548 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
tonvie says

Just wondering how many of you take on free projects as a donation to a local cause or something. It sounds great to put in your portfolio that you support your community but I don’t want everyone then calling for free websites :P Thoughts?

1799 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BroOf says

If you have enough time and no financial worries you could sponsor some football clubs or other local projects.

566 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

Having done a few non-profit sites, I wouldn’t recommend doing anything for free. The main reason I wouldn’t work for free, and you touched on this, is that you will get tons of email requests or phone calls asking for free websites. The hard part about that is saying no.

That said, I would recommend donating a portion of the profits. I’m currently doing this with one of my themes. It’s important to give back, but remember, you’re not a non-profit like them ;-)

548 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
tonvie says

Having done a few non-profit sites, I wouldn’t recommend doing anything for free. The main reason I wouldn’t work for free, and you touched on this, is that you will get tons of email requests or phone calls asking for free websites. The hard part about that is saying no. That said, I would recommend donating a portion of the profits. I’m currently doing this with one of my themes. It’s important to give back, but remember, you’re not a non-profit like them ;-)

I’m really liking that Molitor, that seems like the perfect way to say “I care, but I still have to eat too”. Well said. Thank you.

391 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
EugeneO says

I have done a few websites for a hugely discounted fee but never a complete freebie. Whether or not you should do it really boils down to whether or not you are prepared to face the usual customer aggravations despite not being paid.

by
by
by
by
by
by