3102 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Hello everyone,

Does anybody have some tips on connecting Adwords with Analytics for our Envato items?

I’m not very proficient in Adwords or Analytics. I have a few landing/demo websites and a few adwords ads. Some ads for marketplace items, some ads for my landing pages. I am trying to combine the Envato Analytics with my own Analytics, then mash that into Adwords Conversions (Tools > Conversions).

I’m really over my head here haha.

Anybody good at this stuff?

Cheers,
Dave

3102 posts
  • Located in Australia
+16 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Oh man, this analytics + adwords integration gets quite involved.

Ping @yomrholmes ! Help !

Are there some step by step instructions to achieve the following:

• Setup an Analytics Report with a Custom View for only 1 marketplace item (tick! done this – I’m seeing visits and hopefully soon some ecommerce conversions for this single item )
  • Setup a basic Adwords campaign to point traffic to my single CodeCanyon item (tick! done)
  • Setup Adwords conversion tracking – based off data from this single Marketplace Item Analytics report. I think this is right: Adwords > Tools > Conversions:
  • Use the Adwords “Focus on Conversions” feature, so that hopefully it will automagically work out which ads produce conversions that show those more:

Is this the right way? Do I just have to wait a few days for the Analytics data to come across to Adwords?

Thanks!

84 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+2 more
yomrholmes Envato team says

oh man @dtbaker you’re getting advanced!

This should work, though I’d suggest another technique for tracking the ROI from AdWords. You have two options:

1) If you want to see how many sales you’re driving and how much revenue you’re earning from AdWords overall, you can head over to ‘Conversions’ ‘Multi Channel Funnels’ ‘Top Conversion Paths’ then search for ‘Paid’. This will show you a) all sales and revenue that came directly from AdWords but also b) all sales that came indirectly from AdWords. For example, it would show you how many people clicked on your ad, then came back a week later to buy (which often happens)

2) If you want to see how individual ads, ad groups, keywords, and targeting techniques are performing inside AdWords, you can go to ‘Acquisition’ ‘AdWords’ and then pull up ‘Secondary Dimensions’ such as ‘keyword’ ‘landing page’ or ‘Ad Content’

You won’t get conversion data inside your AdWords account with either of these techniques, but you’ll still get data on how AdWords is performing, so its not as ideal as getting conversion data and conversion values in AdWords but pretty close I think.

You should still be able to connect your AdWords and Analytics accounts to retrieve conversion data inside AdWords, I just haven’t done that personally. I’ve found in the past though when connecting accounts that it often takes 24 hours for data to come through.

Google help forums are getting increasingly good at helping as well.

Hope this helps. I’ve noticed an increasing number of authors buying ad space over the last couple of months, so hopefully GA is helping for everyone?

3102 posts
  • Located in Australia
+16 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Awesome! That makes sense. I can see some Adwords data in Analytics now and even which keywords are working, I’ll wait a few more days to see if more data comes through.

Is it at all possible to track ‘Adwords Ad Click’ > ‘My 3rd Party Landing Page/Demo Website’ > ‘CodeCanyon Purchase’ ?

I don’t suppose our Author Analytics code is shown on the page that appears after making a purchase? If it does appear on the “thanks for buying” page maybe we can setup that as some sort of goal? (just guessing here, I don’t really know the best way to do it)

Or is tracking a click from an ad, to my website, then to CodeCanyon not at all possible?

Sorry so many questions!

Cheers, Dave

3102 posts
  • Located in Australia
+16 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Can anyone confirm if Analytics transactions are shown in Acquisition > Campaigns?

I notice an increase in sales of my advertised item, but nothing is showing in the report:

\\

8271 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says

whoa this looks pretty complex! :D

3102 posts
  • Located in Australia
+16 more
dtbaker Moderator says

I think I’ve nailed it – lol – this is nasty.

I’m trying to capture conversions from AdWords > My WordPress Website > CodeCanyon > Sale.

Since My WordPress Website and CodeCanyon share different analytics codes this doesn’t really seem to capture the flow automatically.

So, when someone lands on My WordPress Website with utm_* url parameters I now store these in a cookie. Then using javascript I modify all the “codecanyon.net” links on the website to include the same utm_* parameters.

