274 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
pebas says

Thanks and nice piece of code, spare time!

Yes I’m lazy! :)

1611 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

Thanks a lot for sharing it :)

170 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
michaeldale says

Um I’m sure the file is nice and all but isn’t this against the rules?

Because of the commercial nature of the Envato networks, authors are expected to understand and respect the fact that using the forum to post links to one’s own items, or to give away free files to the community, is not allowed. This practice effectively undercuts the hard work of all authors who wish to sell their items fairly, and as such it is not tolerated.

This seems like a massive double standard to me.

309 posts
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+5 more
cosmincotor says

@ michaeldale

I understand your concerns, but this is not a product that’s being given away for free to potential buyers, it’s a tool that only envato authors can use to improve the way they offer support to their customers.

170 posts
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
michaeldale says

@ michaeldale I understand your concerns, but this is not a product that’s being given away for free to potential buyers, it’s a tool that only envato authors can use to improve the way they offer support to their customers.

@cosmincotor

Before I start your item looks great, and I think it is great that you are offering this for free. But for example a lot of my buyers would already be authors on this site.

I also think that the rules are pretty clear; or to give away free files to the community, is not allowed.. It says nothing about if the item is for an author or not.

Now if codecanyon/envato decide to change that rule then that is fine. I just think that the rules are clear and it concerns me that even moderators don’t seem to follow these rules.

5537 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

As it’s a free item that is directly for our Marketplaces and benefits our authors, I don’t have a problem with posting it on the forums.

4332 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

@ michaeldale I understand your concerns, but this is not a product that’s being given away for free to potential buyers, it’s a tool that only envato authors can use to improve the way they offer support to their customers.

@cosmincotor

Before I start your item looks great, and I think it is great that you are offering this for free. But for example a lot of my buyers would already be authors on this site.

I also think that the rules are pretty clear; or to give away free files to the community, is not allowed.. It says nothing about if the item is for an author or not.

Now if codecanyon/envato decide to change that rule then that is fine. I just think that the rules are clear and it concerns me that even moderators don’t seem to follow these rules.

It’s a marketplace tool! You should be thanking Cosmin for taking the time to build it and help us protect our sales. The rules are clear. You are not allowed to give freebies of commercial nature, files that can be found on the marketplaces. This is not something for buyers, it’s for authors. Thank you for your concern, but we care about the rules and the marketplaces! Thats why this item is a feebie in the first place.

2635 posts Community Team
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+18 more
contrastblack Envato team says

I just think that the rules are clear and it concerns me that even moderators don’t seem to follow these rules.

Not to be blunt or anything… but quite frankly, if more than a few moderators visibly back this item up as a freebie tool for AIDING authors, it concerns me that you either consider us all to be either two-faced or plain imbeciles. :D

I can assure you, we’re neither, (while I can’t vouch for myself regarding the second one, I’m pretty sure my fellow mods and staff are beyond a doubt competent) but a permission has been requested for this item to be shared freely, and upon consultation, the general decision was that it is indeed abstract of any commercially available item on the marketplaces, it is for the good and benefit of ALL authors, and finally, it’s something that could very well be considered part of the Envato Author toolset. Hence, there’s no ignoring or twisting of rules, but simply perhaps a harsh perspective on the syntax used to describe “the rules”.

A basic example : Cats are not allowed.

Option one : Kill all cats at the doorstep ( O_o ) Option two : Allow all pets, except cats, to enter.

Both options are a correct resolution to the initial statement, yet only one of them is viable really :D

Thanks again for your vigilance, and fair words towards the author of this item.

Kind regards, Cb.

170 posts
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
michaeldale says

@cosmincotor

It’s a marketplace tool! You should be thanking Cosmin for taking the time to build it and help us protect our sales. The rules are clear. You are not allowed to give freebies of commercial nature, files that can be found on the marketplaces. This is not something for buyers, it’s for authors. Thank you for your concern, but we care about the rules and the marketplaces! Thats why this item is a feebie in the first place.

So if I understand you correctly any item that benefits authors only is allowed to be given away or posted for free (with permission)?

For example any of the following items would seem to match your criteria:

http://codecanyon.net/item/envato-addict/2605629?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=createit-pl http://codecanyon.net/item/envato-product-storefront/241358?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=jscheetz http://codecanyon.net/item/wp-envato/109101?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=phpdude http://codecanyon.net/item/envato-stats-plugin/2641715?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=orange-themes http://codecanyon.net/item/authorboard-board-for-envato-authors/2677947?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=chillipear

I think this is unfair on the authors above who have spent their time writing applications that are designed for authors.

@contrastblack You clearly have taken words out of my mouth and I have said nothing of the sort. I was simply stating my concern over this single decision.

Also I believe that your metaphor is incorrect. A correct example would be:

Rule: No pets are allowed

Envato Says: Mr Bigglesworth the cat is allowed to stay as he catches all the mice in the basement and keeps Dr Evil in check.

If this is the case that is fine, I have no problem with it, I just think that the rules should be updated to reflect this so that it is clear.

4332 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

So, to make this argument valid and clear so we can stop talking about this in vain.

1. There is a section called Envato Extras, where people like Jeffrey, who made the class, and Cosmin, who later used it and modified it , spent countless hours to make something free, to help you and me, protect our sales. There is no such script, and frankly, being based entirely on a FREE ( as in tutorial ) class, made by Jeffry, this item could not have been accepted, and cannot compete with anything else on the marketpalces. It’s a class made by Jeffrey, and modified by Cosmin! Clear as day right?

2. Before posting anything on the forums that might infringe copyright rules, as ContrastBlack said, we ask the staff, the guys behind the scenes, ” Hey, I just got a free file from Cosmin, and this is crazy, but here’s the link, so let’s share it with the community maybe? ”

3. Let me tell you what you just said with those links, and PS, if you are such a huge fan of following the rules, posting items on the forums is not allowed! :) I noticed you bolded out the rule against Cosmin! Just felt the need to mention this too! No bold! But getting back to the subject. Your comparison with the items is as follows
Mercedes, give out Navigation systems for cars for 2000$ extra!
Bugatti, gives them out for no extra fee! Basically, free!

Last but not least, I’m not removing the links, staff probably will but I would like them to see them too so they understand my following argument! None of the items you’ve posted have anything to do with the script Cosmin built. He built a frying pan, you showed us links to palm trees. Same connection. If you understand my metaphor!

4. I fail to see why we are arguing over this. Cosmin basically saved you some sales! And gave you the option to parnter up with someone who already has an account, instant example, I just added the script to my support page. My WordPress developer can ask buyers to go check for the pruchase validity at my support page, and he gets the e-mail if the buyer is legit. Saving me time to check the buyer, and forward him to my WP guy! So awesome script!

I’ve not meant to offend in any way with my post , just trying to get a message out, we should thank this guy, not smack him against a wall! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by