285 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+7 more
DarkSunz says

I think this is an awesome idea! Donations would serve as a means of appreciating one’s work. As for the badge idea, I don’t think it should be a contest of how much you donated or how many times you did donate. Please should donate because they want to appreciate ones work, not because they want to get a badge. So I’m against the badge idea.

296 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
theninja says

Haha, personally I wouldn’t say no to a donate feature :P
That being said Envato are a business and it doesn’t make a whole lot of commercial sense for them to add something like this to the marketplaces. Even with the argument that it would stimulate the authors to sell/create more items, I’m pretty sure that’s what the incremental percentage share and all that jazz was put in place for. :bigwink:
I mean, if you really want to show some support you can always contact the author through their profile and give them some love/cash or both!!

629 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
VagrantRadio says
its a great idea and also would be nice get some refund from unsupported themes like Maximus files because one of the top seller and not supported. Donations to good aurthor always will be good and bring better service maybe bec some authors has a great support and sometimes never have worry to buy themes from it.

Support is not required to sell items on the Envato marketplace and what do donations have to do with getting a refund?

Authors already put a donate button in their profiles, if it was implemented on Envato, you can bet they would get a percentage just like they do for sales.

3954 posts After Effects Templates
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 500+ members
+9 more
miseld says

How about DONATION FILE ? Cheap project file (customer buy file, envato get percentage we get small donation) extra few $?

1276 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+15 more
ChristineWilde Envato team says

This is an awesome idea! How are people adding donation buttons already? Does it just link to their PayPal account or something?

2201 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ArikB says

Only if it were optional, I wouldn’t choose it.

I associate donations with work that is provided free of charge, where the customer can then choose to willingly pay me for it. This is not the case here. I provide a product for a set price, I receive a percentage of the money I make from sales. This price is something I agree with or otherwise I do not host the product here if I am unable to get the price changed. I do not want customers paying me extra at will. I consider this to be a breach of my professionalism and harmful to customer relations because this would indicate that one could perhaps get a little bit of extra service when they won’t. It is solely my responsibility to make sure that I gather enough profit from selling my items here, it is not up to the customer to pity me. In my opinion, donations are acceptable when the work delivered is not-for-profit, on this marketplace anything I deliver is for-profit.

So feel free to implement it, just don’t force me to use it.

arquitectostyles
arquitectostyles Recent Posts Threads Started
153 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
arquitectostyles says

Yeah, it should be optional, so that one person out of all the envato marketplaces can choose to not use it… lol

but yeah, this would be a nice way to give authors a tip, especially if they make any updates to a file that benefit the buyers. It wouldnt need to be required, but if the buyer wanted to give an extra thank you, this would be a method in doing so.

Would envato get any cut from this? this would be an interesting question to discuss.

1113 posts
+14 more
3alisha says

That would be just great, it will really stimulate well ! I hope this would also work for 3dOcean…

Cool idea, cheers !

3135 posts
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says
Only if it were optional, I wouldn’t choose it.

I associate donations with work that is provided free of charge, where the customer can then choose to willingly pay me for it. This is not the case here. I provide a product for a set price, I receive a percentage of the money I make from sales. This price is something I agree with or otherwise I do not host the product here if I am unable to get the price changed. I do not want customers paying me extra at will. I consider this to be a breach of my professionalism and harmful to customer relations because this would indicate that one could perhaps get a little bit of extra service when they won’t. It is solely my responsibility to make sure that I gather enough profit from selling my items here, it is not up to the customer to pity me. In my opinion, donations are acceptable when the work delivered is not-for-profit, on this marketplace anything I deliver is for-profit.

So feel free to implement it, just don’t force me to use it.

+1 Arik…good thinking kid!

404 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
JackGriffiths says

I have an idea which relates to this:

If an author releases a new update for a file, authors can request a price on that update. A bit like the AppStore, developers can release paid or free updates for existing customers.

The author could ask reviewers when the update is put in for review for the update to be paid, and then set a price for the update — reviewers can then see if it is reasonable or not.

by
by
by
by
by
by