• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
+1 more
bobocel says
interesting article but I think if that was the case 100 percent of the time it would be to easy and it is not that easy. plus it would be boring if all sites were the same. On my high def 1920 pixel monitor all website text is hard to read no matter what. (except for Collis’s Blog)(which I never sceen before but is very interesting.

I for one experience this issue as well, and looking at websites now I think I’ll adopt this standard. I emailed the post to the designers I know too. :)

121 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
egobuilders says

I don’t agree with 100E2R at all. It depends on who you are marketing too. Do we want every website to look like a cheap template blog? Using text is pretty much common sense, if it looks good and is legible, then it will look good and be legible, right? It seems like a no-brainer to me. Thanks for the 100E2R link, though, I love staying current, I just like to think outside the box sometimes :)

2104 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
fifty_tons says

it depends, although larger text is easier to read, most of the times smaller text is a lot more elegant. So it really depends on the style of the website.

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says
It depends on who you are marketing too.

I completely agree. In addition, I disagree with the notion that images should not contain text.

If your website is intended to be an information hub, than yes these ideas make sense. But if your website is intended to entice someone into picking up the phone and calling you for your services or products, then visual appearance is much more important.

The bottom line is, if you’re not a blog or other news type site, most people don’t read text anyway. This is why most websites should keep it short and sweet, and try to avoid scrolling at all costs.

3402 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
bobocel says
I don’t agree with 100E2R at all. It depends on who you are marketing too. Do we want every website to look like a cheap template blog? Using text is pretty much common sense, if it looks good and is legible, then it will look good and be legible, right? It seems like a no-brainer to me. Thanks for the 100E2R link, though, I love staying current, I just like to think outside the box sometimes :)

I think 100E2R is the out of the box here, as the majority of websites is using small size text. ;)

4247 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

That page had lots of rules.

164 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
hagdesigns says

Wow, what a great article. I’ve been to so many websites where the designer needs to read that article.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

I don’t really agree with the article but it’s certainly a good read.

Don’t tell us to get glasses Rather, stop licking your screen, lean back (!) and continue reading in a relaxed position.

Sorry but you probably are going blind. To comfortably read that article, I need to literally move my chair ~2ft from my desk. Reading The Netsetter is even worse (sorry Collis!). It actually reminds me of the TV remotes or land line phones with giant buttons.

It all depends on the situation and what the website’s goals are I think.

Filling pages with stuff has never helped usability. It’s laziness that makes you throw all kinds of information at us.

In some cases I agree that it is laziness but not all. Personally, I like having more information visibly available. I thrive on tons of information all the time so I think larger font works well for simple blogs and similar types of websites but that’s about it.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Edit: Plus, if font was meant to be that big you’d think that operating systems would use a larger font too.

8114 posts Community Moderator
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says
This is why most websites should keep it short and sweet, and try to avoid scrolling at all costs.

I hate scrolling :D

Edit: Plus, if font was meant to be that big you’d think that operating systems would use a larger font too.

Very good point! :)

530 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Croatia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
darius9000 says
Well, ok, you can also CTRL +Scroll, but that changes the size of everything, which is not what I always want.

not on a mac :) on a mac, you zoom the whole screen ;) which is great! :D

by
by
by
by
by
by