2223 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
Creattive says

Guys I totally agree with you about changing currency is not a solution. And yes, exchange rates change all the time and envato should not adjust prices by these, since it’s not only about dollar, but also about the cureency you transfer into.

BUT what should be considered is the inflation, like the TO pointed out but most people in this discussion missed. Everyone increases prices over time, if it’s a restaurant, a tailor or whatever. The average price of a bread is a good indicator for inflation.

So, I think it’s best to adjust prices (all prices!) about some percent every 1-2 years. Let’s be honest, buyers don’t care if they spend $5 or $5.20 for an item. They would look at it and say: it costs $5.

So for buyers it won’t be a drastic increase and I honestly doubt that this would have any effect on sales. Not only because the price increase being so small but also because of the types of goods we are selling. We are not selling toys for kids where people say “uh, i don’t need this but it looks fun so let’s look at the price: ah only $5 ok I take it”.

No it’s more like: I need a video/website/plugin, let’s see if I can find something… a there it is, and hey it is super cheap (since it’s envato…), I will buy this.

People who need the item don’t care about price differences of some percent. Because they NEED it and let’s be honest, envato’s prices are unique in the web (at least at videohive).

I have an item for $6 and I get many sales of people who buy it for $8 (because of no prepaid credit). That’s an increase of 25%! and no one cares!

2009 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
matsteiner Envato team says

Guys I totally agree with you about changing currency is not a solution. And yes, exchange rates change all the time and envato should not adjust prices by these, since it’s not only about dollar, but also about the cureency you transfer into.

BUT what should be considered is the inflation, like the TO pointed out but most people in this discussion missed. Everyone increases prices over time, if it’s a restaurant, a tailor or whatever. The average price of a bread is a good indicator for inflation.

So, I think it’s best to adjust prices (all prices!) about some percent every 1-2 years. Let’s be honest, buyers don’t care if they spend $5 or $5.20 for an item. They would look at it and say: it costs $5.

So for buyers it won’t be a drastic increase and I honestly doubt that this would have any effect on sales. Not only because the price increase being so small but also because of the types of goods we are selling. We are not selling toys for kids where people say “uh, i don’t need this but it looks fun so let’s look at the price: ah only $5 ok I take it”.

No it’s more like: I need a video/website/plugin, let’s see if I can find something… a there it is, and hey it is super cheap (since it’s envato…), I will buy this.

People who need the item don’t care about price differences of some percent. Because they NEED it and let’s be honest, envato’s prices are unique in the web (at least at videohive).

I have an item for $6 and I get many sales of people who buy it for $8 (because of no prepaid credit). That’s an increase of 25%! and no one cares!

Exactly, this is my opinion too +1+1+1! Even when it’s $6 instead of $5 !! I think even, the barrier to buy something is sometimes more to get the CreditCard and fill out the payment form!!!!

1677 posts Envato Elite Author
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
Tean says

Price increase was discussed many times, especially for coding marketplaces, and this is something that hopefully should happen soon, but not for the reasons discussed in this topic.

2223 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
Creattive says

Price increase was discussed many times, especially for coding marketplaces, and this is something that hopefully should happen soon, but not for the reasons discussed in this topic.

that prices are far too low for the quality and amount of work you get is out of question. But this demand exists as long as envato does…

594 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+5 more
designcise says

They should consider changing to the Australian or Canadian Dollar which seems to be rising.

@omarabid .. Raising the prices per year definitely seems like a better idea though. Covers up for the inflation bit.

77 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in New Zealand
ChunkStudio says

Two sides to every story – from a buyers perspective;

TODAY: 20/12/2012: 1 New Zealand Dollar equal to 0.84 US Dollar

MY FIRST PURCHASE ON ENVATO: 15/06/2009: 1 New Zealand Dollar equal to 0.52 US Dollar

So I’m buying MUCH MORE today than 3 years ago because it’s a better deal.

Times will of course change, exchange rates will fluctuate, some will win, some will lose. I suppose the only thing that will remain constant is Europeans will still whine about it. ;-)

136 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
ThemeShaper says

I would think the best currency to use would be the one that most buyers use, as it is easier for them to place an internal value on the item. Presumably this currently is the dollar. It would seem silly to add an extra layer of ‘what does this actually cost to me’ by using a currency most people don’t use, and forcing them to make a rough conversion in their head.

By the same token, it would make sense to allow buyers to display prices (and buy) in their own currencies. Not sure how this could be done on the marketplaces tho ;)

Re price raising I would say 2 things:

1)Do it annually, don’t suddenly hike the prices by $10+ like the recent ones on TF. Raise with inflation yearly.

2)Use psychological pricing. Price at $49, $44, $39, $34 etc.

324 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
NikolaSusa says

Tell me about it. I was payed today for some freelance work and got 16% less than usual(after converting).

182 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Russian Federation
cjramirez says

Dollar is doomed. matter of time .. the U.S. government has long since abandoned the gold standard, now it’s just a paper bubble. many are beginning to realize this. Bernanke is not something to do but only pichatat more dollars .. these things, everything changes

Christopher_Boswell
Christopher_Boswell Recent Posts Threads Started
66 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
Christopher_Boswell says

Interesting thread.

Yet, how can I create in a manner consistent with what masters say I must, “Childlike Wonder” with all this HEAVY stuff to worry about?

by
by
by
by
by
by