2 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
numediaweb says

Could you please provide extended licence examples for WordPress plugins? A person wanted to buy an extended licence for a plugin to resell it with some articles he sells… Does the licence cover this?

1 post
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
ReBeccaTu says

Hi. I am interested in purchasing one of the songs on this site…but am unsure of which license to purchase. I would like to use it in a youtube video that will be monetized…..can you please let me know which license I would need for the purpose in which I intend to use it? Thanks.

83 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
+1 more
DOTonPAPER says

Hi,

I see in the article:
On the Envato Marketplaces we don’t sell items, we sell licenses for those items.
Does this mean I can sell different licences without breaking the exclusivity agreement?
1 post
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
Maxcom1 says

We wants like to know same things as “Websys” ask several days ago. We also developers, and not bought anything as extended license is completely unclear!!!!! And new one harldly is not at all improved. Examples give by Envato little better, but still not very good.

There lots of nice wp plugins at codecanyon, plus some nice scripts. We wants to integrate into some of our works, but who the heck can tell what is possible with Envato dancing around questions never trying to give a straight answers!!! Very frustrating.

I agrees with Websys – he (I assume he, pls forgives if not) ask simple question, can one buy wp plugin extended licenses and integrate right into theme, prior to putting theme for sale – YES OR NO !

This supposed to be official thread for response. It seem very fishy to us that Envato not reply after several days pass of Websys question. Notice today Theme prices increase on Themeforest. Is Envato waiting to increase codecanyon prices before replying? If so very unethical. Now many days from question. If this the case we not buy anything, and warn all against purchase in this environment.

Response immediate should be. Unforgiveble that it take this much times in what supposed to be formal thread for questions about extended licenses. We wait not paitiently. If continues like this we not bring themes to this place as aparent ethics questionable.

2075 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
LanceSnider says

Hi, I see in the article:
On the Envato Marketplaces we don’t sell items, we sell licenses for those items.
Does this mean I can sell different licences without breaking the exclusivity agreement?
No, it doesn’t. Exclusivity is associated with the item, not how it’s sold.

Regarding WP plugins, that’s a good question. They’re a slightly different case than the others so we’re doing a bit of research to make sure we get it right. Answers coming soon. :)

33 posts
Websys says

Lance Thank you for finally providing an update.

I want to re-emphasize, we are inquiring about purchasing plugins, and building them into a theme. For example, the Striking theme currently integrates plugins such as breadcrumbs-plus, guar Sitemaps, google xml sitemaps, wp-pagenavi and Envato can review Striking to see what has been done. With each of these plugins, they have been integrated into the theme framework. So there are some plugins that we might purchase, integrate in a similar manner and build theme functions based upon this integration.

But there are also some plugins at Codecanyon that are in need of fairly significant rework, in those instances, we desire to buy an extended license, take apart the code, and rebuild/update it and integrate into future work, potentially not even in plugin form – thus in that instance the license purchase is to cover off whatever code from the original plugin might remain, even were it only one line of css.

Is hard to fathom what else an extended license for a plugin could be used for – if not the above purposes, then why does the extended license even exists for wp plugins? From our conversations with several plugin authors (we have helped a few here and there with code matters) it is pretty clear that this is what they think it is for, and they believe they are missing out on income opportunities since the issue has not been clarified. There is a forum thread at the moment where authors are griping about the lack of sales of extended licenses, and no wonder, as no one is willing to buy one at this time until this matter is clarified.

We can already guess at an issue Envato is actually grasping with – situations where a theme developer has paid say $100 for an extended plugin license, then goes on to sell several hundred copies of a theme or more, and thus you, and perhaps the author, are feeling that the plugin remuneration was not consummate with the outcome. But if so, we beg to differ. The long term success of a theme is never based solely on one piece of criteria. I would like to be pointed to any theme wherein it could be said the sole success was based on plugin integration(s). We all know the formula for theme success – its always a mix of good code, competitive features, and support. Furthermore, the theme author takes the financial risk up front by making an advance purchase for which they have no guarantee of any recovery.

Policing is another matter. That is the purpose of a good, clear license. It is then legally enforceable should it be necessary.

It is within our ability to build almost any plugin or functionality from the ground up without buying a plugin at codecanyon. Whether we would not end up reinventing the wheel, and thus setting up the potential for a legal battle down the road, is questionable – there are really only so many ways to tell a button to be a button, or a slide out to be a slide out – and in many instances, the php backing most of the plugins is found somewhere in the public domain previously. But it would be nice to buy from the marketplace – it saves work, and rewards the plugin authors, thus contributing and building the community.

We do entirely agree that one should not be buying a plugin, and simply including it in their theme package as an add-on or stand alone plugin.

