3213 posts Point. Counterpoint.
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+14 more
ADG3studios Envato team says
I was trying to see this new feature and accidentally purchased a file at 3DOcean that I can’t even use (it’s for another software, which I don’t have). I thought a drop-down was going to appear, as previously mentioned, but instead, a instant purchase has been made. This should need some type of confirming, nowhere you can find a store where just 1 click makes you spend money. Someone could even hit it accidentally and there you go, no confirming = no option to go back. Is there a way to kindly ask to give me back my money?

Yeah If it was an accident like that, you should write to support, They can check that you haven’t downloaded it and hopefully help you out. :)

I’m also pretty sure that kinks like that will be ironed out. ;)

222 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
OneManBand says
Yeah If it was an accident like that, you should write to support, They can check that you haven’t downloaded it and hopefully help you out. :) I’m also pretty sure that kinks like that will be ironed out. ;)

Sure, I wrote to support, hope they can fix this. Of course I didn’t download the accidentaly purchased item, because in fact I don’t need/want it :)

4636 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says
  • Overall the sales volume compared to the same days of the week in previous weeks is pretty much the same. No real dip or rise.

It’s not the overall sales volume we need to look at, since my sales are fine, but it appears higher priced over $20 are not selling that well anymore for reasons I mentioned previously.

• The marketplaces with the most Buy Now sales are ThemeForest, VideoHive, and ActiveDen – in that order. In other words it’s higher priced items that are attracting the Buy Now sales.
  • If higher priced items are attracting ‘buy now’ this could be that it ‘appears’ to be cheaper? For example a $42 can be purchased for $42 with buy now, or it might ‘appear’ that prepaid customers might have to deposit $60 to buy a $42 to cover the extra $2.

• Overall a significant % of buyers have already switched to Buy Now – around 1 in 5 of every purchase.
  • This also raises a point, if only 1 in 5 are ‘buy now’ – then why does the ‘buy now’ higher price take preference over the prepaid price… surely you should show the lower price, since most buyers are using ‘prepaid’ and then the ‘buy now’ will find out that they have to pay $2 more when the purchase.

Also note that lower priced items were hard enough to sell already, and with a bump up of $2 more makes some of these items to ‘appear’ to have doubled and tripled in price which does not help the situation.

What you have chosen to do is, make things ‘appear’ more expensive and then say you ‘save’ when you don’t – it’s the same price as before. Adding to the fact that the $2 makes lower priced items ‘appear’ way more expensive, this is not a good tactic! Please switch back to showing the prepaid price, it looks better than seeing $42 and $32 and it is less confusing when you’re trying to work out what the actual price of the file is, so you don’t have to mentally deduct $2 off it. And it will also make lower priced items ‘appear’ to be correctly priced.

The ‘buy now’ feature is great, but we need to carefully consider the consequences here of displaying a $2 increase across all files. 4/5 of the buyers (prepaid) have to now mentally deduct $2 when they look at a file and this going to create confusion and scare off some buyers! Keep it simple!

4 posts
    • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
    • Located in Australia
    • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
    rosebud says

DS,

It’s not a bad argument you make! Perceptions do rule.

However, the fact is people want ‘choice’ and subscriptions / memberships / pre paid is kinda a thing of the past. And/or usually confided to those who cannot afford on-going payment options. Although, conversely take a look at pre-paid telephone cards. They’re popular for those who do not want to enter into ‘contracts’ with telcos.

Bottom-line is People want choice! So to provide means to ‘pre purchase’ or buy “one off” is a worthy option for this community to enroll. I speak as a customer not a seller!

However, I agree it is better to ‘lead’ with the ‘lower price’ and then include a one off price below that than to have it the other way round. Because as you allude “appearances’ really do matter.

1036 posts Massfocus
    • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
    • Has referred 500+ members
    +7 more
    Massfocus says

I am totally with DS on this one, if i was a regular buyer here the first impression i would get is that this is a scam, although it is practically not but the first impression does the trick and isn’t that what it’s all about in business?

It plainly insults one’s intelligence to say save 2$ while all the prices raised 2$ maybe not for newcomer’s but for people that have been here for a while it does.

The intensions are good but changing the overall price in order to introduce a new buy option is not the way it should be done, i like the way Envato likes to show transparency but too much is too much..

Just think about it, do you really want to change the first impression of your entire network just to add a new buy option? It doesn’t seem to add up in my logic. But hey’ it’s never too late to try something new right? :) still curious how this will evolve.

