When a buyer asks a question and the author responds, the buyer can then respond to the author’s response and you end up with a nice and organized packaged discussion. But if a buyer creates a post, he/she can not directly respond to his/her own comment. And this creates the following situation:
comment: Help with problem “a”!
20 minutes later:
comment: Ok, I solved problem “a”, help with problem “b”!
20 minutes later:
comment: Ok, I solved problem “b”, help with problem “c”!
The result is:
- Item has almost a whole page of comments from the same buyer
- Even though the buyer solved all his own questions, instead of responding once with a “glad you figured it out, let me know if you have any other questions”, I end up having to answer each comment individually, because unanswered comments are bad for business.
They do can respond their previous comment. But, yes, some of them don’t know that there is “reply” button on their previous comment, or they prefer to post new comment to get more attention from the author.
For this type of buyers, when a buyer start asking many questions in item comments, I always use this standard answers:
“Hi buyername, could we continue this discussion privately by contacting us via our [ profile page | support forum ]. It will make it easier for both you and us to answer your questions properly.”
Note: This is temporary solution before Envato has better support solution.
^ Unfortunately this is not correct. And it’s easy for authors to overlook this as the issue applies to buyers only.
- buyer comment
- author responds
- buyer can now respond to original comment thread
- buyer comment
- buyer tries to add to the discussion but can not respond to their original comment if the author has yet to respond, and instead must create a new post
It’s also common for buyers to say “Sorry for all the posts, I can’t seem to respond to my own comments”.
- buyer commentIt’s also common for buyers to say “Sorry for all the posts, I can’t seem to respond to my own comments”.
- buyer can not respond to their initial comment and must post another
Ouwh, I just realized this “Example Two”... Thanks for sharing…
I also think it might be a good idea to let buyers respond to each others comments. That way buyers with the same questions could contribute to a previous discussion as opposed to always having to create a new one.
I’ll send this through to Justin to have a look at.
This would be very helpful, I myself found in the same situation with over 400+ comments to a single Item, but I highly doubt it will come anytime soon.
Wow this does seem pretty broken. Letting the buyer reply to their original comment seems like the obvious next step. Maybe there was a good reason, but it’s not obvious to Ben or I now, so I’ll add a ticket and we’ll see if anything odd comes up!
Yeah, that would be great, a lot of my customers forgot to include some details in their questions, and they come back after 1 hour opening a new thread. Usually I reply to his first thread [to all his questions] and then report the other one to be deleted.
But if a buyer creates a post, he/she can not directly respond to his/her own comment.
replying seems to work with a bit of user scripting, eg: http://codecanyon.net/item/blades-3d-responsive-retina-ready-banner-rotator/discussion/4898229#comment_4244850
would be nice to enable this “buyer can reply to their own comment” feature. I do get the occasional duplicate comments which would have been easier to follow if original-buyer-reply was allowed.
edit in theory that means anybody can reply to anyone elses comment by changing parent_id
edit again it would kinda be cool to let any verified buyer reply to anyones comment – I get quite a few people who reply like @otherguy your doing it wrong, check the faq and stuff. but that’s a bit out of scope of this thread (and there would need to be a moderator feature allowing reported comments to be split out into their own thread (if this doesn’t already exist?) )
- Please read our community guidelines. Self promotion and discussion of piracy is not allowed.
- Open a support ticket if you would like specific help with your account, deposits or purchases.
- Item Support by authors is optional and may vary. Please see the Support tab on each item page.
Most of all, enjoy your time here. Thank you for being a valued Envato community member.