• Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
liviu_cerchez says

P.S. I will appreciate it if this topic gets moved to the All Marketplaces section, I didn’t realize that I posted it on CodeCanyon only .
Also I would love to test it, I’ve got an iOS device. Too bad if it won’t have push notifications, I am wondering why does it costs? When I wrote my Windows Phone application I mimic the Push Notifications by creating a background agent that checked the current balanced (saved when the app was first opened) vs. the one from the API request, if there was difference between them, I’ve sent the notification. Not sure about iOS tho, but I am more than sure that you can run background agents while the app is closed. The app seems to be fine, please consider push notifications, I was about to make my own iOS app for Envato, but since you do a great job I’ll wait to see what you will bring, my e-mail is pricop2008@yahoo.com – thank you.

It’s not the same on iOS, you can’t have any background agents running. The way push notifications work is you setup your own server, get a certificate from Apple, do your thing on your server (check for updates, new sales, etc etc) and when you want to send a notification, you send it to Apple’s servers instead, and they send it to the actual device. And you will cry when you see your bandwidth bill :)

Edit: don’t get me wrong, I would love to have that feature, it just costs too much at this point :)

Very nice UI and overall application. I agree with your point regarding notifications, that would produce a huge bill if the app would be used by many authors. Would like to test the app if you can send me an invite – I’ll provide my feedback after testing it. Thanks.

725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Elite Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
TylerQuinn says

Looks awesome, the creator of the Leaftlet App seems to have abandoned it. No really good stats / commenting features and it’s not iPhone 5 ready!

434 posts here for love
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • India
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
nCrafts says

Is it just me, or is Green Paw off lately? Keeps crashing. And always shows daily sales figure as 0 on startup.

226 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Europe
+2 more
nickys says

I have some news for all current and future users of GreenPaw!

1. Update is coming to fix crashes, optimize the Comments tab and fine-tune the Marketplace Statistics!

I want to thank everyone who has provided feedback, it has been very helpful. I have also been using the app for quite some time and I noticed that it has some problems indeed. However, I’m graduating university right now and all my time goes to my final assignment. I have to ask everyone for some patience. My commitment to make this the best app for authors is still there!

2. Push Notifications

This has been totally the number one feature request. Something to clarify here – in the app description it used to say that the app will “notify” you for sales, comments, etc., which people interpreted as “push notifications”. I understand that it was misleading, which was not what I intended to do, so I corrected the description.

Let’s talk about money and let’s be honest. For the last two months that the app has been out it has made me no more than $100, which is not really that terrible once months start adding up. However, adding push notifications introduces a monthly bill for a server, that I will have to pay each month, which will kill the small amount of money that the app makes for me.

Don’t get me wrong here, it’s not ALL about the money, but I don’t want the app to COST me money each month, instead of making money. As fellow authors here in the marketplaces I hope you will understand that. A proof of that are all the other competing apps that used to have push, but don’t have it anymore and I guess why.

I also don’t want to do anything that will make everyone hate me, so I will ask you all, before taking any action. The only way to make push notifications work is by adding an optional monthly in-app subscription for the users that want push, or just want to support my app.

My question to you all is – do you want push notifications for a monthly subscription?

If yes, please suggest a reasonable price that you are willing to pay. I’m saying again – subscriptions is the only way I can make push work, because of it’s monthly cost of running the service. Please don’t hate me, I love you! <3

1245 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
Pricop says

Let’s talk about money and let’s be honest. For the last two months that the app has been out it has made me no more than $100, which is not really that terrible once months start adding up…

You can’t say I haven’t told you. This kind of application will never sell, even if it would have been free (that was one of the reason I have released mine for free, besides showing some love for the Envato community ;-) ).

By the way, what are the requirements for a server to send push notifications for 100 users for example? (both server and costs).

226 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
+2 more
nickys says

Let’s talk about money and let’s be honest. For the last two months that the app has been out it has made me no more than $100, which is not really that terrible once months start adding up…
You can’t say I haven’t told you. This kind of application will never sell, even if it would have been free (that was one of the reason I have released mine for free, besides showing some love for the Envato community ;-) ). Btw, what are the requirements for a server to send push notifications for 100 users for example? (both server and costs).