End of transmission buzzz

4636 posts Love & Light
    • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
    • Interviewed on an Envato blog
    +8 more
    digitalscience says
  • The marketplaces with the most Buy Now sales are ThemeForest, VideoHive, and ActiveDen – in that order. In other words it’s higher priced items that are attracting the Buy Now sales.
  • Just had a thought about this comment again, you say the higher priced files are being attracted by ‘buy now’... isn’t that having the reverse effect of what was suppose to happen, since the ‘buy now’ feature was added so you don’t have to deposit a minimum of $20 to buy lower priced items, you could use ‘buy now’ to buy an item for $5 and just spend $5 on the site… so what was suppose to happen was an increase in lower priced items being attracted to ‘buy now’

And please explain if the deposit amounts are $20, $30, $40… then why are customers using ‘buy now’ for higher priced files, because they could just do 1 deposit into their account and buy the item for $2 less… it does not make sense. The only conclusion is with the deposit increments of $20, $30, $40 and the $2 increase, it ‘appears’ that ‘buy now’ is a better way to buy higher priced items than using deposit money.

4 posts
    • Located in Australia
    • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
    rosebud says

I don’t have any wheelbarrow to push – I’m a buyer not a seller (in this community).

But I think you guys might be getting a bit too complicated.

The Envo masters are wanting to provide option = choice.

There are, like myself, ppls who merely want to pay for an item outright and move on. They DON ’T want to be bound to or required to ‘join’ a community or subscription plan.

If the Envo masters did as was suggested in DS’s post and change the ‘price’ to feature the lower subscription price – and then – the higher one off price. You’d probably find your worries melting away.

Pricing is not an art form, it’s a matter of something more primal = entry point.

2952 posts
    • Has referred 200+ members
    • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
    • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
    +10 more
    DDStudios says

Ok I read somewhere that the “buy now” feature wasn’t there anymore so I went on an item , press the purchase button to see if the sliding thing appears … And I bought the theme automatically lol :)

That’s funny

7378 posts
    • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
    • Located in Europe
    +5 more
    doru says
    There are, like myself, ppls who merely want to pay for an item outright and move on. They DON ’T want to be bound to or required to ‘join’ a community or subscription plan.

that join option offers to the author the possibility to see if the person that request support had bought or not the item. As authors, for privacy and security matter, I think is normal that we can’t see a recipe or other “legal” documents that proves someone bought an item. So that join feature is essential, as the marketplace make a hidden check to confirm the purchase, but I understand why someone could became irritated by losing time in setting up an account. Probably by offering a “no author support request” options when you buy a file a “no log in” option could be implemented.

I know the support is not mandatory anyway, but we all know how this works. You need to answer eventual questions else some people will think you are a jerk.

103 posts
    • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
    • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
    +1 more
    ImadJomaa says
    • Overall the sales volume compared to the same days of the week in previous weeks is pretty much the same. No real dip or rise.

It’s not the overall sales volume we need to look at, since my sales are fine, but it appears higher priced over $20 are not selling that well anymore for reasons I mentioned previously.

• If higher priced items are attracting ‘buy now’ this could be that it ‘appears’ to be cheaper? For example a $42 can be purchased for $42 with buy now, or it might ‘appear’ that prepaid customers might have to deposit $60 to buy a $42 to cover the extra $2.

• Overall a significant % of buyers have already switched to Buy Now – around 1 in 5 of every purchase.
  • This also raises a point, if only 1 in 5 are ‘buy now’ – then why does the ‘buy now’ higher price take preference over the prepaid price… surely you should show the lower price, since most buyers are using ‘prepaid’ and then the ‘buy now’ will find out that they have to pay $2 more when the purchase.

Also note that lower priced items were hard enough to sell already, and with a bump up of $2 more makes some of these items to ‘appear’ to have doubled and tripled in price which does not help the situation.

What you have chosen to do is, make things ‘appear’ more expensive and then say you ‘save’ when you don’t – it’s the same price as before. Adding to the fact that the $2 makes lower priced items ‘appear’ way more expensive, this is not a good tactic! Please switch back to showing the prepaid price, it looks better than seeing $42 and $32 and it is less confusing when you’re trying to work out what the actual price of the file is, so you don’t have to mentally deduct $2 off it. And it will also make lower priced items ‘appear’ to be correctly priced.

The ‘buy now’ feature is great, but we need to carefully consider the consequences here of displaying a $2 increase across all files. 4/5 of the buyers (prepaid) have to now mentally deduct $2 when they look at a file and this going to create confusion and scare off some buyers! Keep it simple!

Exactly Right. I finally made a sale after the changes and it was to my more expensive file. It’s obvious buyers aren’t after the lower priced items as they seem overpriced with the $2 increase. I hope the Envato staff look at our point of view more so than the results at the end of the day.

Regards.

by
    by
    by
    by
    by
    by