960 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

Is there any rules on including freebies with the templates that end up for sale here on Themeforoest?

For example could I create a template like normal that meets all the requirements and has documentation etc. and also include maybe a free template that doesn’t have to get approval?

I don’t plan on making it a habit, but my newest template stems from an un-related mockup I did ages ago and I’d kinda like to finish it off and include it as a freebie if I’m allowed?

3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

Hi,

no, you’re not allowed to give freebies through the marketplaces. Use your own website to do that ;)

Parker

271 posts The Dominant One
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
wptitans says

Hi,

no, you’re not allowed to give freebies through the marketplaces. Use your own website to do that ;)

Parker

Why aren’t you allowed to do this? I can remember there are quite a few author who already did this. Like the time the coming soon pages where popular they where not allowed to upload the wordpress version so they decided to ad the wp version inside the html package for free.

So when I’m not mistaken it is allowed, but PK has a point though. When you release it on your own site then you have some extra traffic which will end up to your items as well.

960 posts
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

Yeah I agree I could do that but why can’t I include freebies?

I’m pretty sure there was a template on here that the author took down from the marketplace but included it free of charge in his new theme?

Ethically someone like Krisie could bundle 2-3 together and make a tonne of sales, I can see how that wouldn’t go down nicely.

I think for now I’ll go down the personal website route for now – safest plus it doesn’t rub anyone up the wrong way lol

1012 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+6 more
wizylabs says

You are allowed as long as you buy the number of copies you gonna give away your self, say you are giving away 4 copies, you got to buy ur template/theme 4 times :)

But make sure to check with someone from the staff incase they changes the rules or anything

155 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
starshade says

You’re allowed to include child themes of the main theme if I remember correctly. So you could go this way: make ~10 child themes of the main theme and include them in the final package :P

960 posts
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

Ah thanks – Child Theme is probably the best description for what I’m trying to describe.

All I wanted to do is make use of the mockups I’d done previously e.g. it’s super easy for me to turn that into a mini-me version of the actaul template.

3256 posts
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

A child theme isn’t a different theme.

If was possible to include freebies in the download packages all the authors would start to pack 3 or 4 templates to get more sales. Guys, this can’t be done, believe me ;)

Parker

960 posts
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

If was possible to include freebies in the download packages all the authors would start to pack 3 or 4 templates to get more sales. Guys, this can’t be done, believe me ;)

Parker

I think my description is confusing – I don’t mean like include another template within the one thats for sale, I’m talking about say having a lite version.

I guess the best way I can compare it is on the Resume/CV templates some of them also include PSD files for the business cards or letter heads – this is more what I’m talking about.

3256 posts
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

Parker

I think my description is confusing – I don’t mean like include another template within the one thats for sale, I’m talking about say having a lite version.

I guess the best way I can compare it is on the Resume/CV templates some of them also include PSD files for the business cards or letter heads – this is more what I’m talking about.

Well, in this case it could be reasonable…. but I would ask to staff before ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by