4669 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

Does anyone notice certain files are being overpriced, such as the low to mid price range files? Personally I would not purchase a preloader for $4 but I would buy a website template for $40… just seems the low range files are far too expensive and would sell a lot better if they were say half the price. Look at the top selling files for example, the majority of files are over $20 and the top files are mostly website templates.

Another thing I noticed is certain files that sell well but are at a low price started off as simple files, but have been updated over time with additional features so therefore are better value compared to similar files. If they were uploaded with those features from the start – they would’ve been priced higher but then would not sell as well.

So are low price range files worth developing? or is it better to put them in a website template or combine them in a pack, this seems to be the better way to sell items here…thoughts?

8273 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says

Regarding preloaders yeah they should usually fall in the $2-3 category but if its a really nice piece of work then it should deserve more and get $4, but then whether it sells more depends how fussed people are about spending the extra $1-2.

Ever since Triworks dropped out their XML Template its been the fad and always will be and will therefore mostly fill the popular files section…every author wants a big chunk of pie and will therefore make templates…

Developing lower priced files is obviously a clever niche, you need only look at VF’s rating, portfolio and sales to work that out… he’s got the top two popular files over the last 3 months and has done for ages…

You could say he’s beating you DS ;) :D hehe

6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

We can find 2 different kinds of additional features. One is just adding a generic option. For example consider a banner rotator. If we add thumbnails for that banner, it can no longer be priced like other banners as it will undercut the sales of galleries. So for that kind of features, I guess reviewers will just raise the price and at the end we can’t expect average sales than a gallery. We can say such features will just help to raise the price (not the value).

The second one is unique, time saving and/or creative features (in other words the features that are not already available in any other items ). For such features I believe the prices can’t be raised just for the sake of honoring the author or to differentiate from other files. So that can result more than average sales. If prices raised for such features, it will really ruin the sales as well as the author and Flashden!

So for economical, risk free experience, my opinion is +1 for standalone small items but only when we discover or invent useful features. Not always!

On the other hand, adding unique features for one modlue of a template may not give good results as some of the buyers may expect to pay only for that feature and not the full template. So from that perspective, it is better to upload unique featured ones as separate files and use generic modlues for full site templates.

2195 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
+13 more
mpc says

I think it’s easier to make money with “bigger files” (image gallery, templates). Because for example if I earn 1$ for each sell of my preloader and 8$ for each sell of my gallery I have to sell 8 times more preloaders to earn the same money, with the amount of preloader that are out there is hard to invent somethink new that will become the best seller ;) So I think I will focus on bigger files…

140 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
FlashBros says

Hi DS,

I think that the better way of making big money on flashden is making nice website templates, but it’s also a big guess because it is a huge amount of work. This guess don’t really apply to you, because you are very well known on this site ( in fact you are the best known author on this site ) and you don’t have anymore to worry about that, because there is a lot of people and buyers that will go directly to your portfolio to see what’s new. And also when you put a new item on the site, no need to say that everybody will take a look at it. The problem with beginners like us ( and like many others) is that there’s allway’s a chance that a very good file go straight ahead and remained almost unknown. If the file come online during the week-end or on a low week, or simply if the file is immediately followed by 20 new files. So that’s my point…Yes it could be very very good to put online a nice complete website template ( we have a very good one coming soon). But it can also be a a good chunk loss if it don’t sell like expected. Little files are less likely going to make the popular files, but even if you only make 300$ in the year with it, that is still a good deal if you made it in 2-3 hours. and if you almost don’t sell at all, that’s only a 3 hours lost, nothing to cry about. ;)

409 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
arctic_ark says

‘mo money mo problems’

1285 posts
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

I buy here because it’s a component site, not a template site. If I wanted a template site, I’d go back to buying templates from the template-vendor sites. Personally as a buyer here, I much prefer a lot of great components (flv players, rotators, animations, games, polls other unique stuff), compared to templates, since I come here for components not templates.

I’d suggest FD spin off templates into their own site, because it’s a different buyer/set of needs than component buyers.

1552 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dSKY says
I buy here because it’s a component site, not a template site. If I wanted a template site, I’d go back to buying templates from the template-vendor sites. Personally as a buyer here, I much prefer a lot of great components (flv players, rotators, animations, games, polls other unique stuff), compared to templates, since I come here for components not templates.

I’d suggest FD spin off templates into their own site, because it’s a different buyer/set of needs than component buyers.

this is a very interesting response ….
4669 posts Love & Light
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says
I buy here because it’s a component site, not a template site. If I wanted a template site, I’d go back to buying templates from the template-vendor sites.

so why would you rather purchase templates from othersites and not here? also would you say the components are reasonably priced here compared to othersites – just want to get a buyers insight here ;)

1234 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+5 more
MBMedia says
I buy here because it’s a component site, not a template site. If I wanted a template site, I’d go back to buying templates from the template-vendor sites.

so why would you rather purchase templates from othersites and not here? also would you say the components are reasonably priced here compared to othersites – just want to get a buyers insight here ;)

I find that most other template sites are designs with some animation and maybe a few external text files (I said most, don’t crucify me! I’m mostly referring to template monster type sites!), while on FD most templates are fully programmed and externally driven and meant for you to customize the looks. So in other words most sites are made for a programmer that doesn’t know design, while FD is made for a designer that doesn’t know programming, or someone that doesn’t really know either.

by
by
by
by
by
by