• Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
+4 more
flashjunkie says

Hey guys,

I thought it would be a cool idea for us all to post our experiences with Envato Marketplaces here, how Envato has changed your life, enabled you to buy your first car, or just given you enough money to buy that iPod you always wanted.

I think more authors will be attracted if they can read the great experiences people are having here.

I’ll start…

I came here in April 07 just 3 months after starting to learn flash, i came here to buy a gallery for a friends website and i stuck around, i quickly realised there was money to be made so in October 07 i uploaded my first file, by december i was pulling in over $400 a month with very little work.

My skills have since improved greatly and since i started uploading i have earned over $7500 and as a reviewer i have earned much more, meaning in Jan 09, i quit my fulltime job and i haven’t looked back.

I would reccommend Envato Marketplaces to anyone with a creative touch, whether you are looking for a few extra bucks to take your partner to dinner or if you are wanting to make life changing sums of money.

:)

4335 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+6 more
Reaper-Media Volunteer moderator says

I signed up in september 2008 after finding this site during my work experience breaks in year 10. I fell in love with the site immediately, i remember going through all the image galleries exclaming how amazing they were. I never thought that i would be able to create flash items as good as the ones i saw back then, but over the past year and a bit my skills have improved a lot.

As i am currently still in school / college, i barely have any free time, so i generally spend the time less productively, posting on the marketplace forums and browsing the web etc. You can probably tell by the 2000+ posts that i spend a lot of time on the site. I hope to create more files of ever increasing quality until about june 2011 where there is bound to be a rush of files from then on throughout my gap year to try and increasy my stock portfolio.

Envato has been more of a hobby to me than work, although I hope to change that in the near future, where I would love to make a living from the marketplaces and hopefully never have to be employed. :)

2715 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+3 more
DanielKeller says

I liked that part a lot, I would be glad if I can say that someday :)

“I signed up in september 2008 after finding this site during my work experience breaks in year 10. I fell in love with the site immediately, i remember going through all the image galleries exclaming how amazing they were. I never thought that i would be able to create flash items as good as the ones i saw back then, but over the past year and a bit my skills have improved a lot.”

awesome stories guys, this thread is gonna be interesting

when I’m already here I say also something….

I signed up around january 2007 (the flashden only time) with the nickname “iDraw”, I also fell in love with this addicted feeling to make some money :D I made some songs, uploaded them, and watched what happens… I made 1000 posts in no time and was also very well known in the community as a guy that posts a lot.. I started buying flash templates and watched how they made them….... I made my first smiley pack for flashden and was kinda happy with it…like over 10 comments on it…

I stopped with learning flash, deleted the account and made a very big break….. and in February 2009 I created a new account, this one… danielku…. I uploaded only 2 audio tracks cause I’m really busy, but now I’m back again and want to learn some flash and AS3

if I had the old account till today I maybe had like 5000 posts :D

it’s the best community for me, mostly everyone here helps everyone

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

When I first found ActiveDen I was psyched that I could find certain Flash files that I wasn’t quite yet capable of making on my own. I learned a lot just by working with those files and decided to try selling some on my own after I had become more experienced.

The extra cash is great but developing files for ActiveDen allows me to create things I never would as a freelancer for small business websites.

And the community here is just awesome. The forums allow me to take a mental break from what I’m doing and either learn a new AS trick or just have a good laugh :)

3671 posts Community Moderator
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

I first discovered FlashDen (Yes, back in the good old times it was still called FlashDen) back in December 2008, nearly a year ago. I had just learned / was learning some basics of Flash in Computer Science class, and was googling for some helpfull information. I’m not 100% sure, but I think that’s when I stumbled upon a banner about FlashDen. I looked around for a bit, and figured there was money to be made.

Being the naive schoolkid I was (and still am, for the most part) I uploaded a preloader I so proudly created to aid me in my Mastermind game I had to create as a school project. I innitially wanted to sell my games (Mastermind was the 3rd project we had to do, after Tic Tac Toe and Towers of Hanoi), but came across an issue: the variables and objects had to be in English, the code had to be commented and the file had to be documented. This was enough of a barrier for me to only upload the preloader, which was only very little work to document. I noticed how there were so many preloaders on FlashDen, so I figured they could do with another one.

