484 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
omarabid says

I would like first to thank all the people who took some minutes of their time to write about it. The stories are really inspiring and gives me a new strength to start again.

Long story made short, I’m an amateur developer that failed building the smallest application/script for 4 or 5 years. (I’m 19 though). The succession of failure gave me an impact that I’ll never succeed, I’ll never build something of value… that anything I do is crap, anything I build is stupid and useless.

It’s only lately that I bought a new laptop, decided to forget the past and start from 0. Nettuts were a great resource, but they don’t learn you things, they just makes you professional. I read a lot about JavaScript, printed the jQuery ebook and started reading.

I then putted a plan. The project was tQuery, a script that makes tables dynamic. I started small and the code grew in size. At some points when the code exceeded 500 lines, I was going to give up… it become a mess, bugs everywhere, pagination don’t match, sorting stopped working… I was about to give up.

But my will to continue was strong, and for the first time in my life, I forced myself to go through the bugs, rewrite some code, clean up some parts, return to the old version and check how it worked. It was painful, but I bear it, I kept telling myself ‘I always give up, I gave 100 projects, I never finished something, I never done the smallest , simplest thing ever, comon omar, let’s do it, only a step forward, we’ll finish, write the doc, submit to code canyon, get accepted and start selling.

I didn’t finish the product 100, but only %90 a couple of features are missing, some bugs are around and I’m aware of them. I made an early version to enter the competition. When I submit it, my odds to get accepted were only 5 , I was excepting to get rejected and the reviewer to tell me “your work is crap”.

I have never succeeded building something, my father has some credit to that. He always tells me that my work is crap, either it’s online or offline, he always yell at me, I dunno why.. sad.. but I never believed that I can build something useful, something that it’s not crap and people are happy using it. you can’t know my father effect on me, it has almost destroyed me.

When I checked emails through mobile, I read the title ‘Your item needs revision’, I thought I got rejected, I was sad, but I was expecting it. When I opened it, it was a soft reject, the reviewer just told me to make the uncompressed version available. Again, I added the commented version and submit it. The product was live, 24 hours = 5 purchases = $12 in my balance. I was really excited with the sales.

Even though, you may think I’m happy, I really wasn’t, when the item was published, I didn’t think it’s going to sell. I think that the reviewer was stupid and accepted my item. When it got sold, I really didn’t know who did buy it and why they did so. When I got a comment from someone that my script is ‘nice’, I don’t know if he’s serious or just commenting.

Until now I still believe my script is crap and it won’t sell. Right now I’m fixing the bugs and writing tutorials on how to use it and working on some new features and boosting performance.

You can’t know how much painful my life is, how much “destroyed” I AM . It’s all because of my family, that I decided to leave and live somewhere else as soon as I make a living with Envato.

You don’t how much pain I have, how much difficulties… but believe me it’s going to be BIG and I’ll succeed this time :D

ohhhh, first time revealing few things about my real life, but to the hell, whoever knows….

296 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
theninja says

Great stories guys, inspirational! They make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, haha… Okay, prepare yourself for another life story!

Funnily enough I started getting interested in web development through Firefox extensions when I was 15 or so (I’m now approaching 20), from there I went on to html/css and javascript and have since stemmed out into flash/as, php, java and pretty much any other programming language I’ve stumbled upon and have wanted to learn.

Anyway, I came across flashden sometime in 2008 and decided to become a member, I lurked in the shadows for a good 2 years and built a ton of different websites and components as a hobby. In fact they take up a good couple of GB of my hard disk space, but I never found the motivation to either finish, document or upload them! That is until recently, 2 days ago I submitted something for the codecanyon competition (still in the queue).

I think it may be a tad late for me to join in on the activeden “scene”, which has grown to gargantuan proportions since I first joined, but I do hope to become a successful, active part of the codecanyon marketplace… maybe even one day becoming a reviewer *hint *hint (I have a good 4 years of web development behind me, lol).

So now I’m 100% motivated and I’m trying to save up for a new drumkit, hehe, to start a rock band \m/... but seriously, I’m loving the whole community spirit here, I may just have to spend more time hanging around the forums and boring the pants off everyone!

Woah!! Is that the time !!?? I better be off… I’ll see you guys later!

Short version : Envato=GREAT

569 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
Bebel says

after reading all those testimonials I just have to tell my (little) envato-storie

As a full time college student I don’t have time to work on a regular job to make some money on the side. Along came envato and in july 2009 I created my account on GraphicRiver. I learned about this great site from a friend of mine who used to sell some stuff as well.

