• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

yup sometimes other buyers help each other out in the comments which is great, but sometimes they give the wrong solution which doesn’t work and people get frustrated, then you get the back and forth of trial and error comments, code is posted and then your file page looks like a disaster… author comes on later and just says, oh you must just publish for Flash 8 and then problem is solved :)

Only the author should be answering the support questions, after all we did make the file ;)

right now we have 2 separate channels for support, through comments and via email, let’s just simplify it and channel all support via email and author can post the relevant answers on the FAQ .

3058 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
wickedpixel says

Well.. i think a file FAQ tab/area will be great… Editable only by the file developer…
The comment area will still be good for questions/messages that are not yet present in the faq area…
This way you can put an order in the things that are important there. Support facts/conditions; troubleshooting; help; etc

2075 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
LanceSnider says

I know this issue is a lot bigger of a deal for authors like DS with huge portfolios. The comment about needing a fulltime comment guy for your files probably isn’t too far from the truth. ;)

I like the idea of improving the comments, but I just can’t get behind getting rid of them altogether. They are too important to the community. Of course the authors will come back regardless, but the vast majority of our members aren’t authors. Like Bobocel said, there are entire communities built around each file. Comments keep people coming back and in turn make authors more money.

Comments are also too important to the potential buyer. People are hesitant to buy things they don’t fully understand. Descriptions tell a lot, but people want to hear the experiences of others.

That being said, I love the idea of making the file pages more useful to both the developers and the buyers.

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Yeah, I have to agree with Lance. DS just recently I emailed you prematurely and after reading comments in your file I was able to fix the problem.

I do understand dealing with the comments and the emails can be overwhelming especially for you. Why dont you just use some code to make some bold/larger/colored text in your description that says something like

“Comments may be used to comment, and discuss the file, but please note I will only issue support through email. If you have an issue you need help with please email me”

This way users can post questions in the comments that others can answer. The comments can still be used for general feedback. BUT you no longer need to worry about reading the comments for support related issues.

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

I know, I’m a genius!

by