Sadly, it was rejected. Looking back on it, it was silly of me to think it would get through. Either way, it resulted on me not clicking my FlashDen bookmark for a long time, until..

Several months later, in May ‘09, during a 2 week holiday, I decided I had plenty of time on my hands and needed something usefull to do. I started off early one morning and translated all the objects and variable names of my 3 games (That’s practically all I had done in Flash until then) to English. Over the next few days I commented my walls of code, and added txt files with documentation. I had learned my lesson, these files would not be rejected like my preloader!

In May, June and July I merely sold anything. I came up with a few more files along these months, but nothing too spectacular. My sales were stuck at around $30 a month, but as I’m a poor schoolboy, that was quite a profit. I kept on nagging my relatives about how I had another sale, proudly stating I now had 12 – a few days later even 13! (this data contains estimates)

Over the summer I didn’t pay much attention to FlashDen – it wasn’t making quite as much as I hoped it would. The last few files I had uploaded didn’t sell too well. I couldn’t come up with anything creative. Just before the holidays we had started learning PHP in class. I took a break and focussed on PHP (I build my dad’s dance group a nice and shiny forum!).

Halfway into August, I had a stroke of inspiration again, and I produced a few files. Motivated by a few sales of my Thimblerig game, I decided to churn out a few over the last weeks of my holiday. I noticed my call was really in games, so I quickly learned how to use XML in combination with Flash, (I had used XML before, when implementing ajax on a news feed on a website) made an XML Quiz as well as a Higher/Lower game. Also, I created an XML banner rotator.(let he who is without sin cast the first stone), as I noticed these were selling quite good.

My sales went through the roof (on my book, that is). August made twice as much as June, even though sales only started rolling in halfway into the month. September made three times as much as August, making me hit around $180 in a month.

School started on September 1st, so I had less time to mindlessly stare at the screen to come up with a new idea – I simply finished my rotator and went on with my homework.

Nearing the end up September, I decided I could push out another file in between the scenes (a blackjack game, yes: again a game).

The way it’s going at the moment, October is going to end up very close to September’s highscore (not breaking it spectacularly, but oh well) although I havn’t uploaded anything this month. Something I did do, though, was my first paid freelance work. I customized my XML Quiz for two clients, earning me a nice $120 extra!

Currently, I’m not working on anything Flash-wise (still got a PHP project for school lying around, and a programming competition for schoolkids I’ve spend the last weekend on).

Autumn break just started, so I’ll try to find something Flash-related to create, so that I’ll be warm for the winter when it’s making me a few bucks.

Oh yeah.. I’ve still to withdraw my first earnings – I’ve decided to wait until I make $500, so that I can get it transfered to my bank account. Should be somewhere this month, though! :D

1161 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
FlashTang says

I konw flashDen since May 09, through a post of Actionscript community,regret not having got to know envato sooner
I just wanna say thank you envato thank you ActiveDen.
PS.sorry for my poor English
Stay here,I can learn English learn Flash and also earn money,how nice :D

4140 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
tsafi says

More here for the great community, developing App for AD require time that i don’t have and i have a good job and doing great for my self. I encounter people from all over the world from sound to flash /Photoshop developer, from Ozz land pass in the UK and Canada , the amount of talent here is amazing and there is no other place like this over the web/world .

The forum is my break time reading new stuff and try to trash Msfx in any opportunity i get and continuing my day, so thanks AD for that and thanks to Msfx for letting me trash him…….

But I will ignore Duro for now :p

2113 posts
  • Exclusive Author
fifty_tons says

I signed up and here I am. The end :D

2952 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

Your story is really inspiring. :) Never tought of becoming a writer ? :)

2113 posts
  • Exclusive Author
fifty_tons says
Your story is really inspiring. :) Never tought of becoming a writer ? :)

No, but I’ll definitely consider that :D.

by
by
by
by
by
by