Hopefully a decision on this matter will be forthcoming shortly.

2075 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
+2 more
LanceSnider says

Thanks, Websys, for your comments. Regarding the purchase of the extended license and plugins (Wordpress, Joomla, etc.):

There are 2 different ways one might integrate plugins in a theme to sell – as a bundle and as an integral part of the theme. Let’s look at each individually:

Integral part of the theme:
By this I mean, is it part of the actual design and functionality of the theme? You brought up the example of a breadcrumbs plugin. Breadcrumbs might be an integral part of the theme’s actual design and functionality. In this case, as long as you purchase an EL, that would be fine.

Bundle:
So the question would be – could I buy the 10 most successful plugins on CodeCanyon, and include them into my theme. If it’s not actually needed to make the theme work, then no. For example, if you’re creating a JigoShop theme, you couldn’t just include a bunch of payment gateways to add value. The theme would work fine without those gateways and therefore, this would merely be considered a bundle.

I will be adding this to the knowledgebase article shortly.

32 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
robocreatif says

What constitutes a “larger project?” I’ve just been made a aware of a product being sold on another site that’s using an item of mine as the main focus. Essentially it’s my item in a PHP wrapper as an add-on for a CMS .

I can only assume they purchased an extended license when I was opted-in, since we have no way of seeing who purchased what. It seems a little out of line to directly approach the developer and ask for their license code. I suppose what’s bugging me the most is that a single license of that item is being sold for $5 more than what the extended license cost.

How do updates apply in this case? As I update my item, they can continue to simply download it and pop the updated files into their item?

2075 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
+2 more
LanceSnider says

What constitutes a “larger project?” I’ve just been made a aware of a product being sold on another site that’s using an item of mine as the main focus. Essentially it’s my item in a PHP wrapper as an add-on for a CMS .

I can only assume they purchased an extended license when I was opted-in, since we have no way of seeing who purchased what. It seems a little out of line to directly approach the developer and ask for their license code. I suppose what’s bugging me the most is that a single license of that item is being sold for $5 more than what the extended license cost.

How do updates apply in this case? As I update my item, they can continue to simply download it and pop the updated files into their item?

I’d have to see the specific example, but that doesn’t sound right to me (assuming this was purchased since the changes were made). Email support and message me the ticket ID number.

33 posts
Websys says

I’d have to see the specific example, but that doesn’t sound right to me (assuming this was purchased since the changes were made). Email support and message me the ticket ID number.

Lance thank you for the reply.

It sort of helps, but I don’t believe the response provides enough clarity. In the example I cited about Striking having several built in plugins, of course Striking could have been designed to operate without those plugins – it gained “added” functionality as a result of their integration, but it could have worked without them as well. No plugin is a life or death situation for a theme. But citing the Striking example, the plugins are “integral” simply as they have been “Integrated” and thus certain theme functions/shortcodes/attributes rely on them as a result. In their absence, those functions/shortcodes/attributes would fail.

Your response was reading fine we came to the part about the payment gateways. That threw us because we could take that example, and stretch it to integrating another wp slider plugin, or gallery plugin, any of the shortcode plugins, the facebook/twitter/soclal media plugins, backup plugins, cms plugins, and really, almost every plugin in the repository.

The line drawn is still so murky, as it has a whole bunch of “if statements” attached. Whereas we believe it really should be yes other then as a part of a theme bundle or stand alone product. Now instead it is: might be, could be, maybe, etc…..

I just contacted two of the premium wp plugin developers (premium meaning their plugins sell, and they keep them up to date), and we had a discussion after reviewing the response, and we resolved that nothing was really resolved by the Envato response. Neither they or we could determine if it was permissible for we to buy an extended license for their plugin, add it to a theme framework and the theme be put up for sale.

Perhaps, one thing Envato might consider doing with the plugins is distinguishing between standalone/primary plugins and the added functionality plugins . A standalone plugin would be eligible for extended licensing should the author so desire, but a plugin that provides added functionality to another plugin would not be available for an extended license.

So taking some examples, the woocommerce plugin (not in this marketplace anyways) would be considered a primary plugin. However, the gateways plugins that depend on the woocommerce plugin to operate are not eligible for extended licenses. Using a marketplace example – the Styles with Shortcodes would be a considered a primary plugin and eligible for extended licensing, but the many addons dependent upon it for operation would not, and thus not be available for an extended license.

We think things need to be more defined on this issue. Perhaps our grasp is the same as yours, and we are missing the point, but as noted, conferring with some plugin authors led us all to the conclusion that the light was not yet shining, at least for any of us.

by
by
by
by
by
by