84 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
marcusunlimited says

So for the contest the other day, I had my first “hard rejection.” I like the fact that a human being is actually listening to material, however, because of the work I put into it, I was surprised. I do not care to have the “I was robbed,” conversation as I don’t feel that way and it is pointless, however, I do want to have the, “give me clear and exact assignments” conversation.

Do you wish there was a “request assignment button?” wherein some skilled, knowledgeable listeners go over your current profile a bit, listen to 20 seconds of a few tracks and say, “hey this author should really, really give us more …” of the ones already approved? Or, “hey, this author has never given us _ and my ears can tell he could?”

I think that would be cool because the track refused, umm, was the largest time investment yet??? Yikes?

Your thoughts? ~Marcus :)

485 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
Sky-Productions says

Sometimes if you ask, other Authors can give you their opinions. Just make sure to post it in the “Item Discussion” section. Upload it on Soundcloud or something, post the link along with your concerns and you should get some constructive criticism. Make sure you have tuff skin though, as musicians are notoriously sensitive about their music, especially like you said if they’ve spent a lot of time on it. The only way to get over that sensitivity is time and practice. Once you have 100+ tracks you’ll be good :) One track won’t matter that much.

Also know that reviewers are cracking down and rejecting more. I listened to “We Believed In Us” Nice range you have and trills :)

84 posts
  • United States
marcusunlimited says

Sky, thank you for your reply.

I think there was something that did not come through in my own communication I made I am estimating by the reply.

To attempt to clarify, what I was really wanting to suggest and sense feedback on was the idea that we can have these prompts that prevent rejections all around? I mean, would this make more sense in my discussion to say “An ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure any day.” That old saying is encouraging the ideas that site owner desires are established before work investments.

I notice that work superiority is not necessarily correlated to dominant success, I mean it is better here than in many other aspects of modern society, however, I still think clarity on “prevention,” is stronger than burnout creating “cure?”

Does that make more sense?

Please let me know, ~Marcus :)

PS: Super thanks for the compliments :)

Sometimes if you ask, other Authors can give you their opinions. Just make sure to post it in the “Item Discussion” section. Upload it on Soundcloud or something, post the link along with your concerns and you should get some constructive criticism. Make sure you have tuff skin though, as musicians are notoriously sensitive about their music, especially like you said if they’ve spent a lot of time on it. The only way to get over that sensitivity is time and practice. Once you have 100+ tracks you’ll be good :) One track won’t matter that much.
Also know that reviewers are cracking down and rejecting more. I listened to “We Believed In Us” Nice range you have and trills :)
905 posts
  • Australia
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
JBlanks says

I’ve read your post twice, and I think I know what you’re saying. You want AJ to prescribe what you should write in order to prevent future rejection? Or to prompt you for the kind of music they are looking for, and sells. Here’s a link:

http://audiojungle.net/popular_item/by_category?category=music

Regarding additional notes from the reviewers on hard rejected tracks (which I think you’re asking for) this will not happen. Too many authors request details on why their tracks are hard rejected – answering them all takes too much time, and there is no guarantee the author will be able to raise the level of the track based on notes from reviewer. Plus the review queue will go back to 14 days which was the case shortly before you joined AJ. We are all happy this is no longer the case.

Just write the best music you can, feel free to explore various genres, listen to what is selling and take note of what isn’t. You have talent, now you just need to apply instinct and some (more) hard work. Post your track on soundcloud if you want feedback from the community. Post under “Item Discussion”.

If you are looking for a brief/parameters to work within, set them for yourself. That’s what I do when looking at composing a new track, and I know many other composers adopt this approach. No one at Envato is going to give you an assignment unless you land a freelance gig, or enter a Most Wanted comp. Decide what the genre is, what mood you are going for and write something in that vein as best you can with the time available to you. It’s each author’s responsibility to ensure we deliver tracks that have commercial utility and professional mastering and production value.

The only thing that will prevent future rejection is composing great music that is of potential use to our customers. Search the forums as you’re not the first guy to raise this issue. Seek and ye shall find Marcus. :) Good luck.

907 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Kurlykovs says

Turn on TV watch commercials. Listen to that easy going soulless music. Write it sell it.

