69 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
GlennMcKeown says
Whoops. Misunderstood your argument. :P Sorry.

easily done… i’m a native english speaker my english sucks!!!

659 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
luckykind says
do’h!

that’s my point exactly,

that’s why i put the $12 in bold!! because it’s the deal… and the +$2 is not bold i.e. the “small print”

i’m illustrating that themeforest should emulate the supermarkets (the best in the business at pricing)

It can be done differently as well…

Amazon, the biggest online retailer… has a Subscribe & Save feature with some of it’s items… the regular price is in red, big and bold… in tiny type below it is… “Save 15% with Subscribe & Save”... example...

So at Amazon, if you commit more money… You get a better deal. That’s what I believe they’re trying to do here in the marketplace.

There’s multiple ways of doing it… it’s a test and see approach, and after 9 months of development I’m sure that 2 days isn’t enough time to gather enough data…

patience is the best approach for us as sellers…

4905 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

I do agree, after some years in retail and doing some heavy online shopping for quite some time. You always see the top tier price before you are introduced to the discount rate. So I think I understand where they were going with this second variation of the system.

BUT DS ’s point makes a lot of sense. If a buyer does not read the small type explaining the buy it now vs the deposit system, they may assume a larger deposit would be required because that $20 file now costs $22.

As Collis said, this is a variation on the concept and it will be evaluated and modified to maximize results.

1504 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years Has referred 10+ members Located in Australia Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the great feedback, we’ve been analyzing data here all day and shooting around the merits of different options. I think all the opinions expressed in this thread boil down to one question – do we centre the pricing around “low price + charge” or “high price + saving”.

Generally speaking I believe the saving option is a better marketing tactic – though of course that is debatable :-) Currently we’re using that latter option, mostly with the view that our existing buyers will quickly adapt and that new buyers will get the better experience. As evidenced by all the discussion though, this is not a black and white argument.

In any case here is a bit of statistical data:

• Overall the sales volume compared to the same days of the week in previous weeks is pretty much the same. No real dip or rise.
  • The marketplaces with the most Buy Now sales are ThemeForest, VideoHive, and ActiveDen – in that order. In other words it’s higher priced items that are attracting the Buy Now sales.
  • Overall a significant % of buyers have already switched to Buy Now – around 1 in 5 of every purchase.

It’s still very early and I think the best thing to do for now is to sit tight and look at the data again one week on when we have a bit more information.

In regards to a price increase, I think with our low prices we can afford to go up in price generally and not have it have a large impact. In previous years we’ve done exactly this so happily this assertion is based on previous experience. What this means is that while we of course want to find the optimal solution, I’m very confident that the current solution will definitely be OK.

In any case, I’ll be back on the forums next week with some updated information! And we’ll keep analysing and watching carefully what’s happening!

4323 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

I vote for “high price + saving” – As a buyer I prefer to “Save” over to “A Charge”.

I’m experiencing good sales this days I would say 60% with the Buy Now feature so for me everything’s cool.

5324 posts The Dude Abides
    Located in United States Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

^ thanks for the info Collis. I imagine the most important thing to measure are the same-store sales and as long as they’re on track we shouldn’t worry.

103 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
ImadJomaa says
I vote for “high price + saving” – As a buyer I prefer to “Save” over to “A Charge”. I’m experiencing good sales this days I would say 60% with the Buy Now feature so for me everything’s cool.

It works great for Themes & Templates as the prices are already set right. However, for PHP scripts, you’re pretty much thrown in the ditch and left to die (if you get my drift). The ”$2” extra promotion thing is ruining the sales, at least from my perspective. I hope this issue is resolved very soon, at least for the PHP Scripts category if not site-wide as it was proven that it’s working great for themes & templates.

922 posts
    Has referred 500+ members Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

@ Collis – awesome update – thanks for the info! I noticed a few small changes have been made (especially to the list page and what happens when you click the purchase button), which pretty much solves the issue in my own opinion. There’s way less confusion now, and I’m sure buyers will transition nicely. As digitalscience said a few pages ago – the new feature is helpful and brings a lot of value to the table, it’s simply a matter of displaying it with the least possible confusion. Thanks again :)

222 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
OneManBand says

I was trying to see this new feature and accidentally purchased a file at 3DOcean that I can’t even use (it’s for another software, which I don’t have). I thought a drop-down was going to appear, as previously mentioned, but instead, a instant purchase has been made. This should need some type of confirming, nowhere you can find a store where just 1 click makes you spend money. Someone could even hit it accidentally and there you go, no confirming = no option to go back. Is there a way to kindly ask to give me back my money?

404 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
JackGriffiths says

Wait… so do prepaid customers (who use the deposit feature) pay the extra $2? Can a member of staff make a new blog post to outline what exactly this feature does.

And I agree with confirmation messages, if they aren’t already there.

by
by
by
by
by
by