323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
familychoice says

WOW! so you are saying that anyone who builds a website with a theme from here, then charges people to join that site needs an extended lic?

It looks that way, unless I, and the author of the theme I’m interested in are mistaken.

I’ve always wondered why there were so few paid membership/ad based themes on here – I guess this is the reason why.

For the record I appreciate the extra work that goes into such a theme, so I’d be prepared to pay extra. But not 50x extra.

669 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

@Typps, this thread is not about a plugin or script, its about a whole website theme from themeforest, so while what you said makes kinda sense for codecanyon, i dont think its correct for themeforest.

@squaredWeb, your right, the licensing FAQ states this:

I have a paid service where users can customize their own web pages. I am purchasing an admin template to use in this service, which is accessed by my users. Which license do I need?

You need the extended license, because your users are charged to access your service.

source: http://themeforest.net/licenses/faq#i-have-a-paid-service-where-users-can-customize

The end user does not receive the admin template, but because they have interacted with it and this interaction was behind a paywall, an extended license is required. It appears my interpretation is simply wrong, going to shutup now :)

92 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
CanCars says

Makes one wonder, how do you control your “clients” from doing such with a site you built for them using a theme from here? Do you have to babysit every client for the rest of your life? crazzzy

Thanks for starting this thread familychoice, twas VERY enlightening…now how do we let the other 1 million newb users know? LOL… YT here we come!!!

323 posts
familychoice says

Makes one wonder, how do you control your “clients” from doing such with a site you built for them using a theme from here? Do you have to babysit every client for the rest of your life? crazzzy

This is one of the queries I’ve posted – since it’s possible to add a non-Envato plugin to a theme that changes the nature of the site into a paid service, particularly with BuddyPress based themes, then the whole nature of that site has changed and could potentially require a different license.

If this is the case then I guess we’d have to put something in our agreements with clients similar to that of Envatos about site usage, so we weren’t stung with having to pay $2450 for the clients changes to their site after it had been signed off.

Thanks for starting this thread familychoice, twas VERY enlightening…now how do we let the other 1 million newb users know?

:) No problem, I flagged the original post for a staff reply yesterday so hopefully they can shed some light on the matter.

3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

No problem, I flagged the original post for a staff reply yesterday so hopefully they can shed some light on the matter.

If you really want a response you should either open a ticket or tweet them.. Talking from experience :D

6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
dcg627 says

Thanks for starting this familychoice. I’ve been wondering the exact same thing about the 2 themes you’re referring to, and it unfortunately sounds like we’d have to pay for the extended license to be able to charge for membership sites. I don’t mind paying more than the regular license amount, but can’t pay the $2,500.

Not sure why these developers wouldn’t just offer these themes outside of Themeforest.

Know of any similar themes/plugins sold outside of Themeforest?

6025 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

No problem, I flagged the original post for a staff reply yesterday so hopefully they can shed some light on the matter.
If you really want a response you should either open a ticket or tweet them.. Talking from experience :D

Are you talking about automated response? Anyway even on forums we get automated response from community ambassadors. ;)

On topic: The moment when Envato decided to make paid subscription utilization through Extended License route, most probably everything is unchangeable for at least 3-4 years. We are all just talking to our self. Don’t spoil these talking-towards-self threads!

3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Are you talking about automated response? Anyway even on forums we get automated response from community ambassadors. ;)

What?! There are automated responses?! :D

323 posts
familychoice says

Yeah you’re probably right, though it seems like it’s an issue for quite a few customers so maybe weight in numbers might get things moving a bit rather than the usual email ‘yeah right, whatever’ response.

Know of any similar themes/plugins sold outside of Themeforest?

There’s nothing similar available Wordpress theme wise, but there are other .php based solutions offering a similar service for around $100 – $200 (don’t panic moderators, I’m not posting any links or calling out). For other Wordpress service themes such as directories the general price is about $100 which to me seems fair enough, and updates and support are generally better than they are on here as I’ve just discovered yet another theme we’ve purchased here has been abandoned.

You could put together something very similar to at least one of the themes I think we’re both talking about using plug-ins. The theme itself though is very nicely styled and will save a lot of work, which is why we’re interested in it. It won’t save us $2500’s worth of work though.

On topic: The moment when Envato decided to make paid subscription utilization through Extended License route, most probably everything is unchangeable for at least 3-4 years.

Why is it unchangeable? I doubt they’re going to make any money from customers buying extended licenses for single use service websites, most customers either won’t bother or just purchase the standard license and hope they don’t get caught.

For the small number of themes that would be affected, it should be a relatively simple task to introduce a new license for paid services, or to be more fair treat them the same as shopping cart and business themes.

6025 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

On topic: The moment when Envato decided to make paid subscription utilization through Extended License route, most probably everything is unchangeable for at least 3-4 years.
Why is it unchangeable? I doubt they’re going to make any money from customers buying extended licenses for single use service websites, most customers either won’t bother or just purchase the standard license and hope they don’t get caught.

Common sense says: To avoid fragmentation and maintain consistency in licensing (for atleast couple of years) even if it lacks usability. Who cares usability when they are already successful in the industry.

One more serious pain-point with this is, even authors themselves may not aware what is actually going on with Extended License. For example, almost every author who disables Extended License are doing it to avoid distribution of work. But what actually happens is those authors doesn’t aware they closed the door for even non-distributing, paid subscription focused buyers. No one gains. This is why different license types are inevitable.

by
by
by
by
by
by