• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+9 more
WebFactory says

All these changes and clarifications are a valid step forward but I have to be honest – things are moving forward too slow and the whole licensing ordeal is still quite a mess. Hope to see more improvements soon.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

All these changes and clarifications are a valid step forward but I have to be honest – things are moving forward too slow and the whole licensing ordeal is still quite a mess. Hope to see more improvements soon.

I’d love to see this poll on Envato Notes:

As an author, I haven’t yet opted into the extended license program because:

a) I was already in!
b) I opted-in with the latest update
c) I’m waiting for pricing to get better
d) I’m waiting to be able to opt-in on a per-file basis
e) I still have concerns about cross-marketplace usage
f) What’s the extended license program?

230 posts Premium Website Design
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
ThemeFusion says

I’ve got an important question … someone just bought an extended license PSD item of mine. I already have the Wordpress version on Themeforest so I assume the intention would be to code it into a HTML template and resell it.

If they are intending to create an HTML template out of it, don’t they have to ask my permission first? In this case I’d be saying no for a few reasons. So you can see that I’m curious as to why this person bought the extended license, I have not heard from anyone yet. I assume that would be something they would ask before putting up the large cash amount.

What else could they be intending to do with it?

2075 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
LanceSnider says

I’ve got an important question … someone just bought an extended license PSD item of mine. I already have the Wordpress version on Themeforest so I assume the intention would be to code it into a HTML template and resell it.

If they are intending to create an HTML template out of it, don’t they have to ask my permission first? In this case I’d be saying no for a few reasons. So you can see that I’m curious as to why this person bought the extended license, I have not heard from anyone yet. I assume that would be something they would ask before putting up the large cash amount.

Yep, you’re correct. They’d definitely need to ask your permission first if they planned to put it in a template. They could be using it for an application they plan to sell. It could also be a template for a web service such as WPMU .

• Power Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
ThemeFusion says

Yep, you’re correct. They’d definitely need to ask your permission first if they planned to put it in a template. They could be using it for an application they plan to sell. It could also be a template for a web service such as WPMU .

Thanks Lance! Is there any way to find out what the purpose would be? I’m inclined to think it would be a HTML or Magento template, which they would need to ask. I guess the only thing I can do is keep my eye out for it and go from there. I wish there was a way to contact the person who purchased the ext. license.

• Power Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
ThemeFusion says

In addition to my last post, would they need to get my permission to put it in an application or web service?

I’m very curious as to what they are using it for and where :) I guess thats not something we’re suppose to know, unless its a template they are selling here, which would mean they would need to ask permission.

2075 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
LanceSnider says

In addition to my last post, would they need to get my permission to put it in an application or web service? I’m very curious as to what they are using it for and where :) I guess thats not something we’re suppose to know, unless its a template they are selling here, which would mean they would need to ask permission.

Nope, they wouldn’t need to ask to put it in an application or web service. That’s just one of the more normal uses of the EL. As for knowing what they’re using the item for, no, that’s not something we require of our buyers. Luckily, most of them use our licenses properly and the rest are easy to spot. :)

4 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
WPFortress says

Hi guys,

thanks for the great article! I have one question regarding licences:

I’ve bought a collection of various elements at GraphicRiver (regular licence). We have a main domain with multiple subdomains, and can we use the elements from that graphics pack as a logos for that website and its subdomains?

For example, if I have a graphics pack of 10 elements, can we have:

1) www.site.com – 1st element as a logo 2) something.site.com – 2nd element as a logo 3) theme documentation – 3rd element as a logo

Can we use those graphics for this purpose? And we’ll add a note inside website’s legal documents that stock graphics were used for the logo, and whatever else is needed to be done.

One more thing – this website will be used for listing out items from Themeforest, subdomains for forums, etc. :)

33 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
Websys says

Ok, having reviewed the post “Extended License Changes – Part 1” and also “Extended License Usage Examples, specific confirmation of the following question is requested:

Can a Codecanyon WP plugin be purchased, and integrated into a WP Theme for sale?

It appears the answer is yes, as the Extended License Usage Examples stipulates:

2. Using an item as a small element of a larger project: 1. A jQuery slider from CodeCanyon could be used in a theme for sale.

However, a specific confirmation in writing is requested from someone who is authorized to speak on behalf of Envato and bind the corporation. This way, there is no ambiguity, or “oh, but we did not mean that…..” sort of thing.

It was most “interesting” that all the examples provided by Envato all skipped around what has been one of the most common questions for a long time on the forums.

Please note that “integrated” for the purpose of this question means taking the plugin, and actually integrating it into the core of a theme, not just having it appear as a separate item in the theme bundle – which per the Usage Examples, is clearly prohibited:

The following usages are always prohibited, regardless of license: 1. Buying items to distribute on their own or within a bundle.

Integration may or may not include substantial modification of the plugin abilities, styles, etc.

Thank you in advance for your timely response.

10 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
appelton says

Lance could you please take a look at this topic ? Or anyone that knows how things go with extended licence ? http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/codecanyon-item-embedded-in-themeforest-theme-/66295

by
by
by
by
by
by