falling character in front of a green screen and then switch the shot to a far wide overhead shot to cover, and blend everything together.

Thank you very much for your help Felt and Doru :)

7287 posts
+5 more
doru says

you welcome. good luck with your project!

470 posts
+3 more
NeuronFX says

you welcome. good luck with your project!

Thanks :) Its going to be a very difficult and long term project but hopefully we can pull it off. I would really like to show it to videohive authors when its done… not sure if its against the rules to post it here though…

5069 posts
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+11 more
felt_tips Envato team says

I think that’s allowed. :)

2350 posts Small, but tough
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

ofcourse it’s allowed, show that :)

by
by
by
by
by
by