302 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
tunesurfers says

Hi, lately there was a difference of opinion among audiojungle authors about laying out vocals on a track and reselling it.

As far as i understand, now it’s tied to the author’s permission. So if you want to lay out vocals on a track, first you need to get permission from the author and then you can sell your finished track ONLY on envato marketplaces, NOT itunes, etc. Is this right?

Can we have a little more clarification on this?

103 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
ImadJomaa says

Glad to have things clarified. I’ve read through the notes and will read the licenses in detail to make sure I’m clear on the idea. I do think the chain can extend more than 3 items however, for example, a graphic (Item A) can be incorporated into a credit card number verification script (Item B ) on CodeCanyon. That credit card number verification script can be implemented into a shopping cart script/ecommerce (Item C), and that shopping cart script can be implemented into a content management system (Item D) developed specifically for CodeCanyon, and that CMS can be implemented into a very elaborate corporate management system (Item E) developed specifically for CodeCanyon with all the bells and whistles (theoretically larger).... Yes, would probably never happen. :P

2075 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
+7 more
LanceSnider says

Hi, lately there was a difference of opinion among audiojungle authors about laying out vocals on a track and reselling it.

As far as i understand, now it’s tied to the author’s permission. So if you want to lay out vocals on a track, first you need to get permission from the author and then you can sell your finished track ONLY on envato marketplaces, NOT itunes, etc. Is this right?

Can we have a little more clarification on this?

You are correct. They could not just add vocals and say that it’s been modified enough. That would be a limited repurposing. Also, I’m pretty sure iTunes wouldn’t allow that anyway.

5164 posts
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Hi Lance,

I’ve read the articles and I’d just like to clarify a couple of specifics – as a Videohive author.

First example. If I have an After Effects project file that’s selling well that uses an Audio Jungle track, I could boost the value of that file by buying an extended licence for the music track and selling it bundled with the After Effects project. The project is suddenly $10 better value, it would only take 4 extra sales to make back the cost of the Extended Licence. That’s a no-brainer. (from a practical point of view).
A sound effect is used exactly like this in one of the specific examples mentioned in the articles, so I guess it’s allowed. The music is not technically “incorporated” into the project, however. It is simply a linked asset and needs to be included “as is” as part of the download – a standalone if you like. It doesn’t need to be extracted or anything clever like that. It’s more like a bundle.
If this is all allowed and if I do this (I’m not sure I necessarily want to, but hypothetically) do I have to credit the author or could I sell it as my own work? (I always would credit the author, but I’m interested to learn how far this can go)
For myself, I like the idea of buying an Extended Licence for an AJ track and bundling it with my project download. It’s beneficial to me. But I have a nagging doubt at the back of my mind about whether this is morally right.

Second example. Someone buys a Videohive project from me… It’s a logo sting After Effects project. They import this project into another “bigger” After Effects project and sell it on Videohive. How about that? And let’s even take this example further: Let’s say I have a project that I made that has placeholders / text etc. and I have another, aesthetically similar logo sting project… in fact, just for the sake of argument, let’s assume I’m also an Audio Jungle author and that I have a completely separate item on AJ, which is a music track. Can someone buy an extended licence for my placeholder project, my logo project, my audio track, bolt them together in 10 minutes and sell it as a bigger project? Or is the crucial point that the format has to change… an After Effects project cannot be used in another After Effects project. If someone does do the above, then if I later choose to bolt my own items together into the same bigger project, do I run the risk of having it rejected, because it’s too similar to an already existent item?

My problem is that I often work out quite complex code for automating procedures in my projects. This is hard work. I want to be able to sell extended, so my work can be used on DVD releases etc. but I’d rather people didn’t just buy my projects, change the music track, colors, typeface and feel that they can legitimately sell it as their own. I would also object to projects being dismantled and asset (whether code, animations, designs) being broken out and used in other template projects. Once again, it feels that there are a lot of grey areas and that the licence is potentially legitimising something that doesn’t feel right. It’s open to abuse.

-felt.

2075 posts
+7 more
LanceSnider says

Hi Lance,

I’ve read the articles and I’d just like to clarify a couple of specifics – as a Videohive author.

First example. If I have an After Effects project file that’s selling well that uses an Audio Jungle track, I could boost the value of that file by buying an extended licence for the music track and selling it bundled with the After Effects project. The project is suddenly $10 better value, it would only take 4 extra sales to make back the cost of the Extended Licence. That’s a no-brainer. (from a practical point of view).