905 posts
  • Australia
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
JBlanks says

No to the above. I urge you to only write music you are passionate about. Do not write anything soulless.
It will not sell. This is as close to a guarantee as it’s possible to give.

Say “no” to no soul ;) Its cruel symptoms can strike anyone…(link is a joke, advice wasn’t)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZRePZ1OqQE
864 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United States
MichalskiMusic says

Marcus -

Good topic for discussion. I may have a slightly different angle on this.

When I write, I never write with avoiding rejection in mind. Rejection is a word to which has been attached some very negative connotations. the one most frequently attached is that of failure. People have strong feelings about that word, but I no longer view it is a negative at all. Failure is an event, not a person, and it is also to be viewed in the context in which it is presented.

So, what I am trying to say is, rejection is not something to be overtly avoided. It is not something you can control. What you can control is how you respond to it.

To your point about assignments, this is not something, in my opinion, Audiojungle should be doing. it actually restricts the growth of the author as it can easily result in pigeonholing the expectations of how an author performs within a certain genre. Having AJ make these assignments would require them to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of each and every author on AJ and then would require them to choose a prospective set of assignees. Even if this is only a notification, it would be restrictive in that only certain authors would get that notification, if I am understanding your request correctly.

While we face rejection in this business (and most businesses, as far as that goes), what we need to do is change how we view it and not worry about avoiding rejection. We need to view it as an opportunity for growth. Rejection sends us a message. It is up to us to determine how we view that message. The author can decide whether that genre/type of music is really something they are passionate about. If so, they can choose to improve their skills in that area through focused listening and practice. If not, they can move on to something that they feel more passionate about, something in which they are more willing to invest time.

As much as we might dislike rejection, I think we need to change our mindset and embrace it, learn from it, move forward from it. When we do this, we no longer see rejection as time wasted, We see it as time spent growing. And then, we become even more passionate about what we do.

I hope this was somewhat on point and helpful. As you can tell, I am very passionate about how I approach my work. I also refuse to let rejection stop me. But I do use rejection to refocus my attention. Is the action that caused the rejection still worth investing time in? If yes, then I will figure out why my work was rejected by listening and studying and I will make it better. Make doing this, I don’t let AJ or any other buyer limit my potential. I will drive that vehicle, hank you very much. :D

Keep plugging away my friend. You are talented enough to be here. That rejection is just a little speed bump. Pull out the heavy machinery and flatten it.

84 posts
  • United States
marcusunlimited says

Hello JBlanks,

Thank you for your reply and reading my post so well, and I must add I am also thankful for Sky’s reply and the others as well.

Your link actually brings up something that is part of what perplexes me and I look forward to your reply. Please do not perceive anything I am about to say as negative, it is more of a statistical observation and you are free to correct me if I’m wrong.

In those popular items in your link, I see the dominant weight as this:

Smash M—th + Co-dp-ay + Ukelele^100 + Titles which include Summer+Happiness+Brightness.

Can we be, thankfully and with great appreciation honest and say that the next Beethoven’s 5th is not present there? Again I LOVE AUDIOJUNGLE and its community, so if my scientific observation seems cold its just because I am studying the math of it and want to be my best.

So, with these hard number, statistical observations, what if my natural passionate sound is of high caliber and quality, but definitely, generally more elaborate than the equation I presented above. I mean what if the greatest potential masterpiece of my life is called: “The Dark Shadowy Depth of Crag-more Castle” and does not include *GULP Ukelele, and appreciated Major chords?

BTW, in a way the track that was rejected, in a way I’m sort of glad it was as it was me trying to walk closer to the out of my own shell, type of themes. My music seems always positive, but with a dark to it. So, based on the link provided, and yes I’ve seen that page many times, do you think I should try to be more myself musically (which is generally more complicated than Co-dp-ay arpeggios) or, just give in, buy a Uke’ and just play 35351111 35351111 arpeggios through the circle of 5ths?

Thanks for reading my post in detail too, the first couple sentences of your reply were a clearer way of saying what I was trying to get across. I add though that I still think a few measures, designed to bump prevention, could actually reduce man-hours within Aj and encourage stronger investments from some authors in some cases. I would never want that 14 day turn around but the directive idea, only as an add on, seems it would actually reduce Aj manhour time and turn around.

