89 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
LaMusique says

Hi people!

I’m wondering, what kind of endings should I create for my pieces? What sells better? Should all of my pieces end abruptly so I can loop them easily or should I end them normally (with final guitar chords, bass sustain note, cymbals fading out, etc.). I’ve heard somewhere that its a good practice to attach endings as a separate file so it could be used in commercials. But if I follow this advice, how exactly should I make it happen? Should I upload a piece of music that ends abruptly (that loops) and also attach ending (a few bars) that can fit this piece of music and finish it nicely so the buyer could merge both files later? Or should I upload two versions of my music – piece of music that loops and piece of music that ends nicely?

1050 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
Sonicbyte says

I think that approach is difficult maybe because the intro of the track should sound like the end of the track…I think not every track is able to do that without loosing structure or “humanity”.

But for some kinds of tracks maybe is a good idea to give 2 versions…but isn’t that consider a “music packs”? I mean, maybe you can’t upload that like “music” on the upload form

137 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
Trend2kill says

Hey Sergei!

What I do now is I upload as music track, and include a loopable version of the main theme or even 2 looped versions of the theme or bridge!

;)

JD

2699 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

Hey Sergei,

You are allowed to include multiple versions of a track in the same upload if you wish. It will only be priced as one file/submission however. So that affords you the option of uploading a file with different endings.

My personal opinion on how songs end however is that, if it’s a good enough track, the customer is going to buy/use it anyway and it doesn’t really matter how it ends as long as the quality is there. One thing to add to that statement however is that, a customer cannot change a faded-out track, but they can fade out a track themselves, should they wish to, to a track that is looped at the end. So a looped ending actually gives more flexibility than a track that is pre-faded out.

My thoughts are that, whether a track is looped, it ends on a note, or whether it’s faded out should be determined by the composer/producer based on the direction, purpose and creative license of the track. Meaning, I typically figure out the direction of a track I create and how it’s going to end mostly by the genre and how I imagine the track will be used. Envisioning how and where the track will be used (film, game, web, presentation etc…) may be the defining influence on how you close a track. There’s no expectation to loop a gentle, improvised piano piece for example, yet there’s more reason to loop a dance/electronic track if you envision it being used in a game or a Web site.

Again, that’s just a personal opinion, there is no right or wrong answer. Maybe there are some customers here who would like to offer their thoughts? We’d love to hear them. :)

89 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
LaMusique says

As I see the situation, the most customers for such things are people who need music for commercials. They need a definite ending, not fade out. This ending has a special function in a commercial.

2699 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says
As I see the situation, the most customers for such things are people who need music for commercials. They need a definite ending, not fade out. This ending has a special function in a commercial.

Right. If you’re producing a track specifically for use in commercials, makes total sense to add a definite end to the track instead of trying to loop it. Take a look at the 5 top selling corporate tracks on AudioJungle, they all have definite endings. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by