Yes, you’d be allowed to include the track as part of your AE project. Yes, that would increase the projects value, but remember, that track could ONLY be used in that project. It couldn’t be extracted and used elsewhere.
A sound effect is used exactly like this in one of the specific examples mentioned in the articles, so I guess it’s allowed. The music is not technically “incorporated” into the project, however. It is simply a linked asset and needs to be included “as is” as part of the download – a standalone if you like. It doesn’t need to be extracted or anything clever like that. It’s more like a bundle.
Though physically the buyer would have access to it, it could not be used on its own.
If this is all allowed and if I do this (I’m not sure I necessarily want to, but hypothetically) do I have to credit the author or could I sell it as my own work? (I always would credit the author, but I’m interested to learn how far this can go)
Everyone loves a shout out, but no, if you purchase the EL, you don’t need to give credit.

For myself, I like the idea of buying an Extended Licence for an AJ track and bundling it with my project download. It’s beneficial to me. But I have a nagging doubt at the back of my mind about whether this is morally right.

Second example. Someone buys a Videohive project from me… It’s a logo sting After Effects project. They import this project into another “bigger” After Effects project and sell it on Videohive. How about that? And let’s even take this example further: Let’s say I have a project that I made that has placeholders / text etc. and I have another, aesthetically similar logo sting project… in fact, just for the sake of argument, let’s assume I’m also an Audio Jungle author and that I have a completely separate item on AJ, which is a music track. Can someone buy an extended licence for my placeholder project, my logo project, my audio track, bolt them together in 10 minutes and sell it as a bigger project? Or is the crucial point that the format has to change… an After Effects project cannot be used in another After Effects project. If someone does do the above, then if I later choose to bolt my own items together into the same bigger project, do I run the risk of having it rejected, because it’s too similar to an already existent item?

No, definitely not. Taking it from one AE project to a different AE project is an example of limited re-purposing. Most of the changes we made were to prevent things like your example from happening.
My problem is that I often work out quite complex code for automating procedures in my projects. This is hard work. I want to be able to sell extended, so my work can be used on DVD releases etc. but I’d rather people didn’t just buy my projects, change the music track, colors, typeface and feel that they can legitimately sell it as their own. I would also object to projects being dismantled and asset (whether code, animations, designs) being broken out and used in other template projects. Once again, it feels that there are a lot of grey areas and that the licence is potentially legitimising something that doesn’t feel right. It’s open to abuse.

Neither of the examples you just mentioned would be allowed. Again, we want to give the buyers flexibility, but not at the expense of the authors. If you read the license, you’ll see that it specifically prohibits breaking out pieces of a file to use in another file. For example, you couldn’t buy an HTML theme and sell the button graphics on GR.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

5164 posts
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Thanks, Lance. Very useful.

40 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
nokiko says

Lance, I have one question regarding one specific purpose with the extended license

I buy an HTML or Worpress template.

I convert the design to a theme for an asp.net portal system I convert all the shortcodes to similar functionality for this portal system ( with backend and admin tools ) I convert the layout of blogs gallery etc to custom functionalty ( with backend and admin ) I create a demo setup that matches all the functionality I developed and save this a portal install package

I package this all ( skin , custom functionality, custom backend, dummy content to generate setup )

I now sell this package to my clients so they can use this setup on there system

In my eyes this is allowed because the original file is only a small part of the final single product ( I think once everything is developed the original file is between 10 and 20% of thefinal offering ) they cant be separated because every custom functionality backend and frontend is specifically targeted to only work in that setup

Am I correct in this?

2075 posts
+7 more
LanceSnider says

Lance, I have one question regarding one specific purpose with the extended license

I buy an HTML or Worpress template.

I convert the design to a theme for an asp.net portal system I convert all the shortcodes to similar functionality for this portal system ( with backend and admin tools ) I convert the layout of blogs gallery etc to custom functionalty ( with backend and admin ) I create a demo setup that matches all the functionality I developed and save this a portal install package

I package this all ( skin , custom functionality, custom backend, dummy content to generate setup )

I now sell this package to my clients so they can use this setup on there system

In my eyes this is allowed because the original file is only a small part of the final single product ( I think once everything is developed the original file is between 10 and 20% of thefinal offering ) they cant be separated because every custom functionality backend and frontend is specifically targeted to only work in that setup

Am I correct in this?

Regardless of how much functionality is added, if it starts as a template and ends as a template, that’s limited re-purposing. You’d still be able to do it, but only if you bought the extended license, asked the author’s permission, and only sold it on the Envato marketplaces.

1045 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

This thread is 2 months old. Does it still need to be sticky? Same question for the big brother thread, Part 1.

by
by
by
by
by
by