This way I can track campaign links from AdWords to My WordPress Website, and then I can see how many of those campaign clicks make it through to CodeCanyon for a sale. By viewing the two different analytics reports.

There is probably a much better way to do this, like sharing the same analytics code between my wordpress website and envato profile, but that seems a bit scary..

832 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+7 more
wpbakery says

@dtbaker: We have same logic developed a while ago. And I see “clicks” in adwords to my domain, I can see visits with utm_campaign in my site’s analytics account. But 0 clicks with same utm_campaign in codecanyon analytics account. I have tested this few times by myself, and I’m sure that:

1) I find my add in google and then land on my site: domain.com/?utm_campaign=mycamp 2) links are overridden with javascript and when I click them I land on codecanyon.net/my_item_url/?utm_campaign=mycamp 3) no mycamp in the analytics report….

This breaks my brain :)

3102 posts
  • Located in Australia
+16 more
dtbaker Moderator says

This breaks my brain :)

haha!

Well, I think it works here. But I haven’t seen any real clicks yet, just my two test clicks.

All ucm_* parameters are prefixed with a “B” so I can tell which ones have “Bounced” through to the marketplace.

Here’s my two WordPress analytic test clicks:

\\

My my two Marketplace analytics test clicks that went through:

\\

If you’re not seeing anything in your marketplace analytics maybe try the prefix thing?

Hopefully I see some real clicks this week. I still haven’t recorded a real Marketplace conversion from Adwords yet :(

Here’s my (rushed @ 11pm) javascript code to capture utm* parameters on WordPress and pass them through to CodeCanyon:

(if you have better code please share!)

<script type="text/javascript">
function GA_Get_Cookie(e){var t=document.cookie.split(";");var n="";var r="";var i="";var s=false;var o="";for(o=0;o<t.length;o++){n=t[o].split("=");r=n[0].replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g,"");if(r==e){s=true;if(n.length>1){i=unescape(n[1].replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g,""))}return i;break}n=null;r=""}if(!s){return null}}function GA_Set_Cookie(e,t,n,r,i,s){var o=new Date;o.setTime(o.getTime());if(n){n=n*1e3*60*60*24}var u=new Date(o.getTime()+n);document.cookie=e+"="+escape(t)+(n?";expires="+u.toGMTString():"")+(r?";path="+r:"")+(i?";domain="+i:"")+(s?";secure":"")}
var ga_get_params=function(e){var t=function(e,n){var r=n[0];var i=r.split("=");var s=decodeURIComponent(i[0]);var o=decodeURIComponent(i.slice(1).join("="));if(typeof e[s]==="undefined"){e[s]=o}else{e[s]=[].concat(e[s],o)}return n.length==1?e:t(e,n.slice(1))};return e.length==0?{}:t({},e.substr(1).split("&"))}
    var params = ga_get_params(location.search);
    if(typeof JSON != 'undefined' && typeof JSON.stringify != 'undefined'){
        if(params && typeof params.utm_source != 'undefined'){
            GA_Set_Cookie('dtbaker_utm',JSON.stringify(params));
        }
        var c = JSON.parse(GA_Get_Cookie('dtbaker_utm'));
        if(c && typeof c.utm_source != 'undefined'){
            var extra_params = "";
            var capture_params = ['utm_source','utm_medium','utm_campaign','utm_content'];
            for(var i in capture_params){
                if(capture_params.hasOwnProperty(i)){
                    if(typeof c[capture_params[i]] != 'undefined'){
                        extra_params += capture_params[i] + '=B' + c[capture_params[i]].replace(/[\W\s]+/g,"") + '&';
                    }
                }
            }
            // add this to any codecanyon links on the current page.
            jQuery('a[href^="http://codecanyon.net"]').each(function(){
                var h = jQuery(this).attr('href');
                h += (h.match(/\?/) ? '&' : '?') + extra_params;
                jQuery(this).attr('href',h);
            });
        }
    }
</script>
832 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+7 more
wpbakery says

In your links from adw you tag them with all utm_* attributes? Is it enough to have just utm_campaign or utm_source, utm_medium are required too?

by
by
by
by
by
by