However, all around, thanks! :)

~Marcus,

PS: Typing all this (too many lit courses in college) has given me a cool idea! :)

I’ve read your post twice, and I think I know what you’re saying. You want AJ to prescribe what you should write in order to prevent future rejection? Or to prompt you for the kind of music they are looking for, and sells. Here’s a link: http://audiojungle.net/popular_item/by_category?category=music

Regarding additional notes from the reviewers on hard rejected tracks (which I think you’re asking for) this will not happen. Too many authors request details on why their tracks are hard rejected – answering them all takes too much time, and there is no guarantee the author will be able to raise the level of the track based on notes from reviewer. Plus the review queue will go back to 14 days which was the case shortly before you joined AJ. We are all happy this is no longer the case.

Just write the best music you can, feel free to explore various genres, listen to what is selling and take note of what isn’t. You have talent, now you just need to apply instinct and some (more) hard work. Post your track on soundcloud if you want feedback from the community. Post under “Item Discussion”.

If you are looking for a brief/parameters to work within, set them for yourself. That’s what I do when looking at composing a new track, and I know many other composers adopt this approach. No one at Envato is going to give you an assignment unless you land a freelance gig, or enter a Most Wanted comp. Decide what the genre is, what mood you are going for and write something in that vein as best you can with the time available to you. It’s each author’s responsibility to ensure we deliver tracks that have commercial utility and professional mastering and production value.

The only thing that will prevent future rejection is composing great music that is of potential use to our customers. Search the forums as you’re not the first guy to raise this issue. Seek and ye shall find Marcus. :) Good luck.
84 posts
  • United States
marcusunlimited says

Thanks Michalski,

Great response, I liked them all actually, in a way my initial question was to do exactly what you mentioned you do, this post is about refocusing and getting great assistance in doing so through all the quality responses, like yours which are present.

Thank you, ~Marcus :)

Marcus -

Good topic for discussion. I may have a slightly different angle on this.

When I write, I never write with avoiding rejection in mind. Rejection is a word to which has been attached some very negative connotations. the one most frequently attached is that of failure. People have strong feelings about that word, but I no longer view it is a negative at all. Failure is an event, not a person, and it is also to be viewed in the context in which it is presented.

So, what I am trying to say is, rejection is not something to be overtly avoided. It is not something you can control. What you can control is how you respond to it.

To your point about assignments, this is not something, in my opinion, Audiojungle should be doing. it actually restricts the growth of the author as it can easily result in pigeonholing the expectations of how an author performs within a certain genre. Having AJ make these assignments would require them to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of each and every author on AJ and then would require them to choose a prospective set of assignees. Even if this is only a notification, it would be restrictive in that only certain authors would get that notification, if I am understanding your request correctly.

While we face rejection in this business (and most businesses, as far as that goes), what we need to do is change how we view it and not worry about avoiding rejection. We need to view it as an opportunity for growth. Rejection sends us a message. It is up to us to determine how we view that message. The author can decide whether that genre/type of music is really something they are passionate about. If so, they can choose to improve their skills in that area through focused listening and practice. If not, they can move on to something that they feel more passionate about, something in which they are more willing to invest time.

As much as we might dislike rejection, I think we need to change our mindset and embrace it, learn from it, move forward from it. When we do this, we no longer see rejection as time wasted, We see it as time spent growing. And then, we become even more passionate about what we do.

I hope this was somewhat on point and helpful. As you can tell, I am very passionate about how I approach my work. I also refuse to let rejection stop me. But I do use rejection to refocus my attention. Is the action that caused the rejection still worth investing time in? If yes, then I will figure out why my work was rejected by listening and studying and I will make it better. Make doing this, I don’t let AJ or any other buyer limit my potential. I will drive that vehicle, hank you very much. :D

Keep plugging away my friend. You are talented enough to be here. That rejection is just a little speed bump. Pull out the heavy machinery and flatten it.
907 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Kurlykovs says

No to the above. I urge you to only write music you are passionate about. Do not write anything soulless.
It will not sell. This is as close to a guarantee as it’s possible to give.

Say “no” to no soul ;) Its cruel symptoms can strike anyone…(link is a joke, advice wasn’t)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZRePZ1OqQE

Thank for the video :). But you know what I mean. We all write what we can for soul. But business does not always have the need for such music, nor does it have soul.

by
by
by
by
by
by