• Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
LanceSnider says

This thread is in reference to this article.

To be able to keep track of your comments and answer everyone’s questions, we’d like to keep the entire discussion for Part 2 all in one place.

If you have questions or comments on Part 1, please post them here. These are 2 very different things and we’ve discovered that when not discussed separately, it gets very confusing. :)

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

This is awesome Lance!

A few thoughts. When Author B incorporates Author A’s work, it would be great if Author B were asked to make a sincere effort to remove any Author A branding from the original work. This helps keep support where it belongs and also helps protect Author A’s reputation. My guess is this would just involve removing any logos or links in the original source pointing to the original author/work.

Another thing that I think would be good is to include something like this:

Neither the name of the author nor the names of contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

taken from this here:

http://www.robertpenner.com/easing_terms_of_use.html

Also, I know it’s kind of implied as limited repurposing, but it would be great if “converting a jQuery plugin to a WordPress plugin” could be added to the “prohibited” list in the article below as it’s going to be a common question.

http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/375

But so happy you guys worked on this! This is going to be great :)

2954 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

could it go more than 3 levels of extended usage within this marketplace when limited repurposing is used at each step along the way?

eg: GraphicRiver button to CodeCanyon jQuery Slider to CodeCanyon WordPress Plugin to ThemeForest WordPress Theme to ThemeForest Joomla Theme ? (lol – just in theory, doubt it would happen on that many levels – unless it was a reallly cool button!)

I guess as part of the Limited Repurposing author-to-author discussions we would decide if any name changes were to occur, or if the new author could re-use the same theme name and just add ” – Joomla” at the end or something. I guess having the same name and cross advertising items (eg: different themes on themeforest) would be the way to go – increases exposure.

2075 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+2 more
LanceSnider says

Nope, it definitely couldn’t go that far. jQuery slider to CC WP plugin as well as WP theme – Joomla theme are both limited repurposing.

could it go more than 3 levels of extended usage within this marketplace when limited repurposing is used at each step along the way?

eg: GraphicRiver button to CodeCanyon jQuery Slider to CodeCanyon WordPress Plugin to ThemeForest WordPress Theme to ThemeForest Joomla Theme ? (lol – just in theory, doubt it would happen on that many levels – unless it was a reallly cool button!)

I guess as part of the Limited Repurposing author-to-author discussions we would decide if any name changes were to occur, or if the new author could re-use the same theme name and just add ” – Joomla” at the end or something. I guess having the same name and cross advertising items (eg: different themes on themeforest) would be the way to go – increases exposure.
2954 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Nope, it definitely couldn’t go that far. jQuery slider to CC WP plugin as well as WP theme – Joomla theme are both limited repurposing.

ah sorry. I was a little confused.

CC jQuery Slider converted to a CC WP Plugin Slider is valid limited repurposing?
CC WP Plugin Slider to be included in a TF WP Theme is valid limited repurposing?
TF WP Theme converted to a TF Joomla Theme is valid limited repurposing?
TF Joomla Theme converted to a TF Drupal Theme is valid limited repurposing?

But that same CC jQuery Slider cannot be repurposed further once it has gone from jQuery to WP Plugin to WP Theme. If a user wanted to repurpose that WP Theme to a Joomla theme they wouldn’t be able to use the original slider unless a new extended licence was purchased?

I guess it doesn’t matter, the above wouldn’t be likely to happen. Yay for progress on licencing! Sorry for my silly brain trying to figure stuff out.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+5 more
CodingJack says

CC jQuery Slider converted to a CC WP Plugin Slider is valid limited repurposing?
CC WP Plugin Slider to be included in a TF WP Theme is valid limited repurposing?
TF WP Theme converted to a TF Joomla Theme is valid limited repurposing?
TF Joomla Theme converted to a TF Drupal Theme is valid limited repurposing?

From these four examples, the one that probably doesn’t need author permission is the WP Plugin -> WP Theme. Because that seems like the only case where one is a much larger project than the other.

269 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+1 more
Kopyov says

Not a word about admin templates. 2 of 5 presale questions are about an extended license usage, we asked you before to change license terms for admin themes, to create a developer license or at least to clarify applications usage. Why was that ignored?

And what about prices for E.L.? I remember there were some thoughts about lower prices

38 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
thememates says

This thread is in reference to this article.

To be able to keep track of your comments and answer everyone’s questions, we’d like to keep the entire discussion for Part 2 all in one place.

If you have questions or comments on Part 1, please post them here. These are 2 very different things and we’ve discovered that when not discussed separately, it gets very confusing. :)

This is where Envato fails to communicate well with the authors or concerned stakeholders. Updates like these should be sent via emails because nobody visits Envato notes and only a very small percentage of authors/buyers visit forums regularly. I don’t even see it as announcement in my dashboard.

233 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Stammi says

Not a word about admin templates. 2 of 5 presale questions are about an extended license usage, we asked you before to change license terms for admin themes, to create a developer license or at least to clarify applications usage. Why was that ignored? And what about prices for E.L.? I remember there were some thoughts about lower prices

Yeah, I was also excited to read the new licence and was so disappointed, that there was nothing about Admin Templates. I’ll refer to this thread.

5180 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

This is where Envato fails to communicate well with the authors or concerned stakeholders. Updates like these should be sent via emails because nobody visits Envato notes and only a very small percentage of authors/buyers visit forums regularly. I don’t even see it as announcement in my dashboard.

We will no doubt be linking to these article in our next Newsletter etc. We’ll try to spread the word to as many people as places as we can.

by
by
by
by
by
by