43 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CobaltLeaf says

I’ve noticed something quite funny/interesting on the envato network and especially on AudioJungle. There are quite a lot of authors that fly the “European” flag (they use the EU flag even though not all countries in Europe are in the EU) here and I find that quite interesting. Having have lived in Europe I understand that travelling/migrating between European countries is not uncommon and I can imagine that for example, a person of Italian descent living in France may consider both countries their home country and would choose “Europe” as their country. I can imagine someone of mixed ancestry would do the same.

Thing is, I suspect this is only a certain percentage of authors fit in the two categories I mentioned above. I often check and see where “European” authors are from (by checking the flag counter) and more often than not they’re not from actual EU states.

My question now, why do people do this? Is it because they think perhaps they may get more freelance work if they are affiliated with Europe rather than a land more “far away” (a Chinese friend of mine claimed he hid where his company was based to get more clients)? Are people less nationalistic in non-eu states (an Estonian friend of mine explained something along the lines due to being former USSR and national identity… I didn’t understand it all)?

I’m not bringing this up to offend or to call anyone out. I mean theoretically my account needs to carry various different flags as my artists are of different backgrounds, I only picked the US as that is where I met them all and is where my business is based…

I find sociology/psychology/culture interesting and just want to know…

180 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+2 more
Pianojungle says

I’m curious too. Maybe some of them come from regions wich are not feeling nationalistic. For example: belgium is split in 2 parts: flanders and wallonia and a lot of people in flanders don’t feel Belgian but Flemish. The same in spain where some people want catalonia as an indipendent country.

261 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Ukraine
+3 more
khursey says

Maybe someone is ashamed that he’s living in UKRAINE (like me LOL) and changes his “flag” to EU :)

274 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+4 more
JumaStudios says

I’ve been living and working in Dubai, Bangkok, France, now I am based in Germany where my wife was born ( herself has Croatian origins) and I am born and raised in Romania. I use the German flag here since this is the country in which I live now. It is the country where I can easier get involved in any artistic (or commercial) work if needed. Judging by all of this, probably I might have to put a simple earth globe instead of any other flag :)

Regardless, I think a potential buyer doesn’t quite put any thought about the country in which the author is based in. Quality of the track will have the last word. AJ’s commercial (corporate) tracks don’t have so much ethnic flavors inside but I really love it when I stumble upon an author and see certain patterns in their music, coming from their cultures.

I did lots of research on world ethnic music and in all the places I’ve been to, I studied the local music and came home with at least one traditional instrument. Not only that I discovered amazing treasures but you get to know soooo much about the people themselves. Their way of life mirrors so good into the music. I would definitely want to see as many flags as possible rather then the European one. I would use that one only if I would be a label which uses the work of artists from various countries. In the end, not neccesarelly the flag as a symbol of belonging to a ’’group’’ matters, but the beautiful influences you bring with your work, inspired by the corner of the planet you live in.

724 posts
  • Located in Poland
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
FxProSound says

Some people think that their country flag make buyers less confident (more piracy, hacking etc.). I live near 3 borders point so I don’t know which to chose :)

711 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
PaBlikMM says

Well i´m from Czech Republic and its a part of European Union so i picked that flag :)

How much of people know where is Czech republic? :) And don´t tell me that everybody knows :D I also dont know all states of USA :) Every country have their specifics – unfortunatelly Czech Republic is well known for Good Beer, Nice Girls and Pickpocketing :D

Keep on rocking and create some great music – no matter under what flag :)

CHA! :)

666 posts Allegro120 Composer
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+5 more
Allegro120 says

I think that there should no be flags. The world would be better.

...John Lennon?

966 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+1 more
Kurlykovs says

Well i Picked a USA flag because i currently live here and i am a citizen of this country but if i move out to another country i will pick a flag of that country i guess. And speaking of your ( an Estonian friend of mine explained something along the lines due to being former USSR and national identity… I didn’t understand it all)? It will be hard for you to understand but there is a Trend that goes on in Baltic countries and Ukraine to hate Russia trying to be more western and pretend they never been a part of USSR and pretend that Russia was always evil to them and they destroy the statues/monuments for the Soviet soldiers that freed their country from Hitler. So bottom line they are being brainwashed by their government and they go for it like buncha sheep. ( they even prohibited a Russian language). And the sad part is that those who are ashamed where they are from like A guy mentioned above about Ukraine – he is wrong for doing so imo. And another sad part for those who try to Part them selves from so called USSR they have to realize that USA and Russia are probably the top buyers on this site.

235 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
backgroundmusic says

Greetings from Serbia :-) . Well, Serbia is not part of the European Union. We are small country in South-East part of Europe. I do not think that customers are buying here based on flags. My cuntry is probably unknown to most of you, ok maybe you are familiar with Nikola Telsa and Novak Djokovic, but here at Envato are Serbian authors whose works are best selling, so I do not think that the fact that they are from a relatively unknown countrie, make the things much difficult. People here are buying someone`s work, not flag, or at least I think so.

2182 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

I’ve noticed the same trend some time ago among some authors here and there.

Just like backgroundmusic, I live in Serbia. It is an European country, but not a part of EU. Therefore I’ve put Serbian flag since the very first day I joined AudioJungle. I can’t say if my sales would’ve been better (or worse) if I chose the EU flag, but then, nobody can really know that as it can’t really be measured :)

by
by
by
by
by
by