1395 posts
  • 7 Years of Membership
  • Collector Level 6
  • Community Superstar
  • Super Copyright Ninja
graphic4444
says

Hi -

I routinely make .flv videos that are relatively high resolution, from .wmv/.avi source, and it takes forever. Resolution 950×575 etc. I’ve been using on2 flix pro to encode (dual encode VBR for best looking video) for years; it seems faster than sorenson, so I use that. But for example it takes like an hour to encode a 20-minute video using dual-pass VBR flv encoding. I’ve tested w/various framerates and compression ratios and it’s all still slow.

Any tips on wmv/avi-to flv encoding software other than sorenson and flix pro, to speed up source-to-flv conversion? i use sony vegas pro for my NLE , would be great if they natively output to high res flv, but they don’t, so I always output to avi or wmv, then encode to flv from there. I use win7 on a relatively fast computer. maybe moving to SSD would speed stuff up? but that’s a lot of work, reinstalling windows 7 plus all software, so maybe do that later this year. in the meantime, any tips on speeding up encoding?

thanks…

2505 posts Small, but tough
  • Affiliate Level 7
  • Author Level 8
  • Beta Tester
  • Collector Level 4
+13 more
EFEKT_Studio
says

import source file to AE and render it out with flv. I think it should be pretty fast.

1636 posts AEdorde.com - After Effects Projects
  • Elite Author
  • Helpful Hacker
  • Author Level 8
  • Affiliate Level 7
+11 more
dorde
says

I’m using this http://www.pazera-software.com/products/video-to-flash-converter/ for avi to flv conversion. It’s free, portable, good, easy and fast.

1121 posts inlifethrill
  • Affiliate Level 5
  • Author Level 9
  • Collector Level 3
  • Top Monthly Author
+12 more
InlifeThrill
says

Always used After Effects. Speed is settings dependent, don’t know how software can significantly affect that. At least that’s my experience as a Windows user. This could differ with Mac. This stuff tends to work in similar manner, I reckon.

536 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Author Level 9
  • Trendsetter
+11 more
steve314
says
“Any video converter” is freeware and does the job very fast too!
http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/
1395 posts
  • 7 Years of Membership
  • Collector Level 6
  • Community Superstar
  • Super Copyright Ninja
graphic4444
says

thanks… that’s one thing that maybe the new SSD drives could help speed up, in addition to render times, is conversion-to-compressed format rerenders to flv too… would be interesting to hear if any of you get SSDs, to see impact on render times for various stuff, like AE-to whatever format

877 posts
  • Weekly Top Seller
  • Author Level 6
  • Exclusive Author
  • 3 Years of Membership
+4 more
GrizzleFX
says

“Any video converter” is freeware and does the job very fast too!
http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

+1

146 posts
  • Weekly Top Seller
  • Elite Author
  • Author Level 9
  • Top Monthly Author
+9 more
plamencvetanov
says

Already 2-3 years i render the quicktime from AE in HQ and then i convert it to flv with Xilisoft Converter.The rendertime is always below a minute and the quality is not bad,the size too.This is always what i use. :)

1395 posts
  • 7 Years of Membership
  • Collector Level 6
  • Community Superstar
  • Super Copyright Ninja
graphic4444
says

thanks everyone; some very good ideas; I’ll try them out… anything that saves time is helpful

4954 posts
  • Affiliate Level 1
  • Author Level 4
  • Collector Level 4
  • Envato Team
+11 more
MarkBrodhuber
Envato team
says

I use Adobe Media Encoder, it’s fast and rock solid.

by
by
by
by
by
by