By now I make some good cash for a young fellow like me. Envato already “paid” me and my gf a trip to London over new years eve and some looong nights in my favourite pub. They are already working hard to give me that iPad lol

Over the last months I became a far better designer and actually got some design jobs trough people who bought my files.

The future? I teamed up with a friend – we want to create a few 20$ templates so we don’t have to study anymore :-D okay not exactly, but we hope to make the most out of the opporturnity envato gives us!

cheers

1431 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

Hi, I am kailoon.

A little about me before the journey. I study Multimedia Technology for my degree major and graduated in year 2006 The 3 years university life gave me nothing but a lovely girl friend. Learning nothing but theory from the courses. Lectures can’t even write a simple line of functions.

In year 2006, I started my career as a graphic designer in a corporate company. My tasks are: designing name cards, brochures, flyers, product video productions, IT supports, fixing my boss’s laptop etc etc.

In year 2007, I started my personal blog – kailoon.com. I know nothing about CSS , WordPress or even web design. Just install WordPress and have a 1 hour lesson by my cousin. Then play around with CSS and WordPress. Manage to create my first ever theme in 1 week. Launch! :D In the middle of developing the blog, I find that its interesting to design using Photoshop, so, I decided to learn Photoshop, then published a few tutorials. It made me feel good, because I think those tutorials can help others who like designing too.

One day, I found N-design studio by nick la. Its like .. WOW ! It’s amazing! And that’s the main inspirations and motivation for me to learn illustration. I think, why not? Since I like drawing too. It change the way I see web design. So, I draw a little guy put it on my blog ( Now I am selling this vector on GraphicRiver since I am not using it anymore ).

Almost the same year, PSDTUTs launch ( not sure I remember the date right ). Its quite different with other tutorials site at that time. Its simple, direct and I am not sure why, it is attractive. I manage to encourage me to keep checking their updates from time to time.

Oh ya, Collis stop by my site and commented on my tutorial. That really made my day. There is another funny story too, I forgot when it happen. One day, I try to create a community feed function in WordPress and just about to launch it on my site. I saw the tutorial by Collis published on NETTUTs. It is using the same method. LOL . What a coincident.

In year 2008, I release a few free WordPress themes and via a site call themetation.com. I was thinking to setup a theme club. But when I was developing the site, Collis send me an email and ask me to submit 2 WordPress themes and 1 Joomla template for the launch of ThemeForest… So, I stop my own project and take the job. After ThemeForest launch, the income generated from there made me think twice before I continue on my own theme club. So, I put it on hold and see how things going. After weeks, TF are looking for reviewers, so, I just apply and I get the position. Thanks to Collis and Jefferey. Mark also helped my a lot when I just started as a reviewer.

In the same time, I was handling all the small graphics design for the tuts site and marketplaces. It is an awesome experience to work with so many talented people ( site managers, tuts editor, freelance switch editors, and marketplaces reviewers. )

In year 2009, GraphicRiver launched and I apply for the reviewer position for vector category.

So, Now I am reviewer for WordPress, PSD template and vector category in GR.

Start from year 2007, I did work for 2 day time jobs as a web designer and user experience designer. I still prefer to work in a team instead of working at home, alone. But, both companies did not provide the good working environment I want and the culture there is just sxxk. Maybe I already work for an awesome company – Envato and I might take it as comparison :P

So I quit those jobs and start full time freelancing while being part of the great company in the world. Besides, I think I need to reserved time for family too :)

I just setup my own company last month, try to make it more official and professional.

I really want to take this opportunity to say THANK YOU to Collis and Cyan, they help me a lot in my career. I considered myself a little lucky. And not forgotten, thank you to all the Envato staff, they are simply brilliant.

I think thats pretty much of it. Great post, and great sharing.

4140 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says
A little about me before the journey. I study Multimedia Technology for my degree major and graduated in year 2006 The 3 years university life gave me nothing but a lovely girl friend.

That is the best part of your story Imo :P

1431 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says
A little about me before the journey. I study Multimedia Technology for my degree major and graduated in year 2006 The 3 years university life gave me nothing but a lovely girl friend.

