106 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
pjtops says

Well its simple: If i have a shop and i recently buy items from farmers. And i know that XY in the last year brought to the shop 100 bottle of quality wines and there was only 5% with minor quality issues i would spend more times to check those farmer’s products who just started the business with me. This is not personal, or corruption it’s simply effectiveness. And this does not means i would not check XY’s products anymore. But i would definitely spend more time for new supplier’s items. Does it sounds illogic?

I agree with you, but the thing is, what you describe is already happening. You can follow your favourite authors and get notified every time they produce a new item. There is a list of top authors, and top selling files, which is infact the first item on the main menu under “all files”. There are also big “elite author” or “featured item” badges next to items from the top/good sellers, and don’t forget the higher commision rates. All these are good things, and should always stay. But I think favouring NEW items just based on who submitted them would be a mistake. Competition is good, and an even playing field enables that.

1373 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
dekurvajo says

You agree with me, but dont understand the point. Follow authors does not means anything in this circumstance. Let say you are uploading your 10th great jQuery Plugin after a year, after 1000 sales and well satisfied buyers. The chance for that your 11th plugins is a crap more than likely less than if im uploading my first item over there. Means for my item review needs more attention, more caution. By time if i also deliver here good items, i will become a trusted author as well, they can also reduce some strict steps regarding my items, but focus more on the newbies. But if you abuse with your rank, and start to upload craps negative feedbacks would pull you back again into the slow lane.

106 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
pjtops says

Part of staying on top means regularly releasing items, so if you stay away for a whole year, you have already slipped, and shouldn’t expect things to be the way the were a year ago, because new upcoming authors will have taken your spot. that’s life, and it happens everywhere.

I agree with you that top/good authors should be recognized and rewarded, we just don’t agree as to how far those rewards should go. And that’s ok, we don’t have to agree on everything. :)

1373 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
dekurvajo says

But im not talking about promotion or highlight position on the items. All the items on the market should have an equal chance thats no question at all. Im talking about as we talking here the approval system. Let to be honest with ourself. Envato wanted more items on the market because he wanted more income. Nothing bad with that thats life. But in the same time they can not handle the incoming quantity/quality balance. Now whats happening? Because of the lots of low quality items grown on their head, some of those are already passed trough (even we try to denies this fact) they try to keep handle the situation with the same logic just in bigger size which is already has been proved its simply not sustainable. Same mistake like any other enterprise when they think double the capacity is still a solution instead work out and change to a more logical system.

If you have a truck, and you increase the weight of the freight all the time, and you buy another trucks, then an another thats ok for a while. But there is a point when you might think about to use a ship or train, because its more effective. Thats called logistic, the previous called rally. Just i know most of the companies, societies afraid to change a paradigm after a while even its shows itself does not works anymore. Thats also life, you can see that happens everywhere.

2228 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
Creattive says

this thread should be renamed to: who can come up with the best metaphor?

Doctors and nurses, shop with wine from farmers, trucks vs ships, broken jars…

by
by
by
by
by
by