• Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
LanceSnider says

This thread is in reference to this article.

To be able to keep track of your comments and answer everyone’s questions, we’d like to keep the entire discussion for Part 1 all in one place.

If you have questions or comments on Part 2, please post them here. These are 2 very different things and we’ve discovered that when not discussed separately, it gets very confusing. :)

2821 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

I’m loving the new “Limited Repurposing”

6767 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
doru says

if an author contacted another author and asked him if he can convert a html theme to wordpress and they would arrive at some agreement, the first author would had created and uploaded the item and start selling, maybe paying something to the original author of the theme. Now it is also mandatory for the first author to purchase an extended license.

This makes sense because the contract that the author signed when they created an exclusive account on envato, states that only envato can sell a license on behalf of the author. Giving the html template to another author to create that wordpress theme was obviously breaking the contract between the author and envato.

Said that, is sad that envato come up first with this implementation that adds revenue to envato ( a cut for that extended license that was not necessary before ) but they still ignore the request of authors to create some sort of collaboration tool for sharing revenues for items that had been made by two or more authors.

Another thing that I find ironic is that envato correctly states that authors should not, quote: ”...buy multiple items to sell as a bundle.” but at the same time they have no problem to create and sell every few months exactly the same thing creating unfair competition to authors that can’t beat “500$ value for 20$ items”.

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Thanks for the Limited Re-Purposing explanation, this is what gives basic protection against competition and out of scope implementation.

3744 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

Sorry but imho, considering the current prices of CodeCanyon, this statement makes absolutely non sense:

If I purchase an extended license of an item, can I include it in a project that I will sell?
(...)
3. When you modify the item to create a similar item, get permission from the author, and only sell on the Envato marketplaces

Who is going to give permission for such a thing, earning a ridiculous money for it?

Maybe this could work for html templates on TF for certain authors, but again, as has been said before, Envato marketplaces are really different from each others, and so, must be ruled with difference license terms and we authors should be able to manage the licensing system independently for each marketplace.

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

^ yeah, the 3rd point’s practical possibility is less for the categories having just 5x price for Extended. In such cases most probably the author may have a deal that requires more price than just purchasing Extended license. However that’s personal preference. For now atleast these wordings sounds more restrictive to the bloodshed situations like “I purchased Extended so you have no rights to stop me uploading it on same marketplace with my own wrapper” :D

2075 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
+2 more
LanceSnider says
Said that, is sad that envato come up first with this implementation that adds revenue to envato ( a cut for that extended license that was not necessary before ) but they still ignore the request of authors to create some sort of collaboration tool for sharing revenues for items that had been made by two or more authors.
Having some sort of collaboration tool is definitely something we’d love to be able to do. It’s something we looked into a while ago, but it’s even more legally complicated than it is technically difficult. :) That said, I think it’s something we should revisit.
Another thing that I find ironic is that envato correctly states that authors should not, quote: ”...buy multiple items to sell as a bundle.” but at the same time they have no problem to create and sell every few months exactly the same thing creating unfair competition to authors that can’t beat “500$ value for 20$ items”.
Yes, we do bundles, but the authors of those items get their cut of the money. If fact, authors in the bundles make a lot of money! :) What we’re trying to avoid here is having someone buy up 10 files, sell it as a bundle, and the authors not getting their cut.
Who is going to give permission for such a thing, earning a ridiculous money for it?
This is just the first step in many changes for the extended license. The next change is a reevaluation of the pricing. Some are okay, but some need a change. We’ll be doing that asap. Keep in mind too that using your file in another stock file is the fringe case. The normal case is people using it for something they’re going to sell to the end user. We need to make sure our items work for them while still protecting the author.
6767 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
doru says

I will not turn this in a bundle debate but I will want to point out that because some of authors makes some money from the envato bundles doesn’t necessary make it a good thing for the rest of the authors.

I don’t have nothing against those authors, is just business after all so if there is the possibility to make some money then no problem, but is for a precise reason why envato doesn’t allow authors to just buy some extended license and pack them together and sell them as a bundle. It may damage the marketplace.

But I’m not denying the good things that the bundles bring to the marketplace, being a powerful tool for promotion and making the customers happy.

My personal opinion is that envato should find a way of promoting the marketplace, make buyers happy and also protect the authors.

725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
TylerQuinn says

What does this mean for WordPress Plugin authors? I see there is a lot of notes on TF and GR items but not so much code related items.

People seem to think an extended license allows them to copy and paste items changing the title and then sell it and its a serious problem. There needs to be clarification in this area added to the wiki as well.

2075 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
+2 more
LanceSnider says

What does this mean for WordPress Plugin authors? I see there is a lot of notes on TF and GR items but not so much code related items. People seem to think an extended license allows them to copy and paste items changing the title and then sell it and its a serious problem. There needs to be clarification in this area added to the wiki as well.
Definitely. There was a lot of confusion about this which is exactly why we’ve added these clarifications. You can find the changes in the licenses themselves as well as in our help documentation. We actually found one place where the changes weren’t properly reflected, but we’ve fixing that today. If you find other places where better clarification is needed for these changes, do let us know and we’ll address them asap. Thanks!
by
by
by
by
by
by