2118 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

It crossed my mind that it might be useful to have a tool to make it possible for authors to offer and buyers to choose the footage in resolution they need. Right now the only option is to upload footage in different resolutions bundled together (which raises the price) or upload them as separate files (and I don’t know if this is even allowed, I guess it is).

Has this been considered before? Any thoughts on this?

P.S. I apologize to all AE people here, I know how much you hate stock footage on VideoHive :D But this suggestion should also apply to you, right?

5076 posts
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Generally, the buyer will be able to transcode / downsize footage no problem in any NLE. As long as it’s big enough to start with. Full HD should do. :-)

2118 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

Generally, the buyer will be able to transcode / downsize footage no problem in any NLE. As long as it’s big enough to start with. Full HD should do. :-)

I am aware of that. But still, if author offers a file in, for example, 4k resolution, and the buyer needs only fullHD, he might not want to spend 4 or 5 times the price only to downscale it from 4k to fullHD.

My 2cents…

5076 posts
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more

I am aware of that. But still, if author offers a file in, for example, 4k resolution, and the buyer needs only fullHD, he might not want to spend 4 or 5 times the price only to downscale it from 4k to fullHD.

My 2cents…

Are higher resolution clips more expensive?

2118 posts
+6 more
urbazon says

My 2cents…
Are higher resolution clips more expensive?

Yes, they are. $20 or more, at least from what I saw so far.

372 posts
    Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Joined an Envato Football competition Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
motionvids says

I just deliver one .AE file which is in 1080p in default. Then I embed this 1080p in a 720p composition and scale it down. All changes you make to the 1080p comp are now automatically applied to any other resolution you might have created. In the end the only thing left for the customer to do is to select the right resolution comp and render it.

It does add value to your product, yet I don’t think the price will increase because of it?

2118 posts
+6 more
urbazon says

Basically, something similar exists on PhotoDune, when you choose the size of image you want. Although, resizing is done automatically on PhotoDune, which doesn’t have to be the case on VideoHive. And the larger the image is, the higher the price is as well.

372 posts
    Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Joined an Envato Football competition Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
motionvids says

Basically, something similar exists on PhotoDune, when you choose the size of image you want. Although, resizing is done automatically on PhotoDune, which doesn’t have to be the case on VideoHive. And the larger the image is, the higher the price is as well.

I think it costs too much resources to do this for stock footage. Imagine a server having to downscale or render multiple 4k/1080p files 24 hours a day all the time? Wouldn’t that require a lot of horsepower, something like YouTube has?

5076 posts
+11 more

I think it costs too much resources to do this for stock footage. Imagine a server having to downscale or render multiple 4k/1080p files 24 hours a day all the time? Wouldn’t that require a lot of horsepower, something like YouTube has?

What percentage of Videohivers are actually shooting in 4K?... 0.1%?

What opportunities are there to present video in a higher resolution than 1080P HD? Not many. Strikes me that there’s not much sense in uploading 4K footage at the moment, if all it serves to do is price you out of the market.

Personally, I think that clips should be priced on production value. 4K is sort of a production value, because it indicates that the original recordings were lightly compressed, and that you’ve shot on a real movie camera..

Circumstantially, this will probably often go hand in hand with higher production values across the board, but I don’t think footage should be much more expensive simply because it’s 4K.

2118 posts
+6 more
urbazon says

I am aware of the technical difficulties, that’s exactly why I said it doesn’t have to be the case at VideoHive. I just mentioned the PhotoDune system to make it clear what I initially meant. Main point is that at VideoHive authors themselves could choose to upload different resolutions of their footage.

But, felt_tips is right, I guess there isn’t much need for that (at least not yet) because there isn’t that many footage in resolution above fullHD.

by
by
by
by
by
by