40 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
LockeRoberts says

Hi,

I have a few music pieces ready which I hesitate to put on AudioJungle (I’m waiting for TRAX ) because of being an exclusive author. I was wondering if it would not be a good idea to be able to set exclusivity for a particular item (not the author). I know that we are allowed to have two accounts for this purpose but I am not sure if I would like to have a separate account with only 5 non-exclusive songs… Also these songs would not show in my main account, people visiting my main account would not find it, it would not increase my sales etc…

Anyway, does anyone actually have the two accounts? How is it working for you?

83 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
GabrielCarter says

ah I was thinking about wanting two accounts, thats good news.

922 posts Go Acoustic!
    Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
jhunger says

I know this is a 2 month old thread, so I apologize for the bump but I feel it’s worth harping on a little bit :)

This past week with higher commissions on AudioJungle has been awesome, and it’s incredible that the Envato staff did this for us, because I can imagine the amount of revenue they gave up was sizable. At the same time, for me it has also brought to the forefront the stark difference between making 25% of every sale (non-exclusive) and making 50-70% (exclusive). 

Unfortunately, I can’t go exclusive for most of my existing songs for a couple of reasons:

1. I’d have to make about 2.5x the amount of sales I do now on AJ to make it worthwhile taking stuff down from other marketplaces.  This may be possible one day, but in the short term I’d take a huge monthly financial hit.

2. Even if I wanted to, I don’t know if I could be sure that I removed existing tunes from other marketplaces in order to go exclusive. I’d have to remove at least the first 20-30 songs in my portfolio on AJ (I wasn’t too careful when I was just starting out), and some of those are still revenue generators.

I could create a “JHungerExclusive” account and start posting stuff there, but my exclusive songs wouldn’t have the benefit of the reputation I’ve built over the last two years with my non-exclusive account (paws, star rating, sales numbers, higher percentage commission because of higher sales).  I know some authors have done this with success, but I don’t have the same clout as, say, Soundroll to bring other people to my new profile in great numbers.  In any case, this is an extra level of indirection that a buyer (who probably doesn’t care about whether a song is exclusive or not) would have to take.

So I’d like to add my vote to put per-item exclusivity in the feature request queue.

Seems like the majority of you authors are exclusive, so maybe it’s a moot point for you. But I think about it all the time :)

748 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
guitarjock says

I am an exclusive author, but I see your point. I think it sounds like a sound business idea that should be implemented, if anything to help authors in your situation. I don’t see as where buyers would really have a problem with it, and authors are already given the choice to sell either exclusively or not with the 2-account option. Seems like a no- brainer to me.

65 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ProWaveAudio says

I agree that per item is a much better way to go. It would be a much more flexible system for all authors. Creating two accounts (just for this function alone) adds another level of management, something I personally don’t have time for and something that could potentiality confuse loyal buyers. Your account statements/earnings could just be split into 2 categories exclusive (50-70%) and non-exclusive (25%). I think it would be a fairly easy system to implement.

88 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
LaMusique says

Exclusivity per item would be great. At the same time, 40% for exclusive stuff isn’t that great, according to another royaltee free sites.

273 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
soundroll says
LaMusique said
Exclusivity per item would be great. At the same time, 40% for exclusive stuff isn’t that great, according to another royaltee free sites.
It starts from 50% for exclusive account :)
922 posts Go Acoustic!
    Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
jhunger says
soundroll said
LaMusique said
It starts from 50% for exclusive account :)

... and it would actually be 51-52% considering you’re at the “black paw” level. Envato adjusted the rates considerably in authors’ favor (I think last year sometime).

http://wiki.envato.com/selling/getting-paid/payment-rates/

But if you wanted to go exclusive currently, your new profile would be at 50% until you made $3750. Okay, it’s only a couple of $$ difference, but that’s another argument for per item exclusivity.

474 posts Think pink.
    Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Won a competition Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has referred 500+ members
+6 more
pinkzebra says

I can sympathize with you, Jhunger. Joining AJ when you did it was harder to decide whether to be exclusive or non-exclusive. A new author joining AJ in 2011 has the advantage of looking at the new pricing and payment schemes (modified since you joined) and noticing that a top author like soundroll saw the advantages of starting up an exclusive account after his mega success with the non-exclusive one.

Why not consider opening a JhungerMusic exclusive account and encourage your customers to check that one out much like soundroll has done? Sure, it is a pain. But you also sell a ton of tracks so maybe it’s worth it all the extra work?

922 posts Go Acoustic!
+5 more
jhunger says
pinkzebra said
I can sympathize with you, Jhunger. Joining AJ when you did it was harder to decide whether to be exclusive or non-exclusive. A new author joining AJ in 2011 has the advantage of looking at the new pricing and payment schemes (modified since you joined) and noticing that a top author like soundroll saw the advantages of starting up an exclusive account after his mega success with the non-exclusive one. Why not consider opening a JhungerMusic exclusive account and encourage your customers to check that one out much like soundroll has done? Sure, it is a pain. But you also sell a ton of tracks so maybe it’s worth it all the extra work?

Thanks, PinkZebra! Yeah, I’ll probably eventually do that :).

by
by
by
by
by
by