2025 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+8 more
revaxarts says

you have to explain them how to obtain the purchase code as well and the value is different for each purchase. On the other hand, the api key only has to be generated once and then it works for any theme.

I also assume the purchase verify is done on the update server or else it would be possible to bypass the check and obtain a download link without a purchase code. Even by caching the result, there’s still the possibility to hit the api limit.

BF

Since most buyers only purchase one item this doesn’t matter imo. If they purchase more than one each theme offers a different way to enter the credentials so it’s still confusing.

Purchase code is like a license key for software which is more common. Many do not even know what an API is.

Also the lack of support of WP plugins demands for a custom solution. I can also limit the amount of domains the plugin is used (regular license) which isn’t possible with the “native” method.

492 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

Also the lack of support of WP plugins demands for a custom solution. I can also limit the amount of domains the plugin is used (regular license) which isn’t possible with the “native” method.
I can understand the choice for plugins because currently there’s no other way to give buyers auto updates.

It would be much simpler if envato would just do for plugins what they did for themes. This would allow buyers to just configure their api key once per installation and being able to update all items purchased from TF/CC at once in the same way as they do for theme/plugins installed from wp.org

About the domain check, that’s really another subject.

BF

4 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in Greece
punkstar69 says

On every new download, after the users install a script, is there a way to “activate it” for the first time by entering a purchase id that will be confirmed with envato and if it will fails the script wont unlock?

by
by
by
by
by
by