1183 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

Thanks for the feedback, here’s my response to it.

The short answer is that yes, this is allowed if they purchase an extended license. The provisions are that it can only be used in one template, the buyer cannot extract and use just the audio, and that it much be used in a larger work. Meaning, you couldn’t take a music track, add lyrics and sell it again.

The thinking was that it a) gives template authors options as far as building files. For example, a TF author could buy a button graphic from GR to use in his theme. We also felt that this was good for the seller as it meant an extended license sale.

Seems like it benefits one side (the template author) to me.

By the way, if you don’t want your items sold this way, you’re welcome to opt out of the extended license.

I suspect that now that this has been clarified, many authors will, if only on principle.

Just out of curiosity, is the price or the fact that it’s allowed the bigger issue? Meaning, if it were much more expensive, would authors be happy?

The fact that it is allowed. (as far as I’m concerned).

If you look through many of the threads, most authors are not too bothered about the pricing, but the licensing is what needs to be more flexible/in-depth.

All that said, we’ve gotten a lot of feedback lately regarding licenses in general and we’re taking another look at everything, including this policy. The feedback in this thread is definitely useful. We’ve got new license terms mostly written up. Once we have a decent draft we’re going to send it out to several authors (making sure that each marketplace gets represented) to see what they think. Hopefully we’ll have a final resolution to this question soon.

Could you clarify this please? Audiojungle (music) licenses shouldn’t have much/any relation to Videohive/Themeforest licenses. There are some licenses that are probably more specific to each marketplace. I don’t think you can do a catch-all licensing system that applies to all marketplaces, but maybe I’m wrong.

481 posts Think pink.
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1000+ members
+6 more
pinkzebra says

Just out of curiosity, is the price or the fact that it’s allowed the bigger issue? Meaning, if it were much more expensive, would authors be happy?

For me it is the fact that it is allowed that is frustrating. It seems absurd that I could be competing against another Envato item that includes my music track with it.

The wonderful relationship between AJ and VH authors currently benefits both sides and a policy like this can deeply change that dynamic. VH referrals account for a large number of AJ sales. It’s one of the best marketing tools AJ authors have and I would hate to see it shift.

There are some tracks that benefit from hundreds of sales due to VH referrals. That translates to potentially more than $1000 instead of an author’s share of $75.

+12 more

It is absurd that I could be competing against another Envato item that includes my music track with it.

Corrected your typo for ya ;)

The wonderful relationship between AJ and VH authors currently benefits both sides and a policy like this can deeply change that dynamic. VH referrals account for a large number of AJ sales. It’s one of the best marketing tools AJ authors have and I would hate to see it shift.

This. I’m surprised it hasn’t been exploited more already. Then again, I probably wouldn’t even know if it had….

231 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
Boldtrax says

For me it’s the fact that it is allowed the worst. I always take the case of the worst thing to happen – have my music in a VH item that sells several hundered times (not unlikely and has already happened).

In the current scenario my part of that cake would be 75 $ plus I am in competition with my own item that also offers more value, namely a whole AE project (this only taken as an example).

So in the current situation this item is practically dead then (my audio item).

If there will be no change to this policy, the extended license for such a thing has to either be drastically raised (speaking of several hundred dollars here, kinda 10x extended) or, which would be more fair imho a steady split of that particular VH sales, so if a VH item includes a full AJ track such items should be priced with 10$ (est. number, this might be discussed) on top that is the share for the AJ artist.

Everything else is just unfair and lets one party gain the revenue of another partys work.

+12 more

The split idea that Dirk and Gari have mentioned is excellent. It’s pretty much what happens now when our items are included as a ‘regular item’ and the Videohive author promotes the track on the item description page. It helps protect the music authors. By including the split, you’d be allowing the purchaser to get all the files in one go, and the AJ author would also benefit as well as the VH author.

852 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
gbiasillo says

Yes, actually, I retract my option of having a different license for this usage. Only five sales would be needed to make up the same amount as an extended license, and you can easily sell 50-100 with a half decent link up.

Stuck_in_the_Basement
Stuck_in_the_Basement Recent Posts Threads Started
468 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+9 more
Stuck_in_the_Basement Envato team says

So hypothetically, I could become a VH author, buy the top sellers there, include them in a project of my own (bigger, better) and resell them… Heck, I could put two or three templates in my project for the price of one?!? I can only imagine the reaction of the authors…
Now I hope this helps you understand why we AJ authors are not thrilled about these terms of the extended license… especially when the price of this license is the price of a regular license for the rest of the stock music industry!

241 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
BCrutchfield Envato team says

Build in a shopping cart or checkout system that asks the buyer something like : “This VideoHive template project contains audio by one of our AudioJungle authors. Would you like to purchase this as well?” If the buyer says yes, it instantly adds a license to their order and charges them the typical AudioJungle rate and both authors can get their nut.

This could be built into the item upload page that we all fill out tons of details on already. How much extra work would it really be for someone to type in “Track Name A” and “Author A”, or throw a link to the audio item into a few data entry fields on upload?

This would likely save people a lot of time too since quite a few authors create links with referrals, or full on Photoshop banners to advertise this partnership. With my suggestion we all would largely not have to do this, and instead just type in a few additional words when we upload new items.

679 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
ZtarrZound says

Build in a shopping cart or checkout system that asks the buyer something like : “This VideoHive template project contains audio by one of our AudioJungle authors. Would you like to purchase this as well?” If the buyer says yes, it instantly adds a license to their order and charges them the typical AudioJungle rate and both authors can get their nut.

This could be built into the item upload page that we all fill out tons of details on already. How much extra work would it really be for someone to type in “Track Name A” and “Author A”, or throw a link to the audio item into a few data entry fields on upload?

This would likely save people a lot of time too since quite a few authors create links with referrals, or full on Photoshop banners to advertise this partnership. With my suggestion we all would largely not have to do this, and instead just type in a few additional words when we upload new items.
That makes way too much sense.
852 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
gbiasillo says

A shopping cart has been ‘on the list’ for a long time too…but that’s another topic! LOL

I do like the idea of simply adding a couple of extra buttons to the purchase options to include template + music. I think that might even increase sales as it’s handing the option on a plate, rather than consumers having to faff around buying the music in a separate transaction.

by
by
by
by
by
by