Seems like the market was a lot smaller than I thought :)

On your other question – I need a server which will run a background process (or script, not sure how it’s called) and from what I read Linode are the best, which is $20/month. After that there is bandwidth. If I have 100 users, that means I have to make API calls to Envato at least every 5 minutes for each user. Anything longer than 5 minutes makes push notifications a bit pointless in my opinion.

So that’s 500 API calls every 5 minutes, or 6000 every hour, or 144,000 per day, or 4,320,000 per month.

These are the API calls that I need to make just for the sales tab. There are also comments and rating changes, and this is where it gets interesting.

To look for rating changes, I have to make API calls for each product, for each user. If a user has 10 products on average, that would be about 43 million API calls per month for the ratings.

Comments: this is where it gets really ridiculous :) There is no API for comments, so I have to fetch the entire RSS feed, for each product, for each user. I think the max size of the feed is 100 comments, so you can imagine what kind of bandwidth this will consume if I do it every 5 minutes.

I can of course make push notifications just for sales, but that would make people furious in my opinion :) I hope I answered your question in detail.

EDIT: I’m not sure how Envato would like 50 million API calls per month to their servers, but that’s a whole other story.

1245 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
+3 more
Pricop says

[...]

I think you are trying to do it the wrong way.

1. There is a limit of around 100 calls/hour/user (unless envato grants you some kind of special permission), you must find a way to call it from the user side, if that’s not possible, you will definitely need to get a permission.

2. Assuming that you are getting a permission, there is absolutely no need to make the API calls every 5 minutes, that means that an author with decent sale will have his phone vibrating and ring each 5 minutes which is not the main purpose in my opinion. For example my Application calls every 30 minutes, which is a decent time to check for new sales.

3. Regarding the comments notifications, you simply have to compare the last-time stamp (or unique id) between the requests, you could check them once every hour, because while on the-go you just need to get notified from time to time, not a phone that rings like hell.

4. Ratings. You could check once per day for rating changes, why would you check for rating changes every 5 minutes? For me it doesn’t make sense.

Also quoting from your previous post:

So that’s 500 API calls every 5 minutes (for 100 users)

Sorry but that’s 100 API calls every 5 minutes, not 500 calls – that being said, your stats is actually 1/5 from what you wrote if you’ve calculated with 500.

Secondly, using my suggestion to check for new sales every 30 minutes you will get: 200 calls vs 1200 (not 6000 as you said).

You must think for large-scale usage, otherwise Envato’s API will get flooded with useless queries, and I highly doubt they will ever approve such thing to happen.

I hope this helps.

226 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
+2 more
nickys says

[...]

I think you are trying to do it the wrong way.

1. There is a limit of around 100 calls/hour/user (unless envato grants you some kind of special permission), you must find a way to call it from the user side, if that’s not possible, you will definitely get a permission.

2. Assuming that you are getting a permission, there is absolutely no need to make the API calls every 5 minutes, that means that an author with decent sale will have his phone vibrating and ring each 5 minutes which is not the main purpose in my opinion. For example my Application calls every 30 minutes, which is a decent time to check for new sales.

3. Regarding the comments notifications, you simply have to compare the last-time stamp (or unique id) between the requests, you could simply check them once every hour, because while on the-go you just need to get notified from time to time, not a phone that rings like hell.

4. Ratings. You could check once per day for rating changes, why would you check for rating changes each 5 minute? For me it doesn’t make sense.

Also quoting:

So that’s 500 API calls every 5 minutes (for 100 users)

Sorry but that’s 100 API calls every 5 minutes, not 500 calls – that being said, your stats is actually 1/5 from what you wrote if you’ve calculated with 500.

Secondly, using my suggestion you will get the following: Check for new sales every 30 minutes: 200 calls vs 1200 (not 6000 as you said).

You must think for large-scale usage, otherwise Envato’s API will get flooded with useless queries.

I hope this helps.

It does help, yes!

Btw, doing it on the user end is impossible if the app isn’t running. And if the app is running, you don’t need push notifications :)

Also I noticed that this limit is bound to an API key. For example I can make 100 calls with one API key, then 100 more with another and so on.

138 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
WPHead says

Maybe someone already asked this, but does it show referrals?

226 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
+2 more
nickys says

Maybe someone already asked this, but does it show referrals?

Nope.

by
by
by
by
by
by