• Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says
Coming from where i’m from (link) it requires a lot of hard work to make ends meet as a freelancer. Being in a small and densely populated city meant soaring living expenses.

I found themeforest at a stressful time with loads of work. I signed up for themeforest and after uploading the first theme I remember checking if the theme got approved every now and then. The first approval note, the first sale and the first months income. It was all real.

I have a daughter Michelle, son Mikael and wife Liea who has been extremely supportive to get the time here from the start. Since the first sale my income has steadily increased – it’s like a package of goodness , where i get to be home with my family, work and earn at the same time.

To Collis and Cyan- Thank you from me and my family.

Thank you Envato!

Great story. By the way, I am dying to go to the Maldives! My dream vacation!!! You live there, I’m very jealous!

4268 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Community Moderator
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Venezuela
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+9 more
Ivor Reviewer says
Coming from where i’m from (link)

Your city is like Aruba, doesn’t it? very inspiring your story. :)

3868 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
+4 more
flashjunkie says

Great stories everyone, keep em coming! :)

320 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Romania
DoYaSeeMe says

I was so angry when i first browsed this site!

I spent a lot of years creating flash for the fun of it and for a lousy salary of 3 figures per month, thinking that it’s too much trouble to become a freelancer. The wake-up call came when the company i was working for got caught really unprepared by the economy crisis. I started to ask around, looking for work to be able to survive and then a friend said” Dude, why don’t you use Flashden ?!?”.

First time here, i browsed through the files, top sales, top authors (a lot of them from my country) and i got really angry at myself for not even knowing such a marketplace exists. So i signed at the end of july and loaded some preloaders to test the waters (that’s when i met FJ’s “merciless” rejections, haha).

Since then i felt like skyrocketing, with more than 100 sales per month, 2 files among the featured ones and one very popular. With all the sales and the extra work that came through this forum, i can say that it was a great start for me as a freelancer and i’m proud to be a member of this community.

My plans are to stick around and up my game, join the template league and also two more envato marketplaces and eventually chase DS :D .

1238 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Forum Superstar
graphic4444 says

I spent a lot of years creating flash for the fun of it and for a lousy salary of 3 figures per month, thinking that it’s too much trouble to become a freelancer. The wake-up call came when the company i was working for got caught really unprepared by the economy crisis. I started to ask around, looking for work to be able to survive and then a friend said” Dude, why don’t you use Flashden ?!?”.

First time here, i browsed through the files, top sales, top authors (a lot of them from my country) and i got really angry at myself for not even knowing such a marketplace exists. So i signed at the end of july and loaded some preloaders to test the waters (that’s when i met FJ’s “merciless” rejections, haha).

Since then i felt like skyrocketing, with more than 100 sales per month, 2 files among the featured ones and one very popular. With all the sales and the extra work that came through this forum, i can say that it was a great start for me as a freelancer and i’m proud to be a member of this community.

My plans are to stick around and up my game, join the template league and also two more envato marketplaces and eventually chase DS :D .

+1 it’s great to hear successes like this – congrats and best wishes to all, this is a super marketplace

3135 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
Daniel_R says

Your work and story are awesome! Congrats!

4361 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says
Nonetheless my files have made me a good $14,000 – of course I spend it all on other authors files, particularly when we have a new category as it’s always good to inject cash in :-)

That’s awesome Collis… but erm what about your other account… you know, the BIG one? :) how many Lambo’s do you have now? :D

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Waring: Long post ahead! ;-) Skip to the end for a shorter summary.

My long journey to joining Envato is a bit strange but too long so I’ll summarize as best as possible. I went to school for Electronics Engineering (math and electronics nerd). I was not creative in any way (math nerd). I wrecked my motorcycle, moved home, worked for my cousin developing his business website and managing the electronics (xbox/PC hourly gaming shop).

Once I could walk, I applied for the first job I found which was a graphic designer at a newspaper. With no experience, I convinced them to give me the job. I moved closer to my girlfriend a year later and really hated newspapers by that time (with a passion). Was offered a job to develop a friend’s business website and quit the newspaper job the next day (they knew it was coming and the company deserved it). Economy went bust and was out of a job. With $1500 in the bank and no job, I said screw it and went after full time freelancing with no clients or portfolio.

I found Theme Forest, uploaded a couple test templates, they were rejected, I fixed them, resubmitted, rejected, resubmitted…........ approved! lol (Thanks Mark!) While freelancing, I couldn’t get any clients because I lived in a tiny little po-dunk town where people didn’t care and I thought I couldn’t compete with people on the web. I saw Theme Forest as my only option (or going back to a crappy day job). I argued on the forums for awhile about TF commissions which I’m sure annoyed Mark and Jeffrey. The commissions were increased not too long after that (was prob. already in the process).

I wrote a tutorial for nettuts and worked on more templates. A reviewing position opened up and I frantically emailed Jeffrey, asking for the position. I managed to convince him to hire me. I spent the next month reading every tutorial and book I could get my hands on because I was scared I wouldn’t know enough for the job (my usual routine). A month or so after I convinced Jeffrey to hire me, I actually started (perfect timing, lol). My templates at this point started bringing in quite a few freelance projects for me. Life was good. :-D

Then I started writing tutorials and articles for the Theme Forest blog and Nettuts (intermittently). I never thought of myself as being a capable writer but I kept writing when I actually had ideas I thought were good and Jeffrey actually kept accepting them, lol. I’ve been reviewing for about 10 months now and have written over 30 pieces for Theme Forest, Nettuts and now web.appstorm.com and hopefully soon mac.appstorm.com.

I haven’t added much to my TF portfolio lately either because I still get so many projects just from what I have right now and due to projects I do for free for non-profits, friends and family.

- -

So, I went from non-creative engineer incapable of writing–to full time freelancer, Theme Forest reviewer, writer and professional Envato addict. The money I’ve earned from Envato also paid for my girlfriend and I to move from Moscow, Idaho (10K local population) to Las Vegas, Nevada (party central, huge city).

I knew when I joined Theme Forest that I had the opportunity to get in on something great in the happening. I’ve tried to convince countless friends and family to do the same and they all ignored me. Now they’re all telling me how lucky I am because I “work” at home making a living doing stuff I only used to do as a hobby and when goofing around.

I love Envato and love the work I get to do for them! :-D

2952 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

@Jarel : Awesome story , really inspiring. It feel soooo good to know you got rejected ! Haha just joking :)

482 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Europe
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
+3 more
IncredibleWand says

Hy everyone,

My name is Chiritescu Stefan, i’m from Romania (you can call me Steve) and i’m new in this family. I joined in July 2009 by curiosity and now i simply love it. I didn’t sale to much till now but i think i’m on the right track :D .But the thing that realy makes me stay is that i’ve meeted a lot of people with wonderful work from whom i have a lot to learn. Now i simply love this community.

Thank you for your votes on the icon set competition :D and hope i will get the same support from you with my upcoming work. Thank you for every comment that you posted on my profile, even if it’s a positive comment or it’s a critique i am glad for all the support. Belive it or not they realy make me do a better job.

So thank you very much for everything :P !

Have a nice day.

by
by
by
by
by
by