143 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Won a Competition
burningstonecold says

I thought that it’d be great to start up a thread for people to discuss how they go about graphic design whether that entails what software you use, your methods of inspiration, what computer hardware you have (Doesn’t mean it’s a bragging competition). It’s open for interpretation.

So let everyone know how you go about graphic design, We can learn from one another and all become better designers!

burningstonecold
burningstonecold Recent Posts
Threads Started
143 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Won a Competition
burningstonecold says

If i’m designing I’ll use any of the following: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or Fireworks. Each i use for different things, Photoshop/Fireworks i often use for pixel based work such as logos, characters, web mockups, etc. At other times I’ll use Illustrator for vector work, which may include logos, characters, the occasional web mock up, 3D, etc.

Inspiration for me is gained through spending a few hours outdoors roaming around with my camera and getting creative photography. I find it’s a great way to build up my photography skills and also get inspiration.

I’m not a Mac user (Not yet anyway :P), nor a Linux user, and not even a Chrome OS (A Bit early yet though..). You might be able to guess by now, Windows, and in particular Windows XP as i still find it the most stable Windows OS platform to date. I’ve got a Dell, with an Intel 3.0ghz CPU , 3GB Ram, nVidia Graphics Card (Can’t remember which one exactly off the top of my head), with a hefty about of hard drive space (both internal and external) and I’ve just upgraded from a 15” Monitor to a beautiful 22” Widescreen HD LCD Monitor.

When it comes to graphic design, I do like to take my time, and make sure it’s done as good as it can. As graphic design isn’t my main area of skill, It isn’t as great as some of the other designers here but it works for me.

Usually I Pretty much Always have Fireworks and/or Photoshop open when I’m doing work…

Anyway, That’s just a little bit about me, I’d love to hear about everyone else :)

15 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
ExitStrategy says

Hi burningstonecold, nice topic. It is always nice to read about other peoples proccesses.

While at my day job i am generally very pushed for time. My “inspiration” will normally come from my stock pile of random photos, online and the lake we work next to.

My designs are almost always done in photoshop from the first step to the last, i used to use fireworks at my old job but dont get in with it, i guess it is one of those subjective things. Saying that i do find fireworks to be good for speed rendering/concepting.

My work machine is a Pentium4 3.2Ghz with not enough ram and a half decent video card, i work with one standard 19” as my brouser screen, emails etc and a 22” wide screen for working off. I almost always have my laptop with me for use as a video/music player and storage.

My process while working at home on my freelance contracts is very paced, i like to take my time and really let the creativitiy come. My day job is very commerical and boring, very simple plain designs are all thats required where as my freelance is clients like tattoo studios etc.

My inspiration while at home is limitless, i will go out with my laptop and camera, hang out at one of my clients tattoo studios or go to the coffee shop, park, lake or town centre. It is very nice to have so many options and inspiration will almost always be around.

My home pc is a custom built unit and subs as my gaming machine hence the spec. AMD 64 X2 5400 , 4GB ddr2, 3 250gb sata II drives and a small raptor drive for the os. I run a Nvidia 9800 video card and work with 2 19” wide screen monitors again with my laptop to the side.

My software collection stands at:

Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Flash, MS Visual Studio, MS Expression, PHP Designer 2009 and Sony Vegas.

In my day to day life i dont normally use any design/ide programs other than those above but am always looking for up and coming ones. Keeping a weather eye on them was how i found php designer, what a wonderful program it is too.

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Motionreactor says

Well, I have formal training… plenty of tertiary study and experience. However there are two things which I’ve learned that you must do to improve:

1. Observe good design. Look closely at good work and try to understand why it is good. Apply aesthetic principles to every detail you see (and the whole gestalt), by breaking things down to smaller pieces you can understand the individual decisions behind a piece of work.

2. Design. Nothing beats practice, just get on and do it. Theory is highly important but you have to actually design and push hard to make progress.

2 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Netherlands
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Zenimot says

Agree with MotionReactor: look at everything and think: How did they do that?

Try and master the tools you use.

When designing I try to keep away from the pc for as long as possible and keep sketching/drawing. Or else you will design to much with the tools the program has.

I use: Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop. (first 3 programs always open)

PC: Dell Precision T7400 (Intel Xeon QuadCore CPU ), NVidia Quadro FX 1700 graphics card with two Dell 20 inch TFT monitors.

I’ve been using dual monitors for 10 years now. Can’t live/work without it.

2201 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
ArikB says

When designing I try to keep away from the pc for as long as possible and keep sketching/drawing. Or else you will design to much with the tools the program has.

I use: Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop. (first 3 programs always open)

PC: Dell Precision T7400 (Intel Xeon QuadCore CPU ), NVidia Quadro FX 1700 graphics card with two Dell 20 inch TFT monitors.

On a slightly unrelated note. Computer prices in Holland piss me off. They really do. I mean, look at the friggin price of a mbp. Depending on the dollar-euro rate, there’s about a difference in 400 euros. FOUR HUNDRED euros.

193 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Netherlands
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Roeven says

On a slightly unrelated note. Computer prices in Holland piss me off. They really do. I mean, look at the friggin price of a mbp. Depending on the dollar-euro rate, there’s about a difference in 400 euros. FOUR HUNDRED euros.

Agreed.
2201 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
ArikB says

Agreed.

1 month later, I’m on a macbook pro

1125 posts
  • Costa Rica
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
hansv says

Agreed.
1 month later, I’m on a macbook pro

And what is your review on your macbook pro? Satisfied?

On a side note: By trying to reply to your comment I almost reported it…. hehe

138 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
KLANDA says

Yea, when I get mine im going America all the way! Huge price difference

by
by
by
by
by
by