186 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
scottrockers says

I know that you have to have a license to use the GreenSock tweening engine, but I just wanted to double check if you can use the AutoFitArea class in projects, here is what they say in the terms and here is the link: http://www.greensock.com/autofitarea/

*You may use the code at no charge in commercial or non-commercial web sites, games, components, applications, and other software as long as end users are not charged a fee of any kind to use your product or gain access to it. If your client pays you a one-time fee to create the site/product, that’s perfectly fine and qualifies under the “no charge” license. If multiple end users are charged a usage/access/license fee of any kind, please simply sign up for a corporate Club GreenSock membership which comes with a special commercial license granting you permission to do so. Click here for details. Club GreenSock members get several useful bonus plugins, classes, update notifications, SVN access, and more. Please see the licensing page for details on licensing.

So what I take from this is that I can create a file that uses this and sell it here on activeden. I just wanted to double check. Am I correct?

Scott

1603 posts Building the Web.
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+2 more
ZoomIt says

If multiple end users are charged a usage/access/license fee of any kind, please simply sign up for a corporate Club GreenSock membership which comes with a special commercial license granting you permission to do so.

186 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
scottrockers says

So you are saying I can’t use it?

563 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
+1 more
radykal says

I´m using this class in my files, but I have a corporate membership.

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
ZoomIt says
So you are saying I can’t use it?

If you are developing a freelance project with it for a client that pays for it it’s ok. But if you sell it as stock, it’s not

186 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
scottrockers says

Thanks for the clarification guys.

• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
ZoomIt says
Thanks for the clarification guys.

Sorry man, just use Tweener. I had never had problems with it. There was just one time when making a text effect I had to tween each letter with a blur filter and the performance was… 1 FPS . Then I used greensock tweenmax thinking I am going to buy it if it works fine .. but had the same result for it and just quited on the blur. Anybody know a tweening engine that handles filters good ?

186 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
scottrockers says

Oh I use tweener all the time, but I don’t think tweener has a AutoFitArea Class or one that proportionally resizes stuff like this function does. If it does please let me know.

42 posts
greensock says
If you are developing a freelance project with it for a client that pays for it it’s ok. But if you sell it as stock, it’s not

Exactly right.

Once you have a corporate license, you can use pretty much any of the GreenSock classes in the stuff you sell here or elsewhere.

Sorry man, just use Tweener. I had never had problems with it. There was just one time when making a text effect I had to tween each letter with a blur filter and the performance was… 1 FPS . Then I used greensock tweenmax thinking I am going to buy it if it works fine .. but had the same result for it and just quited on the blur. Anybody know a tweening engine that handles filters good ?

It is extremely unlikely that the slow performance in that case had anything to do with the tweening engine – it’s just that rendering filters puts a lot of strain on Flash, especially when applied to text/vectors. Executing the ActionScript code probably accounted for less than 1% of the CPU load whereas the Flash Player rendering the graphics accounted for 99%+ of it.

Tweener is great and Zeh (the primary author) is extremely talented and generous. Keep in mind, though, that Tweener is no longer being actively developed (as of almost a year ago) and it is definitely slower than TweenLite/Max (see http://www.greensock.com/tweening-speed-test/ or do your own tests). I’ve heard from many developers who said switching from Tweener to TweenLite literally doubled their frame rates (your mileage may vary of course). There are also quite a few TweenLite/Max features that Tweener doesn’t have (as far as I know) like:

1. Motion blur (in any direction, automatically based on the object’s velocity and angle of movement)
  2. Physics (define acceleration, gravity, friction, initial angle, etc.)
  3. Advanced sequencing and grouping tools (like TimelineLite and TimelineMax – http://www.greensock.com/timeline-basics/) This can be huge one you wrap your mind around it.
  4. I’m not sure about this, but I don’t think you can reverse() a Tweener tween.
  5. Transform (scale/rotate) around a custom registration point (or the object’s center)
  6. Tween to completely dynamic values that may change on every frame like the mouse position (see the dynamicProps plugin demo in the Plugin Explorer at http://www.tweenlite.com)
  7. Many different overwrite modes to choose from
  8. Small file size. TweenLite is lighter weight than Tweener and TweenLite’s baby brother, TweenNano, uses the same syntax but is only about 1.6k in AS3 .
  9. TweenLite/Max can be used in a more object-oriented way, like var myTween:TweenLite = new TweenLite(...) instead of only using static methods like Tweener.addTween(...).

That’s not to say Tweener is bad in any way. It works great for many developers, and if it’s serving you well, keep using it. I just wanted to point out a few differences and make sure you were aware that Tweener isn’t being developed or supported anymore. The GreenSock platform is updated pretty regularly and there’s no end in sight in terms of continued optimization and improvement.

4247 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

Yo, Mr. GreenSock

You’re making like eight hundred billion dollars on those licenses and junk. Any chance you are able to drop the price for a brother? lol :P

by
by
by
by
by
by