Haha, ya. and the best part is, she is still with me now :)

4140 posts
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says
Haha, ya. and the best part is, she is still with me now :)

Remind me my self and the funny thing is from all the hot girls out there pick a hot Australian girl go figure :P

1619 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
PatrikL Envato team says

Hi I´m PatrikL,

I´m possitive that I´ve told my story before, but I can´t remember where and when :P But I don´t mind telling it again. So here it goes :)

I started playing around in Photoshop a number of years ago, nearly 9 years now I think. It all started with a friend of mine who got Photoshop as a b-day gift from his old man, and he let me try it out. To make a long story short – I got hooked that very instant. I loved it from the very beginning and now I wouldn´t trade it for anything. :)

Back in 2003 I started my own company, but a year later I had to close it down. Not because of I didn´t have any clients, (I had more than enough) but I got a full-time job so I lost very important hours to keep up with all design jobs I had. So it ended up that I took a 4 weeks vacation from my full-time job, and finished all my clients before I closed it down. This gave me great experience in both design and how to run a company.

Back in 2006 I got a writing gig for a Swedish magazine, started just for fun and I didn´t get very much money for it. But when I got better and dedicated more time in writing I got more pay and I got published over and over again. Which was a great feeling at the time. So I expanded my horizons and started to write in english on my spare time, this way I practiced the language that got me to where I am today. Even though I got an “A” in english back in school, I were far from perfect. (still am, but learning more each day) And now I run my own site (becreativemagazine.com), write some smaller articles for different sites, even written a tut for the GraphicRiver blog a while back. (check it out via my profile)

I found psdtuts.com a few years back by a coincidence, but I ended up becoming a subscriber, plus member and a constant reader in no time. And belive it or not, but I didn´t acctually sign up for ThemeForest until last year, so I´ve acctually only been a member of this awesome community for a little over a year. Submitted a few templates that got rejected, but I kept trying and I got my first PSD theme approved and then I found, GraphicRiver. And now I work for, Envato as a reviewer on, GraphicRiver. And to be completely honest, it´s dream come true for me. Working from home, doing what I love to do, give fellow authors/designers support and feedback is just an awesome feeling.

So I have to say thanks to, Collis, Cyan, Amanda and the entire Envato community for giving me this opportunity to work from home with what I love doing. Thank you, Envato!

My goals for now is to earn and save enough money to move away from Sweden. I´m aiming to within a year I have moved either to the US or Australia. It´s always been a dream of mine to live in these two countries. And who knows, maybe I end up living in both of them :)

Ooh, and I´ve just started to design some Tumblr themes. So hopefully, you can all see them either on, ThemeForest, Tumblr or my own site in a near future.

Love the thread, and love the stories published. Keep ém coming :)

226 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in New Zealand
Idil-Ciise says

Here is my story. It’s not so inspiring.

Well after finishing college I had no ideas what to do with my life. I’ve never had a job before. I got married in 2005 and had a baby in 2006, I thought this can’t be the end. Just stay at home mum, I was so bored. So by the end of 2007 I used spend a lot of time on the computer. I mainly hung out on DeviantArt, I liked photography but I wasn’t great at it to purse it as a career.

So one day, I went to the web and interfaces section on DA and fell in love with the templates people were uploading. I thought maybe I could do something like that! so I downloaded Photoshop 7 and gave it a go and was addicted!

I would upload my designs on DA and people would leave comments and add my stuff to their favourites, that encouraged me further. But soon after I was sick of just creating these “images” in Photoshop, I wanted to code them and make them into working live sites. I thought that would take me forever!

Luckily I came across W3schools and learnt xHTML and CSS fairly quickly.

By mid of 2008 I discovered FlashDen, I would just browse since I didn’t know anything about Flash. Then one day Envato announced the launch of Themeforest and I was so excited! Sadly I never did upload anything till this day because I am really afraid my templates will be rejected.

I do however have some stuff over on Graphic River.

So that’s my story.

2541 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says
By mid of 2008 I discovered FlashDen, I would just browse since I didn’t know anything about Flash. Then one day Envato announced the launch of Themeforest and I was so excited! Sadly I never did upload anything till this day because I am really afraid my templates will be rejected.

I do however have some stuff over on Graphic River.

So that’s my story.

Nice story, glad you’re with us :)

You should submit your items to ThemeForest though if that is something that has interested you. Sure, you might get rejected but it will help you grow your skills greatly! I’ve been rejected more times than I can count (my girlfriend can vouch for this), no biggy ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by