815 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

The Note on Self Promotion in forum rules says a very reasonable thing:

Because of the commercial nature of the Envato networks, authors are expected to understand and respect the fact that using the forum to post links to one’s own items, or to give away free files to the community, is not allowed. This practice effectively undercuts the hard work of all authors who wish to sell their items fairly, and as such it is not tolerated.
I believe that everyone understands the logic here.
Now, it’s becoming trendy that with the main file authors offer its variations and duration edits (60 sec, 30 sec, 10 sec, etc.) What is this if not “giving files away for free”? Why giving files for free on the forums is not allowed but doing the same via item’s page is fine? What’s the difference?
I feel that this practice “effectively undercuts the hard work of all authors who wish to sell their items fairly”.
1183 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

There’s a big difference between version edits and giving completely new files away for free.

Audiojungle is fairly clear with its policy in stating that you are allowed to include up to 5 versions of the original track (including the original).

Also, this is not a trend, it’s been going on for years – and with some libraries – decades.

Comparing the forums with an author’s item description page are two completely different things. The forums are not a place for selling/self-promotion (even though it still goes on a lot IMO, in sneakier ways), and the item pages, well…that’s their only purpose – to sell stuff!

I don’t regard making a 60 second / 30 second edit a ‘creative’ task. The music is already composed. Honestly, it’s nothing that a buyer couldn’t do themselves with Audacity and a little bit of basic knowledge.

Now, if there are tracks on AJ that you feel have a variation that is too different from the original composition, then you should talk to Support about it.

116 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
UniikMedia says

There’s a big difference between version edits and giving completely new files away for free.

Audiojungle is fairly clear with its policy in stating that you are allowed to include up to 5 versions of the original track (including the original).

Also, this is not a trend, it’s been going on for years – and with some libraries – decades.

Comparing the forums with an author’s item description page are two completely different things. The forums are not a place for selling/self-promotion (even though it still goes on a lot IMO, in sneakier ways), and the item pages, well…that’s their only purpose – to sell stuff!

I don’t regard making a 60 second / 30 second edit a ‘creative’ task. The music is already composed. Honestly, it’s nothing that a buyer couldn’t do themselves with Audacity and a little bit of basic knowledge.

Now, if there are tracks on AJ that you feel have a variation that is too different from the original composition, then you should talk to Support about it.

Agreed, don’t think giving away edits is really giving tracks away for free. At the end of the day, I’ll be able to create a cleaner 30 second edit using a multitrack file than the end client will using only 1 WAV or MP3 file.

815 posts
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

I know that submitting different edits is a default requirement in certain libraries, but not on AJ. I agree that making duration edits and excluding certain stems from the mix is rather a ‘technical’ than ‘creative’ task, BUT… it still is providing more than required for the same price. In other words, it’s supplying additional content with no charge, i.e. giving it away for free. So as Gareth said: “item pages only purpose – to sell stuff” – damn right! It’s for selling, not for giving away.

Now, why I think it’s unfair to other authors who don’t practice free giveaways.
The client always can make basic fade in/ fade out edit himself, but sometimes he might need more than that. In that case he should contact the author, who should charge him for custom edit. Not only that some authors express willingness to do that for free, they include those edits beforehand. Therefore, if a client finds two similar happy-clappy-ukulele tracks, one with 5 edits attached and the other one without them, it’s not hard to guess what would be his choice.

Thus, authors who value their work and wish to sell it fairly find themselves in inferior marketing position comparatively to those providing free attachments.

kristopherfisheraudio
kristopherfisheraudio Recent Posts Threads Started
506 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+2 more
kristopherfisheraudio says

I supply edits with some of my tracks, in fact just ‘trailer’ tracks.
These variations are only on length, and I provide 3-5 variations each with around a few beats in difference.

It takes me literally 20mins to do all the variations and bounce them and have then zipped in file. I don’t think it undersells my work at all, it shows an added level of professionalism in my opinion. If I had not done this and made each edit separately as a buyer asked for them it would take me 20mins alone to open the sessions 5 times. So I have already saved myself time lost to doing this.

If a buyer wants a serious edit, with melody or instrument change then I will charge them. But I would rather provide an added layer of flexibility for the buyer, all be it at a very basic level at no cost, and gain extra interest in the item than be beaten to the sale by someone else who perhaps has an item that doesn’t fit the buyers project as well in terms of content but the timings are correct.

Again this is for ‘trailer’ based tracks which are cue based, and the melody etc works to the timing not the other way around, on a normal musical track it would be a much different case indeed.

Just my opinion.

815 posts
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

I don’t think it undersells my work at all

That’s right, it only makes my work less appealing comparing to yours, assuming the 2 works are similar in quality, mood, instrumentation, etc.

kristopherfisheraudio
506 posts
+2 more

Then perhaps you should look at providing these simple variations with your items if it is simply just timings, Id like to make it clear I am just talking about simple, changes to the item to fit the track to a project easier, things that the buyer could actually do themselves.

I’m not talking about making changes that alter the aesthetics of the item at all.

kristopherfisheraudio
506 posts
+2 more

<duplicate post>

kristopherfisheraudio
506 posts
+2 more

In fact here is an idea that I think would solve the issue for both sides:

Why do I provide edits?
It takes no time.
It provides the potential buyer with a preview which they can clearly see if it will sync up.
It creates an added layer of professionalism in the Post-Production domain.
It shows the author is capable of doing such tasks.

Now yes of course I would like to be paid for the added content, and other authors like yourself feel strongly about this, and I do share your concerns with you. However it’s a dog-eat-dog world and I am trying to stay in the game.

So what I would like to see is a drop down menu on the item. The buyer can select which one of the edits they would like to buy, and only get that one edit, if they want another edit they need to pay again for it, but they also have the option of buying all edits at a discounted rate, like a music pack.

Something like this:
Item 1 – Edit 1 [$10]
Item 1 – Edit 2 [$10]
Item 1 – Edit 3 [$10]
Item 1 – Edit 4 [$10]
Item 1 – Edit 5 [$10]
Pack 1 – All 5 [$25]

So its like a sub music pack for each item. But until this happens I will be happy to provide simple technical edits as part of the single item.

815 posts
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

it’s a dog-eat-dog world and I am trying to stay in the game.

Fair enough. Marketing is a competitive business and if you can make your product more appealing – you should do it. The other side of this coin was mentioned in another post. I’m simply not entirely settled with the fact that giving free files on forums regarded as a dirty promotional trick, which it is, but the same thing via item’s page is legit. I realize the different nature of the forum and item’s page, but still, it’s the same action.

by
by
by
by
by
by